Mission Control - Smart Control

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I guess as long as Smart control is still running using the same settings, I don’t really care about the mileage, etc. I have my Garmin for that.
I’m just concerned that the smart control has disconnected and not working properly.
I have found if you walk too far away from bike it will disconnect, I have set on auto ride so should reconnect but usually check before I start as you say no bigger deal .

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
I don't know if IOS has this feature but on my Android I lock the app to block it from Battery Saver feature and allow it to run interrupted in the background.

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
I had my first ride using Smart control today. I had expected to do a few miles then revert to my usual but turns out I was most impressed. I also had Strava running and had no issues with either.
I set distance to 25 miles and 20% battery remaining.
First impression was how good the assistance increased depending on my input. Something I’ve not been able to get right, particularly with turbo mode and I’ve tried all variations of support levels. Anything from 70% upwards (support) ive found no matter how much I back off peddling the motor just keeps pulling like it’s in 100%. Anything less than 70% and i never feel like I’m getting full power.
So today was bit of an eye opener with how good the power increased / decreased with my power input.
I did 22 miles and came home with 55% battery remaining but had noticed the last 5 miles was all full power as the system new it could afford to splash out a bit.
I’ll be using the function again that’s for sure.

babarnicle

Nov 9, 2019
Usa
Hi All,

Just FYI we fixed a bug where SMART control would cut out prematurely. In the latest version of the app (2.2.1) this should not happen - we also added a minimum support slider for HR control as requested by a few riders on this forum.

Hey @Specialized Rider Care
Thank you for building in the minimum support setting in HR control. It is amazing. I ride at minimum set to zero and HR set to somewhere in my zone 4. I dial the HR up 5bpm to get a better workout and down 5-10 for longer days out.
PLEASE- I would love to see a Peak Power setting in the HR smart control. The goal is for me to dial in a maximum watt output to save battery over a long day out. Right now, I have no way of knowing how much power comes out of the motor when I’m over my set heart rate.
If I know I’m going out for an all day ride, I can set the peak power to let’s say 40% knowing that even if I’m close to my red zone HR wise, the bike will only be supplying a set amount of support and therefore conserving battery through the day.

Or can you please share with us the general algorithm that is used for HR smart control? Mainly how much support and peak power the motor provides for each HR bpm over the set HR in mission control? Does the support and peak power increase in a specific curve when I’m over my set HR or under my HR? Thanks.

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
Yesterday I experimented with the Smart Control HR feature, but just ended up more puzzled than anything. Despite setting my target HR at 130bpm, I was still on 20% support at 168bpm, and TBH, when my heart is beating that hard I am struggling to think the problem through.

I would have assumed that the motor would be working hard at that point to give assistance and allow my HR to drop to the target set.

I switched off Smart Control and the bike had oodles more power.

Does it matter what mode/preset you are in when Smart Control is activated?

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
I like the heart rate smart control. I just have one issue with it. A lot of places I ride has steep ups and downs. So after I come off a downhill and have to start peddling back up I have almost no assist. Just the min which is set at 20%. Takes a while to get my heart rate back up and over the set 140. Is there any way to over ride the heart rate assist without having to go through the app then reengaging it?

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
I tried this the other day - switching into Smart Control HR mode from Eco and then from Turbo to see if it made a difference. It didn't.

I just don't seem to be getting the support that I know the motor can give. With Target HR set at 100bpm, and my heart firing away at 165bpm+ (HR paired to app, and HR showing on App screen) I am still not getting the support I would expect. That point I would expect the motor to be giving full assist.

I am off out for a ride now to experiment again. I have just uninstalled, then re-installed, Mission Control to my phone.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I couldn't be bothered faffing about with it . Did 3 miles it had no life in it so switched back to normal. . I know I can get x amount with x amount climbing. Same with Blevo I looked and all too technical for me.

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
I faffed around yesterday. The only adjustment that seems to have any effect is moving the Minimum Support slider. Even then it seems to give me that level of support regardless of heartrate. I just can't seem to get this to work.

If it works as I understand it is supposed to I would use it almost all the time.

I'm on a 2018 Levo, running Mission Control 2.2.1 Build 56, on a Samsung Galaxy A3.

Can anyone shed any light?

Django

Nov 11, 2020
Belgium
Today I used smart control for the first time...and was pleasantly surprised. However , after my ride I'm very interested on the support I got during my ride. So, is there a possibility to see the assist changes that took place during my ride. Is that data logged somewhere?

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
I gave the smart control a first try yesterday with my Gen3 Levo and my Pixel 6 Pro.
Got the same as many have been describing here 2.5 years ago. It just doesn't work reliably. It sets a a reasonable support level initially and then never changes it again. No matter if HR, milage or duration controlled.
Phone screen was on and at the stem, 10cm from the TCU. App excluded from any power manegment.

If I consider when this problem already had been reported I guess Spec just gave up on it, dind't they?

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
I gave the smart control a first try yesterday with my Gen3 Levo and my Pixel 6 Pro.
Got the same as many have been describing here 2.5 years ago. It just doesn't work reliably. It sets a a reasonable support level initially and then never changes it again. No matter if HR, milage or duration controlled.
Phone screen was on and at the stem, 10cm from the TCU. App excluded from any power manegment.

If I consider when this problem already had been reported I guess Spec just gave up on it, dind't they?
I took the TCU2 off of my Gen3 so I could go back to using Blevo where the Smart Control actually works.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

I tried it once ike felt dead

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles