Madison confirm EP8 available as upgrade - INFO

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
I have a 2 year old Santa Cruz Heckler X01. She's rocking i9 Reserves, Factory 36's, AXS dropper and Mech - so great spec.

She's out of warranty with Shimano so I've been looking at it and thinking about what I do if the motor goes. Plus I have an EP8 Heckler MX and really think the EP8 is a much better offering.

After waiting a bit I've finally had confirmation that a dealer can buy an EP8, here's what I've been told in emails;

From Madison
  • The motor cost is £969.99
  • You need to get adapters for the SD300 cables OR new cables/controller/screen
  • You need permission from the manufacturer to put the EP8 in the bike
  • They need the Service log/Unit log from the E8000 - available via E-Tube Diagnostics
From Jungle (Santa Cruz UK)
  • They are happy for me or Madison to email them for permission to put the EP8 in the bike
  • They are happy to confirm the EP8 can go in the bike
So from what I can see this gives a new lease of life to a bike that is perfectly good and should mean owners of other manufacturers can do the same.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@DJ57UMP That is a really useful piece of work. I'm sure that more than a few riders with e8000 motors will thank you for that.

Will you be doing the work yourself? (Subject to the LBS doing the service log transfer bit).

It would be great if you could update this thread with a report on how it goes, tricky bits, cost etc.

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
@DJ57UMP That is a really useful piece of work. I'm sure that more than a few riders with e8000 motors will thank you for that.

Will you be doing the work yourself? (Subject to the LBS doing the service log transfer bit).

It would be great if you could update this thread with a report on how it goes, tricky bits, cost etc.

I'm really considering it.

I wanted to mullet me Heckler but didn't want to spend more money on her if I couldn't sort the motor.

TBH I was just going to sell the Heckler and buy a Levo but I'm a really SC fan so if I can stay on the Heckler then that gives me food for thought.

At the same time, I might do it so I can sell the bike with a new motor/warranty...

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
I'm just chatting with a decent SC dealer to see if we can make this happen.

It's all well and good in theory but everything can change when you actually try and do it - so I'll update as and when I have news.

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
My e8000 has failed (E010 / W0013) and I’m out of warranty. This seems like a good way of upgrading, especially considering that an e8000 from Madison is £ 920. I had a quick look online for the adapters and the only place that seems to sell them is a shop in Italy (on eBay). Ridiculous delivery charges, so it will make it expensive.

Anyone know of another supplier and what, exactly, is required (adapters, display, switch, etc.)?

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
SHIMANO EW-AD305 is available in German online bike shops and shipping cost is reasonable
Hi Spiff,

Thanks for looking, someone sent me this link in another post.

I have ascertained that my current display (SC-E8000) is not compatible. I found this compatibility document in another post.

This is the relevant page.

C022A5E4-EDC7-48FD-B157-09B3AB6E0C8C.jpeg

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight

rpurdie

Jan 12, 2023
UK
Just to update on this, Madison in the UK won't do this. I have written confirmation from Santa Cruz that using an EP8 with my frame is fine, type approved, etc. but they will only exchange like for like motors (E8000 for E8000), I can't buy any replacement motor, an E8000 or an EP-8. Only option for the EP-8 is looking to buy one from abroad.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles