• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

MBIQ-S Tuning Sensor for Shimano

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm skeptical of a Czech manufacturer with a German web page that's translated to English. The grammar is just too wacky to inspire confidence. However, there's a little morsel of information that might be relevant if you care to experiment.

Did you read the part of the instructions that describes how to put the computer into "programming the operating mode" by properly positioning the magnet during startup? It sounds suspiciously like a procedure that might work regardless of what speed sensor is installed. I'm not willing to do it myself, but if you choose to try it out, I'll boldly cheer you on from the sidelines.

Strive77

Aug 5, 2020
Lancashire. England
I'm skeptical of a Czech manufacturer with a German web page that's translated to English. The grammar is just too wacky to inspire confidence. However, there's a little morsel of information that might be relevant if you care to experiment.

Did you read the part of the instructions that describes how to put the computer into "programming the operating mode" by properly positioning the magnet during startup? It sounds suspiciously like a procedure that might work regardless of what speed sensor is installed. I'm not willing to do it myself, but if you choose to try it out, I'll boldly cheer you on from the sidelines.

Thanks for the reply! That’s exactly how I feel about it, it’s all too vague and dodgy instructions. My speed sensor is on the disc rotor but the instructions I’ve seen for the due11 shows it both with a wheel sensor and a disc sensor.

I’ll have another look through the instructions on the part you’re talking about on the programming but I didn’t quite follow the last time I looked. Think I might leave it and go down the speedbox route to be on the safe side!
Did you ever derestrict your bike?

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
I haven't had the chance to install it yet. On outside, it looks just like the normal disc magnet sensor from shimano, but the underside looks like the inside has been re-potted with epoxy so something is going on in the inside.

1664882701973.png

Shimano original on the left and mbiq-s on the right.

But the main problem is, that the connector is different to the normal speed sensor (pictures). The mbiq-s sensor has SD300 connector but the EP8 motor has the SD50 connector. So I need an adaptor to connect it.

1664882761002.png

Smaller is Shimano original and the bigger is the mbiq-s.

Last edited:

Strive77

Aug 5, 2020
Lancashire. England
I haven't had the chance to install it yet. On outside, it looks just like the normal disc magnet sensor from shimano, but the underside looks like the inside has been re-potted with epoxy so something is going on in the inside.

View attachment 98479
Shimano original on the left and mbiq-s on the right.

But the main problem is, that the connector is different to the normal speed sensor (pictures). The mbiq-s sensor has SD300 connector but the EP8 motor has the SD50 connector. So I need an adaptor to connect it.

View attachment 98480
Smaller is Shimano original and the bigger is the mbiq-s.

Thanks for that. Is there such an adapter for doing that? I’m on an E8000 so it should fit. Do you get instructions on how to operate it in English or were they in German and does it seem pretty straight forward?
Hope you get sorted with an adapter and keep us posted.

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
Yes, there is such adapter:

I also need a sd50 wire to go with it:

Cost is about 70€ combined and I don't have any real hurry to make my bike assist more than 25km/h. So I can't make any promises that I'll ever continue this. Maybe I'll just sell the sensor to someone who want's it.

There is a English manual on their website.

yeollin

Official MBIQ Tuning
Jan 10, 2022
Germany

Hello to everyone.
If you have any questions about MBIQ-... Tuning products feel free to contact us.

As the developer, we can give answers to any technical questions very fast.

Here you get an overview of all our products and can also contact us directly:

www.yeollin.de

About eMullet:

I think you bought / or got the wrong product for your system.

We provide both, for Steps E5xxx-E8xxx and new EP8 Motors Plug-In and Sensor solutions.
Here the overview with differences (there are two types of sensors with different geometries!):
shimano_.png

Best regards Markus!

shimano_.png

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth

Hello to everyone.
If you have any questions about MBIQ-... Tuning products feel free to contact us.

As the developer, we can give answers to any technical questions very fast.

Here you get an overview of all our products and can also contact us directly:

www.yeollin.de

About eMullet:

I think you bought / or got the wrong product for your system.

We provide both, for Steps E5xxx-E8xxx and new EP8 Motors Plug-In and Sensor solutions.
Here the overview with differences (there are two types of sensors with different geometries!):
View attachment 98947
Best regards Markus!

View attachment 98946

I don't know who is to blame about the wrong connector type, because the website that sold it didn't specify, which model it it was. Anyway, I think I'll sell this to someone with E8000 who needs one. I really don't need to remove restriction on my bike, I don't really feel like I need to.

yeollin

Official MBIQ Tuning
Jan 10, 2022
Germany
I don't know who is to blame about the wrong connector type, because the website that sold it didn't specify, which model it it was. Anyway, I think I'll sell this to someone with E8000 who needs one. I really don't need to remove restriction on my bike, I don't really feel like I need to.
hi!
I also think it was probably not labeled correctly by the supplier.
But it certainly helps if we tell the supplier, so that this does not happen again and the description will be adjusted accordingly.
Gladly a PM to me, then I'll take care of it!
(y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles