Magura MT7 Brake Pad

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Decided to upgrade to a Shigura brake set up (Shimano Saint levers/Magura MT7 calipers) and wanted feedback on brake pads. Never really been a fan of the semi-metalic pads that come stock on most brakes. Absolutely despise them on my SRAM CODE RSC's.

Anyone recommend a certain brand or material type? Discobrakes offer a nice selection, but not all options are in stock and don't know much about Kevlar, copper free, ect...

Bike I'm upgrading is a YT DECOY ELITE and most ride in dry conditions.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I've not yet tried any different pads on my mt7 yet but I too are interested to know more about the copper free options by Disco.
some say Trickstuff power 170 pads are a good upgrade but they are organic compound.... as far as I know.
most would say that any make of sintered pads are better than organic.... especially in the rain. But now I've seen your location I doubt that matters too much.. lol.

Disco Kevlar wear down very quickly.

Last edited:

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Always used uberbike race matrix on my shiguras. There wore fairly quickly, compared to shimano sintered for example, but are very good plus cheap.
It annoyed me when they changed from the 4 pad design to the 2 pad design though.

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
Like apac said, Trickstuff Power 170 are suppose to be the shit. I haven’t tried them yet but I have two pair ready to go once my bike with MT7s get delivered.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Read lots of positive reviews on ceramic pro pads. Can't seem to find them in stock anywhere?

They took four months to get to me from Disco so probably.

Mine still fade on longish downhills but I'm probably on the upper end of the limits of most pads, to be fair (and I use single pot brakes)

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I've not yet tried any different pads on my mt7 yet but I too are interested to know more about the copper free options by Disco.
some say Trickstuff power 170 pads are a good upgrade but they are organic compound.... as far as I know.
most would say that any make of sintered pads are better than organic.... especially in the rain. But now I've seen your location I doubt that matters too much.. lol.

Disco Kevlar wear down very quickly.
I purchased the Magura 8.P Performance Disc Brake Pads and will see how well they work, post follow-up on this thread. Do you know if stock Magura pads on calipers are 2 or 4 piece design?
I am running the "red race" versions of these: Home - MTX Braking Braking Components for the MTB Industry

Exact same Shigura setup. The modulation and ultimate stopping power is great.
Just ordered for my YT Decoy! Will keep you posted!

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I purchased the Magura 8.P Performance Disc Brake Pads and will see how well they work, post follow-up on this thread. Do you know if stock Magura pads on calipers are 2 or 4 piece design?
Just ordered for my YT Decoy! Will keep you posted!

Stock Magura pads on mt7 are 4 piece.

d7e8wd

May 11, 2020
UK
I have the exact same setup as OP, saints and mt7s, have ridden with stock magura pads, race magura, disco pads ceramic pro, and some nukeproof organic ones I picked up in Les gets last year. The ceramic pros are the superior in all conditions imo, incredibly grabby and most of all satisfy my love of silence.

Hear good things about the trickstuff pads tho.. will be trying them out next

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I have the exact same setup as OP, saints and mt7s, have ridden with stock magura pads, race magura, disco pads ceramic pro, and some nukeproof organic ones I picked up in Les gets last year. The ceramic pros are the superior in all conditions imo, incredibly grabby and most of all satisfy my love of silence.

Appreciate the feedback on multiple pads. I have yet to receive any of the pads I've ordered. Have the Magura Black Performance on the way and will try out on my Spesh Turbo Levo S-Works. Based upon availability and feedback received from #jcmonty and Kevin from MTX, decided to give them a try. He was VERY knowledgeable about Magura brakes, familiar with the emtb I'm putting them on (YT Decoy Elite) and offered me excellent options. Will be rocking the MTX Gold label on the front (offer optimal braking power for emtbs) and the Red Race model on the rear (better modulation and feel). Have all the bits and pieces and an appointment scheduled at my favorite lbs to get installed. More info after I get some miles/kilometers on them. Anxious to see how the Disco Ceramic Pros perform and will give them a try on my Levo once they are available.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA

Once last question. Do you know if the stock Magura pads are the Sport version? Were they green? Without pulling them off my bike, can't tell. MT7's I ordered for my Shigura setup only state semi-metalic pads.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
How did you like theTrickstuff Power 170's on your MT7's,
I had problems getting them aligned properly as they are a single piece pad. I've learned that you really need two separate pads on each side of the rotor to get the mt7 adjusted and working properly. I removed them and Now will only use seperated pads.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles