SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
Thanks TCFlowClyde for starting this thread. I built my CEF50 last year as I wanted something lighter than my E10. I just want to share with those who ride in wet weather (or who uses a hose pipe to wash their bike) something I recently discovered, water builds up inside the rear top yoke (as marked in the photo). I discovered it recently when I tipped the frame forward about 45deg when doing some maintenance work on a stand. View attachment 138452
Water enter from here , there is a hole between the linkage , I close it with foam + silicone glue.

Screenshot_20240416_073156_Gallery.jpg 20240416_115310.jpg

Last edited:

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
Hm, Jean didn't say anything to me about that....
I buy from linda, she has more experience now as I highlight all kind of problem I encountered ..Linda WhatsApp contact +86 19313711220, I bought another 4 frameset from her n will be ship this week. I pay directly to her personal e wallet account to save some fees as I trust her.

IMG-20240416-WA0034.jpg

Last edited:

92se-r

Dec 23, 2023
United states
Wow i might have fixed the clunking. This is the first time i have been able to put headset together and not feel a hint of play. I ended up swapping out the bearing. I also added another 0.5mm spacer, for a total of 3 spacers (1.5mm). I inspected cup and split ring. Both are clearly aluminum and not plastic. Not sure what the other members got for their headsets. Just to recap, i have a headset with an intact top cap not intended for headset routing. I started looking at split ring, and hypothesized that the opening is way too large and allows for this split ring to flex, due to not sufficient surface area engaging the acb bearing. So i had a theory that most forces are forward and aft, not side to side. So i made sure to orient the open end 90 degrees to forward. I shouldve taken a picture. This way forward and aft loads engage solid aluminum against the bearing. Not sure which of these things got rid of the play, but now it feels like all my other bikes with zero play. We will see this week when i take it for a ride

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
Wow i might have fixed the clunking. This is the first time i have been able to put headset together and not feel a hint of play. I ended up swapping out the bearing. I also added another 0.5mm spacer, for a total of 3 spacers (1.5mm). I inspected cup and split ring. Both are clearly aluminum and not plastic. Not sure what the other members got for their headsets. Just to recap, i have a headset with an intact top cap not intended for headset routing. I started looking at split ring, and hypothesized that the opening is way too large and allows for this split ring to flex, due to not sufficient surface area engaging the acb bearing. So i had a theory that most forces are forward and aft, not side to side. So i made sure to orient the open end 90 degrees to forward. I shouldve taken a picture. This way forward and aft loads engage solid aluminum against the bearing. Not sure which of these things got rid of the play, but now it feels like all my other bikes with zero play. We will see this week when i take it for a ride
Nice try bro , so you still use the 1.5mm spacer? A picture will be great ,

Last edited:

Herculesridesebikes

Jun 19, 2023
Australia
Can anyone tell me whether it is worth buying the Besst tool to tune and update the firmware on the m820? I currently have version CRX30PC3615E102002.3 installed and am trying to figure out if there is much of a performance gain.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Can anyone tell me whether it is worth buying the Besst tool to tune and update the firmware on the m820? I currently have version CRX30PC3615E102002.3 installed and am trying to figure out if there is much of a performance gain.
You may want it for other reasons like flashing a replacement controller. AliExpress for $100 +/- to have when/if needed. Nice to have on hand. 👍

Herculesridesebikes

Jun 19, 2023
Australia
as far as I could read on the forum, they have some problems only with the 36v system. maybe I will make a 48v battery.
I don't have any major problems with my firmware or battery, I do notice the battery drains quite quickly during rides though I burned through about 70% riding roughly 30km and 2500ft on boost . I have read the 2003.2 FW worked well for a few people that had the 36v system with more power and consumption and thought of trying it. Is there a way to backup your old software when you change it?

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
I don't have any major problems with my firmware or battery, I do notice the battery drains quite quickly during rides though I burned through about 70% riding roughly 30km and 2500ft on boost . I have read the 2003.2 FW worked well for a few people that had the 36v system with more power and consumption and thought of trying it. Is there a way to backup your old software when you change it?
i tried that fw. does not recognize the battery. backup cannot be made.

Gary_the_flog

Apr 22, 2024
Earth
MY frame finally done, New Update CEF50 -V2 with Update Coil shock mount position and Chameleon color

View attachment 131066
I'm trying to price up a build.
Is there any way of knowing whether the frame from a supplier has clearance for a coil (V2 frame)?
Has anyone figured out whether a 216mm eye-to-eye will fit?
Attached is the picture from the spec sheet I received from the supplier. Company is Changzhou Fieldebikes Co., Ltd.

Many thanks.

image_2024-04-22_182903575.png

Gary_the_flog

Apr 22, 2024
Earth
Obviously if you buy from the manufacturer you can get what you want instead of buying from a reseller.
Do you know for a fact that the manufacturer is now only supplying a coil compatible frame?

Still would like to know whether a longer length shock would fit. Not concerned about warranty for extra 6mm on a 216mm. Just want to know whether it would physically fit so I can work out an overall budget.

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
Do you know for a fact that the manufacturer is now only supplying a coil compatible frame?

Still would like to know whether a longer length shock would fit. Not concerned about warranty for extra 6mm on a 216mm. Just want to know whether it would physically fit so I can work out an overall budget.
I think 216 will be too long. I put 210 with offset bushing on both sides, about the length of 213 and there is still 2mm space.

everything else you have to try yourself!

Gary_the_flog

Apr 22, 2024
Earth
I think 216 will be too long. I put 210 with offset bushing on both sides, about the length of 213 and there is still 2mm space.

everything else you have to try yourself!
Thanks! Why did you need an offset bushing if the frame is built around a 210mm shock?

When you talk about 2mm clearance, do you mean for the rear wheel (as it looks like there is heaps for the shock based on the linkage movement).

Was it a coil by any chance?

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US

I have a webcam in their office and I see everything they do.

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
Thanks! Why did you need an offset bushing if the frame is built around a 210mm shock?

When you talk about 2mm clearance, do you mean for the rear wheel (as it looks like there is heaps for the shock based on the linkage movement).

Was it a coil by any chance?
I use air shock. 2mm in the length of the shock installation.
offset bushing for the reason that the bike is a mullet and then the bb is too low and the fork angle is 63°. with offset bushing, I got a height of bb approx. 350mm and HA 64-64.5°.

if you need a longer shock and longer stroke, then buy an e82 frame!

DiReCtX

Apr 24, 2024
Poland
I'm sorry if spamming too much, but after fixing all the initial issues (rattling cables, loose headset) I'm really starting to like this bike. Currently, the remaining issues that I see are:
  • minor cable rattling in the headtube - I haven't used foam tubes there so as not to increase friction while moving the handlebar. I will probably have to live with that;
  • mud ingress into the "engine compartment", any known solutions to sealing this?
  • mud accumulation in the lower suspension bearings area; I will look for a mudguard long enough to protect both chainstay and seatstay bearings (and my bottom too). Does anybody have a working solution to this problem, could you share link to your mudguard?
View attachment 136287
@voigtkampff
Hi
I am also planning to buy a frame + 48V engine + 48V 700wh battery and I have a question: how long did you wait from ordering with custom paint frame to delivery Poland?
I plan to order it with the places for the cables already cut out in the head tube after reading this thread and I have one more question for you regarding payment for the frame, if you can, please contact me via PM

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles