Marin E-trail bike?

bde1024

Feb 18, 2023
Glastonbury, CT USA
My LBS is a Marin dealer, and tells me that Marin is coming out with a shorter travel ebike platform than their Alpine Trail E. Marin makes very well-specced bikes for the money, but the Alpine Trail E is a bit of beast, 55 lbs with coil shock, slack head angle, and 27.5+ rear wheel. I’m an old guy looking for my first ebike who rides a lot of tight NE trails, so I’d prefer something lighter and quicker handling. The current Marin website has no info on any e-bikes other than the Alpine Trail E, so I’m wondering if anyone has any information on what Marin might be cooking up. Maybe something based on the Rift Zone platform?

WantAnEMTB

Nov 13, 2021
Germany
My LBS is a Marin dealer, and tells me that Marin is coming out with a shorter travel ebike platform than their Alpine Trail E. Marin makes very well-specced bikes for the money, but the Alpine Trail E is a bit of beast, 55 lbs with coil shock, slack head angle, and 27.5+ rear wheel. I’m an old guy looking for my first ebike who rides a lot of tight NE trails, so I’d prefer something lighter and quicker handling. The current Marin website has no info on any e-bikes other than the Alpine Trail E, so I’m wondering if anyone has any information on what Marin might be cooking up. Maybe something based on the Rift Zone platform?
Hi,

don't know whether it's still of interest. I am not aware of any other E-bike from Marin. I have a Alpine Trail E and yes, you will feel the pros and cons. Riding tight turns requires a bit more input from you. Going downhill the bike is extremely confidence inspiring, especially when your close to 100kg. A 220mm rotor on the front is a recommendation. But the bike is a lot of fun!!

The slack head angle probably requires a bit more of getting used to it. There are some reports online where the rear wheel was swapped against a 29er. The stock wheel set is quite heavy. I do consider this swap as well. Once you are settled with the correct spring for the shock you can buy a lighter steel or titanium spring. You can easily shave of approx 1kg.

BTW: I turn 56 next month and bought the bike last year after I had recovered from a heart attack. You shouldn't bother too much about age...

Cheers, TJ

bde1024

Feb 18, 2023
Glastonbury, CT USA
Hi,

don't know whether it's still of interest. I am not aware of any other E-bike from Marin. I have a Alpine Trail E and yes, you will feel the pros and cons. Riding tight turns requires a bit more input from you. Going downhill the bike is extremely confidence inspiring, especially when your close to 100kg. A 220mm rotor on the front is a recommendation. But the bike is a lot of fun!!

The slack head angle probably requires a bit more of getting used to it. There are some reports online where the rear wheel was swapped against a 29er. The stock wheel set is quite heavy. I do consider this swap as well. Once you are settled with the correct spring for the shock you can buy a lighter steel or titanium spring. You can easily shave of approx 1kg.

BTW: I turn 56 next month and bought the bike last year after I had recovered from a heart attack. You shouldn't bother too much about age...

Cheers, TJ
Thanks for the response, but I since bought a Pivot Shuttle SL which I’m liking a lot. Marin did announce a Rift Zone E with 140mm, air shock and full 29er wheels, so it should a bit lighter than the Alpine Trail E.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles