Mission Control

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
Relatively new to ebikes, so please bear with me
I have a Specialized Levo and was wondering what the effect would be if I set Smart Control before I set out riding to on, 10% battery to remain after say 3 hours riding.
Would the bike respond completely different ??
I am around 100kg fully loaded
Assume total climbing around 2500 foot.

I want to ride at least 26 miles without getting a twitchy bum regarding running out of battery.
Currently get 19 miles with 20% left, so touching cloth.
Hence looking to see if Smart Control is a possible answer

I accept I need to experiment, but given the forecasted weather this weekend I may not get the chance
Thanks

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Is it a 500wh battery? What mode are you riding in currently? Type of riding?

You’re lighter than me - I did 10 miles yesterday and rode most of it in eco, I was surprised how much assistance it still provided. Settings were 30/60/100 with 20% on shuttle and acceleration and I used 21% of the battery. I should think that 26 miles is easily doable if you’re in the lower support modes?

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
Hi, its the 500wh battery.
Peak district riding and trails.

I used 28% last night on a 10 mile ride with 900 foot of climbing.
I was messing with the settings which I need to do more of.

The issue I expect to have is that the guys I ride with will want to go further, they have Trek bikes which have the same battery power but greater range due (I guess) to the Trek motor not being as powerful (or as good IMHO). We are all of similar fitness albeit I am the heaviest.

That's the reason I ask regarding switching to Smart control before I set off, it would negate battery anxiety which is becoming worse than my fear of moths. Just trying to understand if there is a downside to doing that.

Cheers

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Its an interesting question and something I have yet to play with. My worry with smart control is that it could force such a low level of assistance that the ride is less fun! So far my process has been to use the modes until I only have 3 bars left and some miles to go and then only use ECO. My normal rides on natural forest trails usually amount to about 15 miles and 2.5 hours and I know I can use whatever modes I like and only use about 50% battery so that is my baseline but it does not help for adventure rides where the terrain is unknown and distance further. My longest adventure ride so far was 25 miles and the terrain was very rocky and a lot of slow climbing. I would not expect any ride to be harder as far as rolling resistance. That ride used 70% battery. I am about to do a 35 mile ride....I expect battery life to be marginal for that!

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
From everything I’ve read the smart control feature works very well. I haven’t had my bike long enough to try it so I’m not sure how it decides how much power to give you. I.e., if you’re on a massive climb presumably it’ll give you more power but how does it know there isn’t another massive climb on the ride?

Sorcery.

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
Indeed and my concern in not knowing what’s coming up next is leaving the battery low and the climbs that remain are void of much support as it’s trying to conserve power for another hour remaining of the ride.
700wh battery is the obvious answer but the price is beyond reach at the moment

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
Its an interesting question and something I have yet to play with. My worry with smart control is that it could force such a low level of assistance that the ride is less fun! So far my process has been to use the modes until I only have 3 bars left and some miles to go and then only use ECO. My normal rides on natural forest trails usually amount to about 15 miles and 2.5 hours and I know I can use whatever modes I like and only use about 50% battery so that is my baseline but it does not help for adventure rides where the terrain is unknown and distance further. My longest adventure ride so far was 25 miles and the terrain was very rocky and a lot of slow climbing. I would not expect any ride to be harder as far as rolling resistance. That ride used 70% battery. I am about to do a 35 mile ride....I expect battery life to be marginal for that!
I can only dream of 35 miles, I would be happy with 26 miles. I am taking the bike in for a service soon at my LBS, I will ask one of the guys there what their experience is.

Last edited:

balbo

Jun 13, 2019
Bologna, Italy
What are
I can only dream of 35 miles, I would be happy with 26 miles. I am taking the bike in for a service soon at my LBS, I will ask one of the guys there what their experience is.

How did you set eco/trail/turbo? If I go for a long ride then I set eco 15 - 35PP / trail 35 - 70PP and I am able to ride 50km and 1000mt uphill and battery Isn’t dead. I am 92kg

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
What I don't get with Smart Control is how it can have any idea what the nature of your route is like. Does the algorithm simply assume 50% climbing and 50% descending? What if you do a 20km uphill ride?

I have been riding on the Alps this summer with my 2018 Levo, mainly on Eco set at 35/20. I used Trail 40/100 when it started to get steep or on long stretches with no shade, if I was starting to overheat. I was pleased with the range, but have no idea how it would have coped on Smart.

AndyH

Jun 23, 2019
Portsmouth
I ride without smart control and on the standard settings- mostly on OFF ?, eco and trail when needed - rarely. Boost to get up a short bank or other obstacles... I can do 35 miles on about 45% battery so maybe you just need to consider if smart mode is for you, or you can be smarter... turn it off going downhill or on the flat, and on when you need it rather than when you want it....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles