Mondraker 2022

turn_one

Nov 29, 2019
WA state USA
Any recent Level R opinions out there? Trying to decide between an al Crafty RR or a Level R, info has been difficult to find on these bikes. Moderately concerned about part (bearings) availability in the US.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Any recent Level R opinions out there? Trying to decide between an al Crafty RR or a Level R, info has been difficult to find on these bikes. Moderately concerned about part (bearings) availability in the US.

I have the 2021 Level R with the 625Wh battery. It's a tank of a bike (27.5kg in XL - I think the newer model might have shaved some of that weight off) but I really like how it rides. The suspension seems to work really well and handles big hits nicely. If you want something that feels like a heavy DH bike then I'd go for the Level, the crafty should be a bit more playful and may suit trail riding a bit better.

The bearings are just standard sizes so you should be able to order from anywhere. Getting anything from Mondraker is a pain, I've been waiting for seals for my spare battery cover for months now.

turn_one

Nov 29, 2019
WA state USA
I have the 2021 Level R with the 625Wh battery. It's a tank of a bike (27.5kg in XL - I think the newer model might have shaved some of that weight off) but I really like how it rides. The suspension seems to work really well and handles big hits nicely. If you want something that feels like a heavy DH bike then I'd go for the Level, the crafty should be a bit more playful and may suit trail riding a bit better.

The bearings are just standard sizes so you should be able to order from anywhere. Getting anything from Mondraker is a pain, I've been waiting for seals for my spare battery cover for months now.

Good info, thanks.

A shop here in the states has Level R in stock but I think I agree with you regarding the overall ride-ability of the Crafty. They’ll have AL RRs in a month.

Nov 26, 2021
USA
Any one know if it's possible to get more of the cable that goes to the kiox display on a 22 carbon crafty?
I'd like to flip the mount around but don't have enough cable length sticking out.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I flipped mine, could do with being a bit longer but it's not under tension. Now in same sort of position as the Shimano display

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Anyone popped a 27.5 wheel in the back to try it as a mullet? I had a go on a freinds 2022 crafty SL and it feels amazing in very respect, although cornering Round steep tight switchbscks felt quite difficult coming off a Megawatt.

it feels so much stiffer and lighter than a megawatt, feels like your on a normal bike. A large mondraker is noticably bigger than an XL megawatt. Going back to my megawatt, it felts really flexy, not as confident in a straight line, but corners much better.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Tak, zrobiłem to. Mam 177 cm wzrostu i 29" dotykałem mojego tyłka na stromych zjazdach lub skokach. 27,5 nie ma takiego problemu i jest trochę bardziej żwawy, ale mój drugi pełny rower 27,5/27,5 jest zdecydowanie bardziej zwinny. Ale nadal wolę Mondraker. tak posadzony i po prostu ścina wzgórza jak szybki czołg.

IWGVfYCDIYAXF-SWFV6vJl-lqzqBE4T69pUj7deHmkg-2048x1152.jpg

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Tak, zrobiłem to. Mam 177 cm wzrostu i 29" dotykałem mojego tyłka na stromych zjazdach lub skokach. 27,5 nie ma takiego problemu i jest trochę bardziej żwawy, ale mój drugi pełny rower 27,5/27,5 jest zdecydowanie bardziej zwinny. Ale nadal wolę Mondraker. tak posadzony i po prostu ścina wzgórza jak szybki czołg.

View attachment 90522
Thanks! Is the seat angle affected much, or is it still very comfortable pedal?

rodgemx125

May 8, 2021
Uk
I'm looking at a 2022 crafty rr aluminium, either that or cube stereo action team or orbea wild. Anyone own or riden one yet? Reviews say the rear suspension is different to other brands

robi950rally

Apr 13, 2022
Gallarate
Looking at a Crafty XR. It's available only in L size and I have to buy it online. I'm 187cm tall. Anyone here who can help me? Would it fit or too small?

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I'm 191cm and had an XL R (sadly had to sell it). I sat on an XL XR and a L R in the shop and could ride either so reckon you'll be fine on an L, they are long bikes

devargos

Jan 17, 2022
Jersey
I am 185cm and have a L Crafty XR

I couldn't believe how big it felt at first. It's not too big but I certainly wouldn't want to go any bigger personally.

I think you will be sound on a large @robi950rally it won't feel too small at all I think.

Bounderwater

Jun 29, 2020
Vancouver Island, BC
Looking to get a Crafty Carbon soon. What do you guys think about the Crafty Carbon RR vs. Carbon XR? They are similar priced and share many of the same components.

I have no experience with Ohlins suspensions but heard good things about them. I like ride rough terrain and currently has coil shock and Fox fork on my Emtb. It sounds like that Crafty has a stiffer platform, does the Ohlins perform better with that platform? Any XR owners can share your experience?

I would upgrade the brakes and change the fork travel to 170mm if I get the Carbon RR. XR has better brakes and the only thing that I am not so sure about its the dropper. Both need better tire casings...anyway, please share your thoughts :)

Nov 26, 2021
USA
I love my Carbon Xr so far. The ohlins suspension has been great much better than the first gen stuff on the Specialized Enduros.
I have had to replace my air spring once due to the ramp up changer valve getting snapped off on the trail.

The guides would be over worked for sure on this bike. The codes after a proper bleed are great. Tires I've switched the from out to a Michelin e-wild and just waiting for the rear to come back in stock. The pija dropper I honestly think is pretty good. The stock lever is a weird shape so I switched it out for a wolftooth lever.

The stock stem and seat post clamp I had to replace neither one would hold right even if over torqued and pasted. The stem would always easily rotated on the steerer and the post clamp would always let the dropper slide down. The headset is odd to setup at first I don;t think the lower bearing was full seated from the factory. I wrapped some mastic tape around the steerer tube as well to quiet down some of the cable noise. Stock carbon bars are very compliant they may feel to flex for some people. but that's just getting picky. Also since your in Canada we don't get the Mind system yet.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I had the RR, aside from the brakes the other main weak point are the wheels, absolute trash according to the reviews, a guy I know also has the 22 R and destroyed his rims within a couple of months. I swapped mine for DT Swiss before riding. I also changed to a 200mm Reverb (don't think there was much wrong with the OnOff, just not long enough). I also changed the bars, stem and tyres but think that's more personal preference (prob wants a tougher casing on the rear) . Was going to change to 170 fork but unfortunately had to sell it

The XR looks mint, wheels are much higher spec but don't know what they're like. If you like playing with graphics and stuff though the carbon R is a blank canvas, I was going to go for neon pink fork, shock and possibly downtube graphics to really make it pop! Slik said they could do a neon pink chrome foil.....

Last edited:

Bounderwater

Jun 29, 2020
Vancouver Island, BC
I had the RR, aside from the brakes the other main weak point are the wheels, absolute trash according to the reviews, aguy I know also has the 22 R and destroyed his rims within a couple of months. I swapped mine for DT Swiss before riding. I also changed to a 200mm Reverb (don't think there was much wrong with the OnOff, must not long enough). I also changed the bars, stem and tyres but think that's more personal preference (prob wants a tougher casing on the rear) . Was going to change to 170 fork but unfortunately had to sell it

The XR looks mint, wheels are much higher spec but don't know what they're like. If you like playing with graphics and stuff though the carbon R is a blank canvas, I was going to go for neon pink fork, shock and possibly downtube graphics to really make it pop! Slik said they could do a neon pink chrome foil.....
Both Carbon RR and XR come with Mavic E-Deemax S 29 rims in 2022, I assume you are talking about those?

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Apologies, I had the Carbon R (silver /grey) which has the crap standard E-deemax, I don't know how much better the S models on the RR/XR are but I think they retail at around twice the price so would expect them to be substantially improved

Bounderwater

Jun 29, 2020
Vancouver Island, BC
Apologies, I had the Carbon R (silver /grey) which has the crap standard E-deemax, I don't know how much better the S models on the RR/XR are but I think they retail at around twice the price so would expect them to be substantially improved
Thanks! I hope the S model wheels will hold up well, cannot find any reviews on them.

I plan to change the bar and stem to my preferred setup, also tougher casing for tires with Cush core in the rear. Never had carbon cranks before, hope they will last.

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Finally received my 22 Crafty RR after ordering in March.
Swapped tyres out for Magic Marys , 5 DEV 160mm cranks and All Around pedals , Ergo GA3 grips , custom rear mudguard. Trimmed bars to 780mm. It's a rocket!
DSC_0038.jpg

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
I bought a Crafty RR in June. The ride quality is phenomenal. It’s the best riding bike I’ve ever had and it’s also incredibly well spec’d for the money. It rides rock solid and on trails and for normal riding it’s more comfortable than my old Levo Pro and my new Rail. The rear feels bottomless. Also, it has more power than any other bike I’ve ridden. There’s something about the tune that Mondraker uses with the Bosch system. I’m not sure why but I don’t like riding it at the bike park.

tank sinatra

Oct 20, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Finally received my 22 Crafty RR after ordering in March.
Swapped tyres out for Magic Marys , 5 DEV 160mm cranks and All Around pedals , Ergo GA3 grips , custom rear mudguard. Trimmed bars to 780mm. It's a rocket!
View attachment 96300
I lnow this is an old thread. However I've very curious, what size bike frame and how tall you are? Trying to decide between a Large Level R & XL Crafty RR. Cheers!

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
I lnow this is an old thread. However I've very curious, what size bike frame and how tall you are? Trying to decide between a Large Level R & XL Crafty RR. Cheers!
It's a medium frame , I am ~180cm tall. I'm in between sizes , a large would probably be fine but I prefer a smaller bike , always have.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles