Merida E160 cable routing through headset issue...

Anyone else have this issue? The cable to the display/motor that runs through the headstock keeps fouling in the slotted ring inside causing the motor to switch off. This is the fourth time I've had issues with it, I managed to bodge the first time to keep it running, the second time the cable broke inside so I installed a new cable, that one went the same way, LBS effected a decent soldered repair which seems to have held but the cable has now snagged elsewhere inside causing further intermittent switching off. I love the bike but the design in this location seems poor, and frustratingly annoying. I'm considering bypassing the internal headset route altogether and running the cable in through the side vent where the dropper cable enters the downtube. Just wondering has anyone else has done this and if so, has it worked okay?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I dont know the design ( which in principle seems a stupid idea to me!) so it may help to post some photos. If the cable entry has no grommet then it seems likely the cable will suffer damage so with no specific knowledge of the set up I suggest a couple of solutions may be to either fit a rubber grommet or to armour the cable. Failing that I see no reason why the cable could not be routed through the top tube grommet together with the dropper or rear brake cable. You may want to check first how the cable is routed after going into the headset. It could travel along the top tube or go into the downtube.

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Run it out the side vent. I've had mine like that for quite a while now with no issues, the plugs sit inside the venting and just run out through the existing hole. From recollection I had to feed the cable from the control unit into the venting then fit the two together inside the headtube and drop them back into the frame from there. After re-reouting I just used Sugru to fill the headset hole. Going to change the whole headset soon as don't find the compression ring sits that well in the bearings either (due to the big gap in it for the cable run I think).

Mine did similar to yours when the internal knock block over rotated but fortunately it separated the plugs rather than damaged anything which is when I swapped it out the side vent.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles