Maintenance stand for e-mountain bikes?

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Assuming one doesn't want to spend a fortune on something bespoke, is there one?

Maybe with a ratchet to raise the bike to eye level or the like...

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I highly recommend the Feedback Pro Elite. Understand about not wanting to pay a fortune, however the old adage you get what you pay for definitely applies in this case. Very well built piece of equipment, top quality and durable enough to last many years. Rated for up to 85lbs. Seen lots of bike mechanics use them in shops and various events.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
The Park Tools one was the ONLY one that came anywhere near to supporting my e bike. Never got a chance to try a Pro-Elite one but I recall it was on the shortlist.

Al

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I have a love-hate relationship with an old PCS1 Park workstand. It's rated to 45 kilos, but the weight must be centred. If not the legs fold and it tips over. So in general, pick one that is a tripod rather than two folding legs would be my advice.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Upside down on some cardboard. I keep big cardboard boxes just for this. Good to lie on if you have to get under the car too. Or changing tyres on the ground etc.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I have a love-hate relationship with an old PCS4 Park workstand. It's rated to 45 kilos, but the weight must be centred. If not the legs fold and it tips over. So in general, pick one that is a tripod rather than two folding legs would be my advice.
I can see why that model would not work but the PCS10 has a huge footprint. It was the most stable one I tried and I tried and returned 4 or 5 because they simply did not work, tripods included.

Al

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I can see why that model would not work but the PCS10 has a huge footprint. It was the most stable one I tried and I tried and returned 4 or 5 because they simply did not work, tripods included.

Al
Agreed. Wide legs are what is needed - that lock ideally. With mine, you can't have the front wheel in if you clamp a heavy bike by the seatpost. Tried some bits of wood to keep the legs 'spread', but it just tips. One day I'll get something else ?

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I purchased one from Lidl & it's served me well (y)
I think it was around the £30.00 mark.
Coincidently that was one of the ones I tried. It was simply not stable enough for my liking. It held the bike but I wouldn't have dared to leave it unattended. Still it sounds like it works for you and that's all that matters especially at that price.

Al

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
For me the key factor was: Would I be happy to leave the bike unattended in the stand for any significant amount of time and be confident that it would not be inadvertently disturbed by anyone or anything.

Al

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
If you have money to burn, fill your boots on a Park, but the cheapie gets the job done.
What is it they say "Buy cheap buy twice". :) Personally I don't see buying good quality as having money to burn especially when it comes to tools and my hobby. But each to their own.

Al

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I just picked up a parktool PCS-10.2 and will have an opinion later.

1601410513430189492478041041068.jpg

My cheap-o plastic and thin metal tube stand, from Walmart mail order, finally started to fall apart after about one year.

The plastic bits on this stand below from Walmart mail-order are junk, and though claimed to be able to support an ebike, no way unless perfectly balanced, and even then the plastic gussets have broken from hanging my bike on it over night.

16014102243326323130005300287004.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Personally I do not like the idea of hanging a 24kg bike by the dropper post!! Hanging the bike from the top tube is equally risky given that tube has limited strength in the direction of the forces applied to it. There really needs to be a dual support system invented for Emtbs!! Meanwhile I use a cheap Halfords stand....and use the seatpost/dropper post but only to raise the back wheel. I angle the clamp so that the front wheel rests on the ground.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Love the new stand totally..if you've never worked off a solid stand in the past, you owe it to try one.
My old stand made due.
This stand is super solid, and every bit exudes quality. I'm now confidence that my stand will hold the bike LOL, and last for some time.
20201003_090559.jpg

Rotwilder

Apr 19, 2019
West Yorkshire
A good stand is your best mate. I had that was "e-bike" comparable but my bike with the whole stand fell over.
Now I have a parktool stand Wich is great.
I’ve got a PCs 10.2. The first time I used it was on a hot day. I had the bike on it, went for a few tools and heard a big crash! The bike and stand had Tippled over due to the clamp sliding down. I had it extremely tight too. Since the weather has changed I haven’t had a problem so in hot weather I will be double checking plus fitting slide clamp above it too! Shame but true.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Personally I do not like the idea of hanging a 24kg bike by the dropper post!! Hanging the bike from the top tube is equally risky given that tube has limited strength in the direction of the forces applied to it. There really needs to be a dual support system invented for Emtbs!! Meanwhile I use a cheap Halfords stand....and use the seatpost/dropper post but only to raise the back wheel. I angle the clamp so that the front wheel rests on the ground.
I agree. If I support my eBike (rail 9.7) with the dropper post I always leave the front wheel on the floor. I’m worried that if I attach the clamp to the upper bar I may crush or break that portion. There is currently no design that allows proper support for a carbon emtb. A two point support would distribute the weight better and allow you to raise both wheels off the floor. The current stands seem to work fine for the weight of an ebike but the clamping methods are a bit risky when it comes to carbon frames. I do not clamp the top bar of my carbon frame ebike while both wheels are off the floor. The current clamping method is not good enough.

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Park Tool 10.2 works well for me, no experience of others. I sometimes struggle with clamps and tightening but solid as a rock when in any position after adjustment

No other experience of other brands / models.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I have the park tool 10.2, great stand but I have had to glue rubber matting in the jaws as it would t tighten down tight enough to grip my dropper.
I did email park tool but they were unhelpful.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I built my own using a Park Tools clamp assy. Having a buggered shoulder, I struggled to lift bike into my old stand so built this with a 12v Boat Winch. All up cost @ $800.00 NZD

View attachment 41394

View attachment 41395
That's just brilliant! Looks very professional. And nearly $3000 cheaper than the Park Tool one. Could be a great sideline venture for you, I'm always sore after a day of hefting my bike up and down in the workstand

Akemtb

Mar 1, 2019
Anchorage Alaska
If you want cheep, here's my $15 stand made from a 1.5" pipe clamp attached to a bench vice. Gets the rear wheel off the ground so I can lub the chain or do just about anything. If I want more hight I flip the vise. Got the idea online just modified some think the plans called for mounting from ceiling in different configuration

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
If you want cheep, here's my $15 stand made from a 1.5" pipe clamp attached to a bench vice. Gets the rear wheel off the ground so I can lub the chain or do just about anything. If I want more hight I flip the vise. Got the idea online just modified some think the plans called for mounting from ceiling in different configuration

That looks like a very hefty vice! ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles