Maxx-D or Six-Pack ?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Im running a mk12 Toro, but I fancy adding to that.
I thought a 2nd Toro, but theres not a great deal of difference price wise on getting the bigger light. Plus im mostly quiet roads.
The Toro is quite bright, certainly illuminates the way ahead, but most of the time its on flashing, which brings down the brightness by quite a bit, so I wouldnt mind adding to that with something really bright, just really to light the way ahead.

Now. Whats the difference between the 6 pack and the maxx d ?. They both appear to have similar run times and outputs. I dont really use them on reflex or sync, just the standard setting(No4)

So who has what ?. and how do you find it, or if you've had/have both, what did you find was the difference.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I can only speak for the 6 pack, its a brilliant light in the woods but i'd be concerned about how much spread it gives on the roads.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Maxx d has a bit more flood than a 6 pack allthou the 6 pack is brighter
Ive had both and sold the 6 pack as the maxx d was just a better all rounder
Road wise thou there not great and will dazzle the hell out of anyone in front
I use a SB Strada on the road .

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Point taken about power/dazzling motorists(not that they seem to care given the amount of times on quiet stretches I've been dazzled by their own 5000x2(or 4) high intensity lights) but i see the point.

While i use the roads, im more as the crow flies type of rider(30 years on 2 wheels) so I dont use the roads really as cars do, more I zig zag my way to my destination, down side roads, along pavement for a bit, onto main road them off down another side street.

The other thing is unlike offroad, where the lamp is pointing far ahead, and therefore sits more horizontal, im aiming at about 15 or 20 feet in front of me. I accept that the Toro is really bright, given when i do meet pedestrians down a lane or alleyway i can see they are dazzled by it, though i make allowances and try to shift the beam away from people so its not pointing directly at them.
It's just that as above, when in flash mode, it doesn't really illuminate the road ahead, the flash only makes me visible, but it doesn't help with potential obstacles or potholes being as visible. So I really do need a flashing to make me visible, but also i do need to light up the way ahead.

Perhaps then a 2nd Toro. 2100x2 with one flashing, one steady certainly would light the road/alley/lane but not be as strong as a 3750lm. Just enough, but not too much, and when i do ride in areas with very few pedestrians or no cars, i can have both on steady, the flashing maybe being cast further, the other to light the immediate road etc ahead.

Food for thought. Thanks for the replies, anyone wants to add, please do.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Do you really need a flashing light? 2100 lumens can be seen from miles away, I don't think a flashing light adds anything for your visibility
I agree with this totally especially the front flashing
I find its more confusing and harder for on coming vehicles to judge your road positioning and distance from them when a front light is flashing i know i do as a driver when faced with bright front flashing lights .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles