Mahle SL 1.1 to SL 1.2 - What's Possible and What's Different ?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
For the 1.2 motor I’d go with these.

I wish there was a weight published somewhere for these? They look sweet, and I'd quite like to drop from 170 to 165... but I'd like to know the weight v's the SRAM carbon ones that came as stock.

crawfishoo

Feb 1, 2024
Indiana
Thanks for the options. Most of these are outside the budget I'm willing to spend on my son's bike. I would love 5dev cranks but can't justify $400 cranks on my 7 year olds bike. And I would be sick putting said cranks into the mill to modify them down to 140mm.

It's a little frustrating that Specialized went through the effort change from the M30 mahle specific interface, yet replaced it with an equally unique Sram Dub interface. I asked Sram about e-bike Dub cranks, they responded that the only option is to purchase through specialized. Why couldn't they use a standard ISIS option like every other ebike out there??!!? Grumble ha

So the search continues. Some basic aluminum cranks I can cut down to 130-140mm to fit my son's bike. If I do swap motors it appears I can use the OE 1.1 praxis cranks and cut down to ~140mm

Last edited:

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
It's not just them to be fair. Fazua use the Etor interface and Shimano use theirs. ISIS is a pretty crap outdated standard at this point so I can see why they wouldn't want to use that. Mahle have actually signed up to the Etor standard so the next Mahle motor might use that..
The Shimano standard is very very good but again not easy to get shorter cranks.

crawfishoo

Feb 1, 2024
Indiana
Its interesting that Sram is not even using the Dub interface on the new powertrain motors. Looks like the SL1.2 is going to be truly unique to Specialized.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Its interesting that Sram is not even using the Dub interface on the new powertrain motors. Looks like the SL1.2 is going to be truly unique to Specialized.
The Sram motor is just a Brose motor which was developed for Specialized in the first place. Unfortunately, they all seem to have their own different choices when it comes to cranks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles