Motor issues? Kiox just shutting down...

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Wondering if somebody experienced the same as i have latest 2 rides...

About 1100km on my ODO at the moment but recent 2 rides the system just shuts off without any warning or fault code...
What i notice is the following just before it happens

- Assistance is a bit wonky and holding off a bit
- Hearing a slight clonking sound a few times at the same time
- Kiox just shuts off without goodbye message or anything
- i can power it on again and continue riding

it happened yesterday 2x on a 65km ride at around 20km in of that ride.
rest of it went smooth without any issues...

Need to go in for service anyway since headset is cracking like crazy, probably dust built up or lack of grease from the factory

Last edited:

cemoz

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
Has your Kiox fallen out of it’s holder recently, if it has check around the back edges at the bottom to see if any metal is missing. Mine was doing the same as yours turning off without warning with sketchy assistance and clonk. It had cracked some metal off and wasn’t lining up with the contacts in the holder properly. I zip tied it to the holder and it’s been fine since, even if yours hasn’t lost metal try zip tying to see if it’s a contact problem with the holder.

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Has your Kiox fallen out of it’s holder recently, if it has check around the back edges at the bottom to see if any metal is missing. Mine was doing the same as yours turning off without warning with sketchy assistance and clonk. It had cracked some metal off and wasn’t lining up with the contacts in the holder properly. I zip tied it to the holder and it’s been fine since, even if yours hasn’t lost metal try zip tying to see if it’s a contact problem with the holder.
I actually never take it off...
I checked this morning and all contacts were still shiny, a bit of dust around it, cleaned it all and put it back.

but you can power it on without the screen so why should the system completely shut down?

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I´ve had a malfunction last year with a Kiox (Gen3) . It started to loop on, off, but the bike assistente allways on and in tour mode. Replaced by bosch via local dealer under warranty .

Jsibby

Mar 6, 2021
Chichester

About 1100km on my ODO at the moment but recent 2 rides the system just shuts off without any warning or fault code...

Need to go in for service anyway since headset is cracking like crazy, probably dust built up or lack of grease from the factory
I had similar issues and multiple error codes On my cube. I resolved them by removing the plastic protector around the base of the motor, this was completely full of mud and detritus. I cleaned it all up
, removed and cleaned the motor connectors. Hey presto everything resolved. Btw that protector is a crap bit of design.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
You can be lucky your Kiox still works.
I was on holiday in Italy recently, and my wife's Kiox wouldn't turn on. (On or off the bike) Tried re-charging it. When USB was in, then it worked.
I had to buy a new one. It is no longer under guarantee.
It cost €215.00!!!!

Ouch!

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
update on my end, i had to go into surgery from 1 week after the fw reinstall and havent gotten on the bike untill now...
unfortunatly it didn't work. will try again after today's update and a big ride tomorrow.
otherwise i'll have to bring in the bike to change eighter the battery or motor...

what happens still:
Clonking sound like a cog or so gets retracted and same time assistance is down, just happens for about a sec or 2
display eighter goes full shutdown or it ends the ride and shuts off then...
no error code at all

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
I had similar issues and multiple error codes On my cube. I resolved them by removing the plastic protector around the base of the motor, this was completely full of mud and detritus. I cleaned it all up
, removed and cleaned the motor connectors. Hey presto everything resolved. Btw that protector is a crap bit of design.
will try this today but afaik it's not full as i haven't ridden in the dirt

EDIT: Just checked this and just a bit dirty but no mud/leaf build up. reseated all connectors and they looked just as clean.

Last edited:

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Rode a 95k. Ride today and NO shutting down or clonking at all... very odd...
Maybe some dust in connectors/battery that caused it as i remived em and cleaned em yesterday

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
false joy...
today did a 48km ride and last piece it continuously cut the power and shutted down...
no error msg in the app or on screen, nothing...
was riding just on a road, nothing spectacular, i stopped to feel motor temp and i think it was hardly 35-40 degrees max...

As it's gonna rain anyway coming days, i'm bringing it in tomorrow

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
So... called yesterday and found out that bosch only wanted them to reflash the bikes firmware...
As there is no errorcode visible with the issue that i am experiencing bosch doesnt want to investigate any further...

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Update: Bike is still in the store (shitty weather anyway) and they told me Bosch wanted to inspect the battery...
haven't heard anything for a week now so i'll call em today probably for an update

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Just got it and tbh battery doesn't seem new so i hope it's just one they have as "refurbished" or replaced the internals... tbc...

Dec 16, 2022
Zapopan Jalisco, Mexico

Had the same issue last Sunday in a 40 KM ride the bike turned off about 10 times without any fault code or massage. I could turn it back on with no issue.

To me it seemed that it would turn off when I needed more power. If the trail was flat it did not turn off but in the climbs and rocky part it did.

The bike is at the shop now and I was told that when they plugged the diagnostic program it showed an issue with the Kiosk display, they said the might need to change it ( under warranty of course) but I will know today when I pick up the bike if they did change it and on Sunday if the change worked or not.

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Had the same issue last Sunday in a 40 KM ride the bike turned off about 10 times without any fault code or massage. I could turn it back on with no issue.

To me it seemed that it would turn off when I needed more power. If the trail was flat it did not turn off but in the climbs and rocky part it did.

The bike is at the shop now and I was told that when they plugged the diagnostic program it showed an issue with the Kiosk display, they said the might need to change it ( under warranty of course) but I will know today when I pick up the bike if they did change it and on Sunday if the change worked or not.
Ha. With me it was also on flat roads... and diagnostic did show something about the battery.
Hope they changed some cells atleast .. been there for frkin 2 months nearly.

Atleast it was absolute shit weather...

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Just got it and tbh battery doesn't seem new so i hope it's just one they have as "refurbished" or replaced the internals... tbc...
Bosch don’t do refurbished batteries (well they don’t in the uk) the LBS may have replaced it with different used one, but if it’s new it’ll have very few if any charge cycles on the print out from the diagnostics. Ask you LBS for a print out of the diagnostics.

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Bosch don’t do refurbished batteries (well they don’t in the uk) the LBS may have replaced it with different used one, but if it’s new it’ll have very few if any charge cycles on the print out from the diagnostics. Ask you LBS for a print out of the diagnostics.
ohhh if they just left my bike there for 2month's i'm gonna be so pissed...
the KIOX app still says same amount of charges (maybe this is with the electronics all combined) i didnt check the serials before and after tbh... it did have the same key but maybe that's transferable...

EDIT: Just went out because i know i would not sleep otherwise :D
Took batt of and despite a little dusty, it did have a sticker on from Bosch dating 13/1/2023 with a QR code. big oof :D

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
First ride yesterday without any hickups... fingers crossed it stays like this.
only thing i noticed was some rattle when going up and down bumps, have to see if it's the battery or the classic bosch clonk

Dec 16, 2022
Zapopan Jalisco, Mexico

Reporting back!
After trying 3 different Kiosk displays and the bike having the same issue regardless.
The shop finally decided to actually troubleshoot the issue instead of just relaying on the Bosch diagnostics info, as the only error code it showed was display issue.
Once the took the motor off the found that the cable that goes form the motor to the sensor was pressed between the motor and the frame causing a short which caused the motor to cut off.

They replaced the cable and everything worked.
I took the bike yesterday for a 40Km ride no issues.

390a482f-9410-4ff1-99e6-fd2b31a69abc.jpg

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Reporting back!
After trying 3 different Kiosk displays and the bike having the same issue regardless.
The shop finally decided to actually troubleshoot the issue instead of just relaying on the Bosch diagnostics info, as the only error code it showed was display issue.
Once the took the motor off the found that the cable that goes form the motor to the sensor was pressed between the motor and the frame causing a short which caused the motor to cut off.

View attachment 105597
Great to hear!!
It seems a general issue that the error reporting of Bosch isn't that great...

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Great to hear!!
It seems a general issue that the error reporting of Bosch isn't that great...
Is like with cars. 🥴 Recently had brake /Abs error in a Toyota and in the end (after some diging ) it was one blown stop rear light . :oops:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Reporting back!

View attachment 105597
Ooh, that's not pretty!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles