Magura MT5 Brake Question

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I’m stumped too, except to say that I’m not convinced your LBS is ‘on your side’ on this one, by which I mean they don’t seem invested in fixing this for you and then giving your bike back with working brakes.

I have MT5’s and I couldn’t be happier. My LBS (@18bikes in Hope, U.K. and famous for winning the SingleTrack customer award more times than any other LBS) told me that whilst simple to set up, there’s a ‘knack’ to getting them bled correctly that any LBS regularly fitting them will know, if only through experience of getting wrong!

Magura provide excellent support. You could contact them directly. But a good LBS selling Magura kit will already be plumbed into that.

You have your amazing 5yr guarantee and you haven’t been tempted into any amateur fiddling that would leave evidence of tampering. That will work at any LBS that sells Magura.

Consider finding another LBS that has a good rep, fits and services lots of Magura and take it to them. I think a lot of us here still think that there’s air in the back ones. None of us seems to able to explain the uneven pad wear at the front and the back.

?
I was on a trip and had no fluid or syringe and had the shop in town do it. In my experience with them I would say I just had the wrong guy do it. As they are well known and work on and sell a lot of high end bikes.

I'm likely to send the images to Magura just to see if its something silly that I'm missing.

another odd thing is that they work way better using 1/2 of the pad than the Guide R's did that came on the bike.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
another odd thing is that they work way better using 1/2 of the pad than the Guide R's did that came on the bike.
That’s not odd at all…. Well, of course it is odd really….

But my point is that the difference between the MT5/7 and the Guides/Codes is like chalk and cheese. And you’ll be getting some retardation from the part of the pads that are much less worn. So, whilst you have a problem, it’s entirely believable that the retardation is still better than the guides.

And when they’re fixed, you’ll be amazed. For example, correctly using front wheel braking — i.e. mainly (80%?) using the front when correctly carrying speed — is more intuitive because of the exceptional progression.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I’m sure I’ve read somewhere on this forum someone recommending an ebay seller for MT5 brake pads. Can’t find the post anywhere though through the search function. Anyone know who the seller is ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I’m sure I’ve read somewhere on this forum someone recommending an ebay seller for MT5 brake pads. Can’t find the post anywhere though through the search function. Anyone know who the seller is ?

Found it !

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Have you tried the one-piece pads as opposed to 4 separate ones?
I have no idea what Magura say the difference is but it does seem strange that both types are available/fit.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Have you tried the one-piece pads as opposed to 4 separate ones?
I have no idea what Magura say the difference is but it does seem strange that both types are available/fit.

My bike came with the one piece pads as stock but I changed those to the 4 separate pads with the screws after around 400 miles. I couldn’t tell any difference in performance, but I was riding in winter when I first had the bike so different conditions. The guy at my LBS told me the one piece pads are the newer versions and are easier to fit, but I quite like the extra faffing of fitting the 4 separate ones!

I’ve got a set of four ceramics coming from that Noah & Theo off ebay, only around £13 for the set, bargain, hope they’re ok

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
My bike came with the one piece pads as stock but I changed those to the 4 separate pads with the screws after around 400 miles. I couldn’t tell any difference in performance, but I was riding in winter when I first had the bike so different conditions. The guy at my LBS told me the one piece pads are the newer versions and are easier to fit, but I quite like the extra faffing of fitting the 4 separate ones!

I’ve got a set of four ceramics coming from that Noah & Theo off ebay, only around £13 for the set, bargain, hope they’re ok

How can removing the caliper or wheel be easier than undoing 2 screws and sliding the pads in or out? The 4 piece pads (standard fit in the MT7) can be swapped out in a minute. Some LBS give customers such BS.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
How can removing the caliper or wheel be easier than undoing 2 screws and sliding the pads in or out? The 4 piece pads (standard fit in the MT7) can be swapped out in a minute. Some LBS give customers such BS.

Yes they only had the one piece pads in stock so think it could have been a sales BS pitch too!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Looking forward to your feedback?

New pads just landed in the post today, which was quick as I only ordered them Wednesday evening. Just fitted, have a long weekend of biking ahead (two days off Mon/Tue) so will post on here probably Wednesday evening how the ceramic Noah & Theo’s feel compared to the standard 8.P Magura’s (which were almost down to nothing when I took them off ?)

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Here’s a benefit for the MT5’s….. Just now, I have 4 stock Magura pads in my rear calliper, held in with the pins….. Well, I say that…. In fact the front pair of pads are just sitting there, no doubt held by the magnet system without the pin which is likely somewhere above Derwent ??? The rear pair have their pin, but it’s not clear why….. because it’s completely unthreaded.

a) They’re working just fine, I’m impressed ‼
b) I’ve ordered some Locktight — it seems the blue PritStick version doesn’t work so well after about 10 yrs ???
c) I’ve prepared myself for all the cruel banter I’m about to get for not checking they were tight ???

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I installed mt7’s w/220mm rotors on the front yesterday. (Not mt5’s I know). Did the bleed with a push syringe at the calliper and an open syringe at the master (lever). Pushed the Royal Blood back and forth several times with the calliper disc(s) fully pushed in using the blocks.

During the recommended bleed procedure it suggests flicking the lever 3 times after each push. This was when I noticed micro-bubbles, during the push, in the upper opened syringe. No micro-bubbles would appear after each push unless I flicked the lever (3times).

I decided to use an old electric toothbrush to vibrate any bubbles out of the system. I still get micro-bubbles when I flick the lever. I eventually stopped, assembled and aligned the calliper with the wheel, spun the wheel, tested the brake and went for a quick test ride.

Amazing. Night and day when compared with the XTR’s for the rear. LBS will install the rear mt7’s and rotor this Wednesday. I hope I don’t have the same alignment issues as Shinn.
I’m not a bike mechanics but the LBS told me that the 4 pad system is better for alignment on the larger rotors. We will see.

The only thing, I can think of, is the squareness of the larger spacer which attaches to the rear triangle. Could this cause alignment issues? (Paint, dirt, poor fabrication etc).

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I installed mt7’s w/220mm rotors on the front yesterday. (Not mt5’s I know).

Amazing. Night and day when compared with the XTR’s for the rear.
Great choice buddy — you won’t look back. Did you use the Magura floating rotor?
Also, MT7’s and MT5’s are essentially identical as far as this thread is concerned,so this is helpful ?
You won’t have alignment issues.
And, I just replaced my four pads — the ones with only one pin, see above — with the two piece pads for the first time (had them spare and no spare pin). Seem to work exactly the same on a short ride after bedding in.
One thing with the two part pads that don’t use the pins: the pistons have to absolutely completely pushed back in otherwise there simply isn’t enough space to fit them in due to their shape. I’m not moaning as I’m a big fan of pushing the pistons all the way back in ?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Great choice buddy — you won’t look back. Did you use the Magura floating rotor?
Also, MT7’s and MT5’s are essentially identical as far as this thread is concerned,so this is helpful …
Yup, floating 220mm rotor. Better cooling I guess.
Gave them a good run this afternoon. Big difference. I’ve got the XTR’s on the rear (temporarily) so I could compare the lever action.(Magura vs XTR). My preference is the action on the Magura’s and the stopping/braking is so much better.
Getting the Wolf Tooth dropper lever that fits the Magura brake lever too.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
My preference is the action on the Magura’s and the stopping/braking is so much better.
Getting the Wolf Tooth dropper lever that fits the Magura brake lever too.
Really pleased for you.
Which Magura brake levers are you using?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Really pleased for you.
Which Magura brake levers are you using?
I believe there are 3 types of available levers . I have, and prefer, the short single finger type(carbon/composite?).

I installed the wolf tooth/Magura specific dropper lever too. (Fast delivery). Inboard or outboard is not a problem with fine tuning that adjustment. It’s the rotational adjustment in relation to the brake lever angle. There is none…it’s set in relation to the mount angle for the brake lever. (Or at least I can’t see any adjustment). Anyways, dropper position is not as important as brake lever angle. I suppose I could install a wolf tooth with a separate bar clamp but I want a cleaner cockpit.

The LBS will finish the rear Magura install and bleed today. I’ll let them fish the rear hose thru the bike and drop the motor. They’ve given me enough free advice and stuff to justify this part of the install.

I like the t25 torx screws on the Magura parts too. Less chance of stripping a bolt head and a more positive feel. Hecks no Hex ?.

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
New pads just landed in the post today, which was quick as I only ordered them Wednesday evening. Just fitted, have a long weekend of biking ahead (two days off Mon/Tue) so will post on here probably Wednesday evening how the ceramic Noah & Theo’s feel compared to the standard 8.P Magura’s (which were almost down to nothing when I took them off ?)
Interested to hear what you think of the Noah&Theo ceramic pads, the company is actually run by a friend of mine and based locally in Kent. I've run through a few of his semi-sintered pads on my Zees without any issues.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Interested to hear what you think of the Noah&Theo ceramic pads, the company is actually run by a friend of mine and based locally in Kent. I've run through a few of his semi-sintered pads on my Zees without any issues.

I bedded them in by braking hard up and down the car park at Hamsterley Forest on Saturday morning, about twenty runs. I looked like a loony

For most of the day on Saturday they had a very high pitched squeal, the highest frequency I have heard a brake pad before. It was quite pleasant. Felt like I was riding a spaceship. Pads were working fine, bike slowed down

On Sunday we returned to Hamsterley. The high pitched squeal had gone, but was now a more recognisable squeak. Pads were working fine, bike slowed down

Monday & Tuesday we were at Dalby Forest, by now the pads had been properly bedded in and were biting hard. Very hard. No noise, no squeals or squeaks. Just instant stopping power. A vice like grip on the rotors with a little pull on the brake lever. I’m impressed and will be buying all of my pads from Noah & Theo in the future (as long as they remain competitively priced !)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles