Magura MT7 - alignment help

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I finally got round to fitting my MT7s.

After the big issue of the rear hose routing being blocked, the rest seemed like a walk in the park! I’ve never installed brakes of any kind before, so was a bit apprehensive. YouTube kept me right though.

I bought a bleed kit, and followed a YouTube tutorial, which was spot on. When I pull the levers now - they feel like there is plenty of stopping power behind them... so the bleeding must’ve gone well.

I also swapped the rotors over for the recommended Storm HC’s.

The rear is fine. No rubbing what so ever when I turn the wheel.
Shame I can’t say the same about the front. There is one part of the rotor that pretty much locks the wheel dead. The rotor doesn’t look bent - or didn’t when I laid it down on my kitchen worktop.

What’s the best way to fix this? I left the piston loose until the wheel was in place - then held down the lever when tightening up the piston. That’s always worked for the alignment of SRAM brakes in the past. Is there a trick to Magura?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What’s the best way to fix this? I left the piston loose until the wheel was in place - then held down the lever when tightening up the piston. That’s always worked for the alignment of SRAM brakes in the past. Is there a trick to Magura?

Glad you got your hose sorted !

Like you, I've been fairly new to many of these things myself.

I've found it's best to visually align it as close as possible before using the lever to align it as sometimes it doesn't self centre as well as you'd expect - presumably the angles don't always work in it's favour to move horizontally to the right spot. Also, when tightening, nip up one then the other, then check it, then re-apply the lever and tighten carefully as sometimes when tightening it can twist the caliper.

Noticed one of my SRAM disks was bent the other day and had to straighten that out with pliers and bending.. they'll be going in the bin soon or sent to Gary for his birthday present... Send a man SRAM .. there is no greater punishment ..

Next, check your kitchen worktop for levels...

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
to true the rotor i use a small flashlight and shine it in such a way to see both pads and the rotor as the wheel spins in a stand or bike upside down. My eyes suck so i spin the wheel and listen, find the area and visually confirm which way the rotor needs to bend ,,repeat

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Maybe one of the pistons is sticking, try working the pistons by pumping them out and manually pushing in a few times with pads removed. I didn't have an issue with mine for alignment when I recently installed, but have heard the pistons can be sticky when new.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Maybe one of the pistons is sticking, try working the pistons by pumping them out and manually pushing in a few times with pads removed. I didn't have an issue with mine for alignment when I recently installed, but have heard the pistons can be sticky when new.

Will give that a try tonight. I’ve changed to a new fork, but haven’t refitted the brakes yet. Hopefully it’ll just work this time!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles