SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I don't think it's an issue. It gives you options down the line if other things do become available.

Alternatively, you could install one of those little liftout ash trays like a car from the 70's.
Yes. Be nice to have a sweet Siryon integrated display upgrade in the future! Or just like the Trek Fuel Ex-e display (less tech but color) which is a simpler HUD, but nice when I test rode on demanding terrain...easy to see!

Screenshot_20230111-095225.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yes. Be nice to have a sweet Siryon integrated display upgrade in the future! Or just like the Trek Fuel Ex-e display (less tech but color) which is a simpler HUD, but nice when I test rode on demanding terrain...easy to see!

View attachment 104444
The Siryon display is basically just an android phone stuffed in there. But at least with the hole in the frame you can run cables to anything else you may want to mount there.

Display, handlebar button operated water fountain ! The options are endless..

Beware, there are several threads for "my button operated frame mounted water fountain works like my walk mode and only wets my chin"

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
The Siryon display is basically just an android phone stuffed in there. But at least with the hole in the frame you can run cables to anything else you may want to mount there.

Display, handlebar button operated water fountain ! The options are endless..

Beware, there are several threads for "my button operated frame mounted water fountain works like my walk mode and only wets my chin"
Or even the simpler Fazua60/TQ50 blend-like system from a clever 3rd party seller. Basic LED colored lights integrated frame HUD already on the DP-171 paired with a very discreet tactile push button system...great thumb feel on Fuel Ex-e!!!👍

Side note: I recently rented the Pivot Shuttle SL Fauza60, the display was simple and intuitive as others had argued. The SL was nice...that 10+ lbs drop in overall frame was peppy and agile. Just a tad underpowered.

60Nm is ok but 75-95 Nm sounds better in the M820 IF works as designed.🤙🙏

Screenshot_20230111-113249.png Screenshot_20230111-115214.png

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Or hack somehow an existing Bafang discreet switcher button? I know it's a UART not CAN firmware, but some ingenuitive forum member here perhaps?😁 Only $45 USD for a nice wired remote switch...🍻

Screenshot_20230111-114918.png Screenshot_20230111-115214.png Screenshot_20230111-115044.png

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
This is an ordinary button with a motor activation wire. I didn't see the USB connector on the new remotes for the M820 anywhere.

002.jpg

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
The remote switch is not CAN, only analog on/off switches. I use various old BBS uart remote, just wiring modification needed to adapt to display DPC240/241. LAnton have allready explain that
I believe LAnton was suggesting that the integrated display the DP-1711.CAN on the frame was a power on/off button only.

It's that, and a 3-mode power selector combo. It's Bluetooth rather than a USB compatible. I just showed him that it's the fully independent HMI made for H700 hub ecity drive kit as pictured previously. So, Linda, the CEF50 salesperson is saying they're mixing two separate HMI kits to somehow work together. l'm unsure that they are compatible.

It has no remote power mode selector unfortunately. Hence the suggestion of adapting an alternative like the UART switch from BBSHD set up.

You're suggesting the alternative DP-C961 UART remote is an analogue switch only and can easily be adapted to the DP-171.CAN display?

If so, awesome.👍

Last edited:

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I believe LAnton was suggesting that the integrated display the DP-1711.CAN on the frame was a power on/off button only.

It's that, and a 3-mode power selector combo. It's Bluetooth rather than a USB compatible. I just showed him that it's the fully independent HMI made for H700 hub ecity drive kit as pictured previously. So, Linda, the CEF50 salesperson is saying there mixing two separate HMI kits to somehow work together. l'm unsure that they are compatible.

It has no remote power mode selector unfortunately. Hence the suggestion of adapting an alternative like the UART switch from BBSHD set up.

You're suggesting the alternative DP-C961 UART remote is an analogue switch only and can easily be adapted to the DP-171.CAN display?

If so, awesome.👍
i speak about the C961 remote of your pics, About DPE170/171, i don't know, i never touched it

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
i speak about the C961 remote of your pics, About DPE170/171, i don't know, i never touched it
Ok. That was my point how to modify the C961.UART remote for the 171.CAN display?.

You're suggesting that it's not a firmware problem, it's just cable connector compatibility issue?

If so great! But how? I'm no electrician or computer programmer.😁

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Ok. That was my point how to modify the C961.UART remote for the 171.CAN display?.

You're suggesting that it's not a firmware problem, it's just cable connector compatibility issue?

If so great! But how? I'm no electrician or computer programmer.😁
Does the 171 have a remote on handelbar wired to it ? if yes, i think that the remote alike all other HMI is just analogic on/off switches. Does it linked directely to the main wire to the motor alike all other HMI display, without any connector for an remote ? if yes, i don't think you can add additional remote control.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Does the 171 have a remote on handelbar wired to it ? if yes, i think that the remote alike all other HMI is just analogic on/off switches. Does it linked directely to the main wire to the motor alike all other HMI display, without any connector for an remote ? if yes, i don't think you can add additional remote control.
The 171 doesn't have a remote handlebar hardwired power mode selector/onoff switch, so it's unlikely it could be wired in if the main motor wire is the only wire attachment...so I assume that but don't know yet honestly. We'll wait to see when the frames get shipped out.

But I think the adapted remote selector switch, if it could be hardwired in, then a hardware UART/CAN firmware incompatible issue arises.

You are saying that is not necessarily the case. In the past you have successfully hardwired in a different remote switch like you did with HMI DPC 240 CAN display, this didn't need a firmware update?

Again, if so, that would be simpler!😉 We'll wait and trouble shoot this at a later date if needed.👍

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Currently on my bikes, i use various UART remote with CAN DPC240/241. alike with CAN DPC965 already used
View attachment 104477 View attachment 104478
Cool. If there was another wire connector, additional to motor wire on the 171...just splice in. Easy! It's analogue. No firmware issues. Got it! 👍

But like we both speculate, the 171 has only a motor wire connector....so no way to hardwire it.😜

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Cool. If there was another wire connector, additional to motor wire on the 171...just splice in. Easy! It's analogue. No firmware issues. Got it! 👍

But like we both speculate, the 171 has only a motor wire connector....so no way to hardwire it.😜
i will be surprised if bafang don't allow possibility to have remote switch to easily change the mode without letting go the handlebar

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
i will be surprised if bafang don't allow possibility to have remote switch to easily change the mode without letting go the handlebar
We'll see...I hope🤞
Be nice if you're right!😎🍻

It's hard too tell from pic below. I'll ask Linda for another angle of the DP-171.CAN. But, she may already be on holiday.

Screenshot_20230112-083918.png

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
We'll see...I hope🤞
Be nice if you're right!😎🍻

It's hard too tell from pic below. I'll ask Linda for another angle of the DP-171.CAN. But, she may already be on holiday.

View attachment 104482
Looks like we'll have to wait. I should've asked a few weeks ago. But, the Bafang-e.com website clearly shows no handlebar mount remote switch for the DP-171.CAN like it does for all other models...so observation suggests only the motor wire unfortunately.

Screenshot_20230112-085538.png Screenshot_20230108-103502.png

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Canbus is nothing like serial uart. Serial uart is just a serial stream of data being put out there for a device to "catch". CANBUS is an intelligent system. It has an interface specification to connect devices but that is not all. The devices are all "smart" which means they listen on the bus for information requests. Then devices respond when they detect a request for their services. So it is not as simple as splicing interface hardware. The device must know how to talk can protocol.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Looks like we'll have to wait. I should've asked a few weeks ago. But, the Bafang-e.com website clearly shows no handlebar mount remote switch for the DP-171.CAN like it does for all other models...so observation suggests only the motor wire unfortunately.

View attachment 104483 View attachment 104484
It looks like Bafang HMI lineup will show a display and wired remote if one exists. So none for the 171.

Screenshot_20230112-090748.png Screenshot_20230112-090715.png

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
On my bbhsd I mix and match UART displays. I would not be surprised if the can displays will all swap out with each other. But the odd thing is that the E171 does not list a cable connector type that would tend to indicate it can swap out with the connector for the other displays.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
On my bbhsd I mix and match UART displays. I would not be surprised if the can displays will all swap out with each other. But the odd thing is that the E171 does not list a cable connector type that would tend to indicate it can swap out with the connector for the other displays.
Yes weird.👍 Unkownable until physical inspection. 😜

Now I'm strategically turning my direction toward compatible aftermarket headsets that are internally routed cables (IRC). FSA has one.

Anyone sourcing a quality IRC headset to replace stock?

Screenshot_20230111-141720.png Screenshot_20230111-144253.png

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Anybody find a replacement that eliminates the cables going through the headset :(

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles