MegNeg help

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Yesterday I got a RS Super Deluxe Ultimate delivered from J-Tech, with the MegNeg preinstalled and tuned for my specs.

On the tuning info, it said it should have 17mm sag... and also what clicks of rebound / LSC etc I should have.

When fitted, I sat on the bike. Probably around 3-4kg lighter than in my riding gear... and it sunk to about 40% on the shock indicator. When measuring with a ruler, this was about 20mm.

I cycled on the street outside my house for a minute, and did a couple of bunny hops - and the sag ring was showing it had almost hit full travel.

Does this sound right? I checked the air pressure, and it’s up at 245psi already - which is more than I have in my stock shock (about 220psi / 25% sag).

I’ve never had a NegMeg before, so I’m wondering if they need the sag to be set much higher? I don’t want to go out and ride if it’s not set up correctly and damage the shock.
I’ll speak to J-Tech on Monday, but just wondering if there are any MegNeg experts on here that can advise?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Firstly you run quite a bit more air pressure when you have the meg neg fitted vs the stock shock , so I wouldn't be afraid of pumping it up some more to get it to 25-30% sag.

I run mine with two tokens and two bands, 235psi, and 3 clicks of round from fast. I weigh 90kg kitted up - I can recall what pressure I was running on the standard shock before the conversion, but it was circa 190psi

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Firstly you run quite a bit more air pressure when you have the meg neg fitted vs the stock shock , so I wouldn't be afraid of pumping it up some more to get it to 25-30% sag.

I run mine with two tokens and two bands, 235psi, and 3 clicks of round from fast. I weigh 90kg kitted up - I can recall what pressure I was running on the standard shock before the conversion, but it was circa 190psi

Thanks... a bit of reassurance there!

I’m just on 80kg normally, and ~85kg with my gear on and hydration pack filled.

According to the tuning sheet that came with it...
I have 1 volume spacer and 2 neg rings installed
17mm sag
Rebound - 5 clicks from max
LSC - 4 clicks from max

Looks like I’m going to need 280-290psi if I want 25% sag, as I’ve stuck it up to 260psi just now, and it’s still only at 33%. Having said that, 17mm is roughly 33% on the markers when I measure with a ruler, so this is probably where the recommended tune should be?

I was just a bit concerned as to how easy it felt to reach almost full stroke. If a bunny hop gets there, what would hitting a big ramp or drop do?!

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Add more pressure until you're at 27-30% sag. If you're not getting enough support add a negative band and/or a positive spacer. Adding bands or spacers will also see you lowering the pressure by 5-10psi

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Add more pressure until you're at 27-30% sag. If you're not getting enough support add a negative band and/or a positive spacer. Adding bands or spacers will also see you lowering the pressure by 5-10psi

I used my calculator, and 17mm is 30.9% sag.
I’ll get my gear on later (just heading out in a minute) and try adding a bit more pressure to reach the recommended 31% ready to ride.

Don’t want to add any spacers etc yet until I try it out - as it’s supposed to be tuned for my weight / riding style!

Unfortunately I live in Aberdeen, and we’re the Covid capital of the UK at the moment and are back in lockdown! I won’t get a real test for a while... but there are some trails less than 5 miles from my house I can mess about on.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles