Michelin E-Wild separated bead

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
E wild is pretty good. I like michelin tech and rubber. Thats unfortunate about the beads in these. I didnt have that problem with the 2 i had. Id prefer a dh 34 if it came in 2.6. I like the tighter spacing on the edge knobs.That tire front and back is awesome.
Right now i have big bettys in a super gravity and super dh (soft compound). I prefer these over the ewild if youre looking for a 2.6, especially as a rear tire. They are heavier though. Next i want to try the specialized eliminator rear. Good reports on their new rubber and similar weight to the e wild. Eliminator looks like a good tread for the rear t7(harder center knobs) with nice looking edge knobs in the softer t9. I want a 29 x 2.6 butcher gravity front/2.75 x 2.6 eliminator gravity rear
Tried to get some vee rubber 2.6 flow snaps but all i can find for distribution in canada is from commencal and very limited selection(almost none). Vee rubber uk wont ship here. Anyone know of a canada distributor for them?

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
I asked my contact at Michelin EU who mentioned they are seeing a few failures of the 2.6 variety E-Wilds on certain rims with specific profiles. He couldn’t tell me anymore details but did say

1. Its limited to the E-Wilds.
2. Manufacturing are aware and are looking at a revision to the bead.

Doesn't explain the 2.8 failure above.

So I guess watch this space…

I'm riding the 2.8 and haven't had any problems for the last year (2 decoys). Bought new 2.8 two weeks ago. So hopefully they will hold...

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Michelin e-wild 27.5X2.8 and no problem, i ride sharp rocks and jump... maybe i have lucky ?.

I changed from a maxxis assegai and The e-wild and wild enduro tyres from michelin is pretty much a maxxis assegai with better Rolling .

CraigerC EMTB

May 6, 2020
Laguna Beach, CA
I've have the 27.5x2.6as a backup in the garage. Bought it a couple of months ago. Running the Eddy Current 27x2.6 and really like it. I could not find another so I picked up the E-Wild. Better get another backup!

steve_acp

Aug 14, 2019
Clun
I bought my failed e wild 2.8's as a pair from Chain reaction, now owned by wiggle. they immediately refunded me for both tyres. great service.

I bought some butcher black diamonds direct from Specialized, on sale for £27.50. A real bargain, tyres are great on my focus jam 2 6.8

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Recently had a failure of a rear E-Wild 29x2.6 on a stock Roval rim. Previous two worked great throughout their life, but this third one did not. It exhibited a very slow overnight leak (tubeless) the first time I mounted it. I reseated it a day or so later and it still had a very slow leak for about a week. Eventually it sealed and held solid air as one would normally expect. Then a few weeks later the tire bead failed out on a ride (see pics).

I contacted Michelin customer service three weeks ago with pics and proof of purchase, but am still waiting on a response for three weeks now. What did you other guys do to get warranty replacement?

I really like the E-Wilds, but if they are now going to be problematic I may switch over to Schwlabe. I hear their customer service is really good should you have a problem....
Mounted tire.jpeg
Torn bead.jpeg

steve_acp

Aug 14, 2019
Clun
Hi, just go back to who you bought them from. I got mine from chain reaction, and they refunded both front and rear tyres as they were bought as a pair, front tyre is fine… I went to Michelin also, they replied after a few weeks, recommending I contact the retailer. They are not set up for direct contact.
Refund was no probs, I sent photos and got response in one day.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Hi, just go back to who you bought them from. I got mine from chain reaction, and they refunded both front and rear tyres as they were bought as a pair, front tyre is fine… I went to Michelin also, they replied after a few weeks, recommending I contact the retailer. They are not set up for direct contact.
Refund was no probs, I sent photos and got response in one day.

Thanks for the info. I purchased my E-Wilds from a retailer in the UK (I'm in Arizona). Contacted them and they want me to send the tire back to them for examination. Going to cost $41 USD to ship it there, so I don't think it's worth the cost and trouble. Guess it'll just be my loss unless Michelin comes forward with something.

UPDATE: Michelin reimbursed cost of tire under warranty.

Last edited:

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Well also got a separated bead this weekend. Did some small jumps and thought I had bend my wheel. On further inspection I saw that the tire was like in the above posts....

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
fyi.............I have used the Wild Enduro ( not the E Wild)....no problems with them. I dont like 2.6 anyway, I always find them a bit vague. The front tyre especially has very large and aggressive corner knobs so I wonder if the larger (2.6) volume tyre just cannot take the strain on the bead?

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
That’s a thought. I’ve ridden the non e 2.4 for 2 years now and are extremely happy with them

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
fyi.............I have used the Wild Enduro ( not the E Wild)....no problems with them. I dont like 2.6 anyway, I always find them a bit vague. The front tyre especially has very large and aggressive corner knobs so I wonder if the larger (2.6) volume tyre just cannot take the strain on the bead?
Interesting point. I liked the tire and they survived rocks well save for these failure issues.
Have swapped to the new Contis since….

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles