Merida 150 , cluster

Islandjj

Jan 27, 2021
IOW
Hi, probably been asked before , my chain jumps now and again on low ratio spockets, how do I know what to replace , chain ? Cluster ? Both.
also is possible to replace individual sprockets on the cluster as the high ratio ones have had very little use ?

what would members recommend as a make of chain to use , my current and first one has done over 3000 km. thanks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Buy a new chain and see if it runs with the cassette (cluster). It will probably run on the bike stand, maybe even on the street. But the test will be if it runs on the trail when you put some power through it. If it does, all well and good. If it doesn't then you need a new cassette as well. Put the old chain back on until the new cassette arrives or you will knacker the new chain.

Yes, you can buy small rings for (at least) Shimano cassettes, I don't know about other brands. The problem will be finding them! But if you are consistently wearing out the small gears on the cassette, then consider getting a larger front ring. This will move the gears you use the most up the range onto the larger cassette gears. You will use the larger gears more and spread the wear over more teeth. If you have a 34t front ring, then consider fitting a 38t. That is 38/34 = 1.117, ie 11.7% larger ratio. That is less than the shift from the 10t to the 12t on a 12-speed cassette, but you will notice it!

If your chains are averaging 3000km, I would stick with them. Many on here do a lot worse.

I'm getting the feeling that you do a lot of commuting, or maybe it's a bit flat where you ride off road; is that about right?
Or maybe you just have very powerful legs! :)

Islandjj

Jan 27, 2021
IOW
Buy a new chain and see if it runs with the cassette (cluster). It will probably run on the bike stand, maybe even on the street. But the test will be if it runs on the trail when you put some power through it. If it does, all well and good. If it doesn't then you need a new cassette as well. Put the old chain back on until the new cassette arrives or you will knacker the new chain.

Yes, you can buy small rings for (at least) Shimano cassettes, I don't know about other brands. The problem will be finding them! But if you are consistently wearing out the small gears on the cassette, then consider getting a larger front ring. This will move the gears you use the most up the range onto the larger cassette gears. You will use the larger gears more and spread the wear over more teeth. If you have a 34t front ring, then consider fitting a 38t. That is 38/34 = 1.117, ie 11.7% larger ratio. That is less than the shift from the 10t to the 12t on a 12-speed cassette, but you will notice it!

If your chains are averaging 3000km, I would stick with them. Many on here do a lot worse.

I'm getting the feeling that you do a lot of commuting, or maybe it's a bit flat where you ride off road; is that about right?
Or maybe you just have very powerful legs! :)
Thanks for the reply, yep I’ve got a 34t front drive sprocket, so if I go to 38t it will tend to load the larger , higher ratio sprockets , (more teeth to spread load) that makes perfect sense.
yep I do a lot of flat commuting.
is there any make you would recommend.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles