• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Monarch Debonair RT

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I have this shock on a bike. This line is well known for running high pressures & mine needs around 275 psi to achieve 20% sag. After servicing the air can last week, it's blown my shock pump which was a cheapy in fairness. The question is if I add a few bottomless rings or a gnarr dog to ramp up the progression, would that also leave me requiring less air to inflate it to the same sag level? I can't work out in my head if it would or not.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
275 psi isn't over the top, but depending on the bike you should be aiming for 25/30% sag seated in your riding position, in all your riding gear. Bottomless tokens mainly effect the last part of the stroke but can have a mild effect on sag points as well. Set the sag properly and if you bottom out regularly then start adding tokens.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Which monarch RT are you running.
You have to understand, depending on the eye to eye, stroke and most importantly, shock tune, this will differ.
My Stumpy 2016 6fattie and my Levo 2018 comp both run Rockshox monarch plus rc3's (same eye to eye and stroke) but both are different in terms of shock tune to give my levo more mid stroke support and my Stumpy with a lighter tune.

To answer your question (theoretically), running more volume spacers doesn't effect the maximum recommend PSI of the shock. However, subject to the suspension design (single pivot, single pivot linkage driven, 4bar, 6bar etc), you're just altering the progression.

But as I said, please kindly provide details of the shock eye to eye and stroke and what bike its installed on. I should be able to work it out from there ?

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
'Yes' is your answer. Generally.

Adding tokens increases progression from the off (not just mid or end stroke) so you will get less sag for the same pressure.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Wow, responses like this will ensure you get super helpful answers in the future ?
Fair.

So is RTFQ, so swings & roundabouts. With respect Bass slapping dude, I asked a specific question about air pressure post tokens in a shock & if you re-read your reply, you gave a lesson on what tokens do & how to set sag & noted 275psi isn't excessive in these shocks, which I had already mentioned, and isn't in any event what I asked, hence the response. I'm not trying to be rude to you by any means but you read the question & answered several different, unasked ones.

HTH. If not, then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Bottomless tokens mainly effect the last part of the stroke but can have a mild effect on sag points as well.

I kinda did.

And 20% sag isn't enough on the majority of bikes, especially if the start of the levrage curve is regressive. If you try and compensate with tokens to get 20% sag at What you consider to be a reasonable pressure all sorts of weird and wonderful things can happen. Just one of which is overwhelming the HSR circuit on deep compression events. So your bike will end up riding like a POS.....

Maybe I didn't answer your specific question specifically, but alarm bells were ringing in my head.

FYI megneg and debonair sleeves don't play well with everything.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles