Mismatched Brakes Code and Mt7

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
I am less than thrilled with my Code R brakes on my kenevo after some real downhill today. Have any of you guys ran 2 different brakes at the same time?

I am thinking about buying a front Mt7 and a 220 rotor as this is all I can afford at the moment. Ideally I would update the rear at a later date. Woukd this be problematic in terms of 2 different types of braking power and feel?

Any input woukd be greatly appreciated!,

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I've got Shimano Zee on the front and the standard Magura Trail on the rear, I changed the front after I had problems with the Magura set up, couldn't justify the expense of the Magura MT7.

Maybe it's my lack of skill contributing but, aesthetics aside, it doesn't bother me at all having different types, I will change the rear to shimano at some point though.

Edit: I meant Zee not Vee :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
It would be fine but but my ocd would be triggered by having mismatching levers.
Agree the codes are rubbish, they are meant to be the decent sram brakes arent they?
I went with saint front & rear. MT7;'s are great though, I have them on my DH bike.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
I am going to try Code RSC levers first. I have got other bike with guides ultimates and they are good.
the rsc levers have good adjustments for pad contact and lever position but won't change power, i used discobrakes kevlar pads for slightly better power but they wear out more quickly than sintered

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just ordered Zee's for my Kenevo. Plan to swap the rear first and run like that just to get an idea of feel in (semi) direct comparison. (obviously comparing front with back won't give me a direct comparison, but it will give me an idea and I think will be easier to compare than completely swapping and relying on my memory hating the codes and saying wow, the zee are amazing).

I do hate my codes though. Some people love them, everyone's different.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I do hate my codes though. Some people love them, everyone's different.
Donate them to someone who has a BIG birthday coming up, doesn't drag their brakes and happens to like a more subtle lever feel than the all out power of Saint/Zee.

*hint hint*

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Donate them to someone who has a BIG birthday coming up, doesn't drag their brakes and happens to like a more subtle lever feel than the all out power of Saint/Zee.

*hint hint*

That's one to work the brain ...

I thought, uhm .. He means @Gary ... Then I noticed the clue :

Cleverly saying "It's not GARY !" :)

So I thought it's @dobbyhasfriends .... but he's already got crap brakes and doesn't need anymore.

Then I thought ... uhm... @Gary's scottish .. what's a tight birthday present ? .. ah , he means give them to myself for my BIG birthday ! costs nowt ! Genius ! :)

I don't really want them thought .. I'll gladly swap the pair of SRAM's finest wet weather rotary horns for a lovely shiny new Front Shimano Zee .. I only bought the rear to see how that felt ..

Then I'm going to bulk buy them, re-name them and introduce them to the world as Zeemerframe brakes .. saves on the re-badging costs ..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks for all of the replies. In the end, I bought a set of Saints which are being installed now!

Just threw the ZEE on the back of mine and went for a quick test ride .. So so so much nicer ! If you're using the original rotors give them a good sand/clean first.

Need to get a ZEE or saint for the front now and possibly change the rotor to stop the scream (still get it with the rear SRAM rotor). Maybe upgrade to a 220 just because (and it has been said it doesn't scream - maybe the extra 0.2mm thickness. )

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
Just threw the ZEE on the back of mine and went for a quick test ride .. So so so much nicer ! If you're using the original rotors give them a good sand/clean first.

Need to get a ZEE or saint for the front now and possibly change the rotor to stop the scream (still get it with the rear SRAM rotor). Maybe upgrade to a 220 just because (and it has been said it doesn't scream - maybe the extra 0.2mm thickness. )
220 is definitely on my to buy list, just trying to decide what one to get between the trickstuff, galfer 223, or sram 220. In the end probably will be the sram as it is the easiest one for me to source.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles