Merida e140 8000 internal block issue

Chuggz

Dec 13, 2019
Australia
Hey guys the internal block does not stop my fork crown hitting the frame, especially when a crash occurs.
The supplied rubber on the down tube is nowhere near the impact point where Merida have installed it.
It’s like they totally missed the mark there!
What are people sticking on their frames to stop this happening ? Or is it only my case?
All my searches had no results for this issue?
Is there a 3d print out there or a moulded rubber?
thanks

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
The knock block on the Meridas are well known for not being fitted correctly. This can result in the fork hitting the frame and/or cables being cut by the block. Have your shop service the headset and install the block on the steerer tube properly and you should be good to go.

Gordon

Chuggz

Dec 13, 2019
Australia
Done that more than once.
crap design I’m thinking.
The rubber doesn’t even come close to being near the fork!

Garrit Verway

Sep 18, 2018
Bright 3741 Australia
Hey guys the internal block does not stop my fork crown hitting the frame, especially when a crash occurs.
The supplied rubber on the down tube is nowhere near the impact point where Merida have installed it.
What are people sticking on their frames to stop this happening ? Or is it only my case?
thanks
Hi Chuggz
Hi purchased one e160 8000 size large ,Z1 fork same problem knock block turned with any undue pressure causing the air cap and fork adjustment knob to contact carbon fibre section of the frame , as you stated the rubber block under the frame head stem is useless , to small .
I was advised by the bike workshop head mechanic merida had advised max 2nm tourqe to knock block and they were suposed to move /rotate . So l pointed to the fact the fork was then hitting the frame and would do damage , he agreed .
They refunded the purchase .
But the point is anyone having a hard off , and damaing the frame will only be covered 50% crash replacment warranty , seems unfair given knock block poor design and frame rubber stop block is to small or poorly designed .
I believe merida should do a recall and rectify the design/engineering/ manufacture problem , as a fracture in the carbon fibre frame at such a stressed part of the frame could and would be a catastrophic failure point .
I can only verify this problem on e one sixty 8000 size large with the Z1 fork , l have since purchashed e one sixty 9000 with fox 38 and this model does not have the frame fork intrusion problem , the crown on the fox fork is deeper in its angle , unlike the Z1 which is shallow /flat hence the problem fork/frame contact.
I am amazed such a large frame/bike manufaturers engineers didn't pick this up, through their cad drawings, or QC design team examination .
Futher lMHO a knock block should not be able to rotate as it will then move up the steerer stem and fail completely, as what happened on my partners e one sixty 700 alum frame internally it tore the rubber of the frame mounted stopper,and then chewed up the light power wire, l purchased new rubber frame block realined steerer block and used locktite to give more rigidity to this block, so far so good, this model with the Z1 fork in med size does not connect with the frame.
Good luck with it ,

thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles