Mainstream or alternative

bdaearth

Apr 2, 2023
Australia
Hi all,

I am about to purchase my first dual suspension ebike and have gotten myself completely confused about what I will buy. Below is my criteria.

$6500 budget, this is strict. Under is fine, but it's my upper limit.

I'm in Australia so shipping and availability must be considered.

I want to have a high powered bike for use on private land. The power is mainly for climbing, I'm 176cm and 87kg. The areas I will be riding are very steep and I feel like a standard motor isn't going to cut it?

I want as much range as possible, I'm planning on doing longer xc style riding.

I'm not worried about brands.

Any speed and power modifications must be included in my budget.

Volitionebike.com has a full carbon, bafang powered bike for 6500, I've spoken with them and I can get it for 6500 delivered. That is plug and play. It has a claimed 120nm and top speed of 45km.

99bikes has a few bikes that I can make work too, but I'll need to have a purchase price of closer to 6k to allow for the unlocking of the motor.

I was considering second hand also, but that comes with it's own issues, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

bdaearth

Apr 2, 2023
Australia
I ended up going with a focus jam 6.9 it was on sale for 6500 and I'm extremely happy with it. The budget didn't allow for chipping, so it's currently a standard bike, top to bottom. It also has a 625 battery, but the new model has a 750.

Some interesting feedback on the power and range situation. I have found that I actually prefer to ride in tour mode (eco, tour, emtb, turbo are the modes, in that order) and that has increased its range a lot. I've done 45km rides and arrived home with 30% battery life. I was so concerned about power and range before the purchase, and it turns out I actually didn't need to worry about either. I realise that this won't be the case for everyone, but it's worth thinking about.

For what I paid, and the riding I'm doing, it's more than enough bike for me. There seems to be a lot of choice around the 6500 mark at the moment as the run out sales are on.

I will eventually chip the bike, but that's for extra speed, not power.

Best of luck with your decision and feel free to ask anything else you might be thinking about.

20230903_144448.jpg

BillyB

Aug 19, 2023
Sydney
I ended up going with a focus jam 6.9 it was on sale for 6500 and I'm extremely happy with it. The budget didn't allow for chipping, so it's currently a standard bike, top to bottom. It also has a 625 battery, but the new model has a 750.

Some interesting feedback on the power and range situation. I have found that I actually prefer to ride in tour mode (eco, tour, emtb, turbo are the modes, in that order) and that has increased its range a lot. I've done 45km rides and arrived home with 30% battery life. I was so concerned about power and range before the purchase, and it turns out I actually didn't need to worry about either. I realise that this won't be the case for everyone, but it's worth thinking about.

For what I paid, and the riding I'm doing, it's more than enough bike for me. There seems to be a lot of choice around the 6500 mark at the moment as the run out sales are on.

I will eventually chip the bike, but that's for extra speed, not power.

Best of luck with your decision and feel free to ask anything else you might be thinking about.

View attachment 124185
Awesome will have a look at it

Ny m8 has the giant Stance and tells ne the same more than enough power to get up most hills

His happy with the security of going back to a huge company if any issues

Smaller places are scaring the shit out of me atm - the what if u get a lemon worry - volitionen , pirez - frey

Did you consider pirez e3 ? Specs are not exciting and battery small but m620 $4400

bdaearth

Apr 2, 2023
Australia
There are some awesome deals at the moment that take away from the appeal of the Cheap alternatives, and after riding a standard emtb, I don't think the extra power is actually needed for what I want to do.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles