Maintenance Agreement

johnlevo

Nov 12, 2019
St Helens
Hi All,
Wondering if anyone can help. I've have had the 2019 Levo for nearly 2 years and had the motor and battery changed about 10 months ago. Just been informed by my local Specialized Dealer that the new motor and battery does not have a NEW 2 year warranty on them and will not be covered after my 2 years owning the bike. Anyone else slightly confused?
If you bought a car and the engine blew in the first 2 years, a new engine installed by the manufacturer would have a brand new warranty and not just continue as if it was the original engine!!!!!

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
It's a problem with eMTBs that very few bike manufacturers offer extended warranties.

if Kia can offer 5 year warranty on new cars, why cant Spesh?

If I google, I can find some obscure eBike companies offering 4 years / 20,000 miles, which is great. But no main-stream manufacturers offer that AFAIK.

Would 'happily' pay for an extended warranty, for my own assurance and for the resale benefit (assuming the warranty is transferable).

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I believe Bosch offer a ‘rolling‘ motor warranty. If an engine dies and it is within the warranty period the motor is replaced and warranty period for the motor goes back to zero from the date it was replaced.

I do not think it is unreasonable for us to expect Specialized to do the same to support their huge Brose motor customer base.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Yes, Bosch is *better*, but still, if the motor dies for the first time at 25 months you have no cover...

Which leaves you in the odd situation of *wanting* your Bosch motor to die every other year :)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yes, Bosch is *better*, but still, if the motor dies for the first time at 25 months you have no cover...

Which leaves you in the odd situation of *wanting* your Bosch motor to die every other year :)

I can’t get one year out of a Bosch motor...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
He’s wrong , the new motor will have a 2 yr warranty !

As far as I know, and it’s been discussed elsewhere on the forum, Spesh are not offering a rolling warranty.

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
Hi All,
Wondering if anyone can help. I've have had the 2019 Levo for nearly 2 years and had the motor and battery changed about 10 months ago. Just been informed by my local Specialized Dealer that the new motor and battery does not have a NEW 2 year warranty on them and will not be covered after my 2 years owning the bike. Anyone else slightly confused?
If you bought a car and the engine blew in the first 2 years, a new engine installed by the manufacturer would have a brand new warranty and not just continue as if it was the original engine!!!!!
Many appliances are like this mate, in my field boilers are the same. If you had a. New pub fitted its warranty runs out with the product.
I also was under that impression and was thinking well after 18months I’ll get a new motor (noisy hopefully) and would be able to sell with a 2 year warranty but thats not the case.

NGreen

Mar 15, 2019
Orange County, California
Hi All,

not the case at the dealerships I’ve worked at, Chrysler & Hyundai. At least in the US. You get a warranty from date of purchase. If you “purchase” a new motor you get whatever warranty comes with OEM parts, but warranty replacement only gets from date of purchase. That being said most manufacturers will work with you especially if there’s been an ongoing problem with “your“ product.

Last edited:

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Regarding rolling warranty not offered directly by Specialized you might also want to check your local laws/policies regarding mandatory warranties on consumer products. Here in my country (not UK or US) we have Obligation Law which gives us consumers a rolling warranty kind of mandatory thing even if manufacturer/seller doesn't. :cool:

johnlevo

Nov 12, 2019
St Helens
Hello John.

Thank you for your enquiry.

When items get replaced due to warranty, the new part does have warranty but it is from the original purchase date.

For example, if the battery was replaced a year after purchase, then the new battery would have a year left on its guarantee.

Kind Regards,
Ian Harcourt (Warranty Manager)

Specialized Concept Store
Chester
01244 322 220

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
So if I get a new motor on warranty on month 22/24 and it goes pop in 3 months , surely there’s a “fit for purpose claim” there ?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
So if I get a new motor on warranty on month 22/24 and it goes pop in 3 months , surely there’s a “fit for purpose claim” there ?
I don't think it goes that way. If the new 3 month old breaks down, the EU product liability law says something else. There is also a responsibility for the durability of the new engine

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia
Hi All,

On my previous Merida eOne-Sixty Shimano e8000 motor was replaced under warranty and I was granted +2 years on motor. My dealer told me that, not that I was asking him. I’ll ask my friend at Specialized about this case, waiting for my new Levo, assume to have the same policy...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
2019 & 2020 Levo has 4 year warranty from date of purchase. It is not a rolling warranty. ie if you have a motor replaced at 3 years 11 months it has 1 month warranty remaining.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
2019 & 2020 Levo has 4 year warranty from date of purchase. It is not a rolling warranty. ie if you have a motor replaced at 3 years 11 months it has 1 month warranty remaining.
This is an old thread from prior to the 2 year warranty extension, that's why all the info appears wrong...

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Leaving a side the more recent extension of warranty on the 2019/2020 Brose motors, the issue here might be the definition of what the original warranty applies to. So if the warranty applies to the bike, and is for example 2 years, the manufacturer/retailer obligation is to ensure the bike is functional for 2 years, replacing any part ( covered within the warranty) that fails. A replaced motor therefore has no separate warranty.
Logically, there is no reason therefore to extend the warranty beyond the original period, for any part even if it is not original, and "fit for purpose" would likely apply to the bike during its warranty period, not a replacement part that failed again later.

None of the brands warranty SRAM or Shimano parts since they have their own warranty. Some brands only warranty the frame, and it does seem that Bosch equipped bikes hand off motor warranty issues to Bosch. Any new warranty on a replacement would be with Bosch, not the bike brand. Shimano equipped bikes may do the same? Both Bosch and Shimano have their own service centres. Spesh includes frame wheels and motor, and the motor is essentially a Spesh motor with no customer recourse to Brose.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Leaving a side the more recent extension of warranty on the 2019/2020 Brose motors, the issue here might be the definition of what the original warranty applies to. So if the warranty applies to the bike, and is for example 2 years, the manufacturer/retailer obligation is to ensure the bike is functional for 2 years, replacing any part ( covered within the warranty) that fails. A replaced motor therefore has no separate warranty.
Logically, there is no reason therefore to extend the warranty beyond the original period, for any part even if it is not original, and "fit for purpose" would likely apply to the bike during its warranty period, not a replacement part that failed again later.

None of the brands warranty SRAM or Shimano parts since they have their own warranty. Some brands only warranty the frame, and it does seem that Bosch equipped bikes hand off motor warranty issues to Bosch. Any new warranty on a replacement would be with Bosch, not the bike brand. Shimano equipped bikes may do the same? Both Bosch and Shimano have their own service centres. Spesh includes frame wheels and motor, and the motor is essentially a Spesh motor with no customer recourse to Brose.
If someone has had say 5 replaced motors then couldn’t they ask for a refund as the bike ain’t fit for purpose and they are replacing with a motor they know will also break ?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
.... a long shot! The vast majority of motors do not break within the warranty period.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles