Miranda 150mm Cranks for my 2022 Reign.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Did anyone watch Ali Clarkson's latest video about his 145mm Pinnd cranks? Mostly riding but some discussion about the pros and cons. I'm still tempted to get a pair of these.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Just fitted some Miranda 152 cranks to my cube with a gen 4 Bosch motor.

The 152 came up on sale so I grabbed a pair. Visual quality is okay, certainly nothing to write home about, but about what I'd expect for the price. If they are strong enough to do the job I'll be happy.

Unfortunately the listing didn't state what Q factor they are, and they are around 7mm wider on each side, so 14mm overall.

E-thirteen crank
IMG_20240107_100505.jpg

Miranda Crank

IMG_20240107_122322.jpg

Going to see how I get on with them, I'm hoping they might suit me as I sometimes found my heel catching the chain stay with the e-thirteen cranks.

One question for anyone that has fitted these to a Bosch Gen 4, Did you use the stock crank bolts and if so did you notice that the outer seal/washer could be spun even when the bolt was tight?

Here you can see I've put a witness mark on the right hand side of the bolt and on the crank arm, but you can see the witness mark on the seal/washer has moved round to the left side.
I can spin the seal/washer with my finger, but the bolt is done up tight.

Is this an issue, do I need to get hold of some different crank bolts?

It's strange as the drive side seem fine and doesn't move.

IMG_20240107_124537.jpg

Cheers.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I just got Miranda Kies 150 Q:16 for my 2022 Reign E+2 (directly from Miranda)
I am not an experienced bike mechanic, what is the torque level for these?
Any other tips for a novice installer?
Thanks.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
With the Miranda Dealer’s manual found on their site and the help of Youtube (thanks ParkTool) I was able to complete the work. I’m anxious to try, I’ll find out in the spring…
The 150mm Miranda Kies cranks are 78g heavier than the stock Praxis 160mm.
Cheers everyone 🍺

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
For the Bosch gen 4 motor I believe the crank bolt should be tightened to 30nm, It maybe similar for the Yamaha but check first.
My Torque wrench only goes up to 25nm so that's what they got, I put a witness mark on them so I can easily check if they are coming loose. I didn't want to overtighten them as I need to easily remove them to grease the motor seals.

I have the 153mm and tried them for the first time last weekend and could immediately feel a big difference. Stand over felt different, strangely I felt like my weight was further forwards, I thought they would have had the opposite effect?
A slight bar rotation improved this and I soon adjusted.
The largest difference was in leverage and cadence, On climbs I could feel my legs working harder.

Plus side, not a single pedal strike all day.

I need to put some more time on them, the main reason for me changing was to help reduce pedal strikes and I think the trade-offs are minimal and worth it.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
I just got Miranda Kies 150 Q:16 for my 2022 Reign E+2 (directly from Miranda)
I am not an experienced bike mechanic, what is the torque level for these?
Any other tips for a novice installer?
Thanks.
Generally 50Nm. Use Self extracting Bolts makes it much easier getting them off, pretty sure they come with them if you bought direct, its fairly straightforward sure you will be fine :).

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
I am on my 4th set over 3 years and 2 bikes. If you really smash them into a rock you will slightly bend them, you will be able to finish the ride.

I much prefer to have the crank bear the brunt of such impacts than the motor.

There is very little reason for alu cranks to cost more, even Shimano sell theirs at a similar price.
I think I have bent one of mine Im not 100% yet if its crank or the pedal spindle, They are DMR Vaults which are pretty tough so my guess is the Crank, i have a spare set of Vaults so trying those first its only minor and i end up not noticing it after 10-15 min of riding lol. I will probably get another set of Miranda although I have seen PINND Cranks and they look gorgeous and they do a 145mm which for me would be perfect they are 3x the price of the Miranda though :unsure:

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Regarding the torque: I believe it is 50Nm, as above my wrench tops out at 30... That said, the original OEM cranks were a nightmare to get off, the non-drive side in particular required me to stand on the wrench+ push my weight down by pressing off the ceiling!

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
50nm is crazy high for such a small bolt,
I'm much happier with 30nm and a witness mark, rather than risking stripping the bolt and having to drill it out!

No issues with them coming loose last weekend, but they should be checked as part of your regular maintenance.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
What does Bosch state? After a quick search I can't find anything official for the gen 4 motor.

I did find E-thirteen state 30nm, and an official Hope document stating 50nm for a Brose motor.

I think between 30-50nm should be fine, I don't think you need to go full Popeye on them 😆

Err on the lower side if you remove them regularly, but I'd recommend checking them frequently.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles