M510 power variations

iscander13

Oct 11, 2021
earth
Hi. I have the same cutoffs on my engine. Only 700km on the ODO. Problems have occurred since the beginning of operation. In the beginning of operation the cutoffs were on light PASSes on flat surface. But now I have cutoffs on all levels. I have noticed that sometimes I get a lot of cutoffs when I ride a steep gravel road uphill. It looks like something is not well mounted inside and it's affecting the engine performance. I have hardware version FC 1.0 and software CRX10NC4814i101003.1. I am waiting for the BESST tool to change the software, but when I see the problem progressing in my motor, I don't think a software update will help me solve these issues. It seems to be a torque sensor problem. @patdam, is it difficult to replace the torque sensor by yourself?

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand
Hi. I have the same cutoffs on my engine. Only 700km on the ODO. Problems have occurred since the beginning of operation. In the beginning of operation the cutoffs were on light PASSes on flat surface. But now I have cutoffs on all levels. I have noticed that sometimes I get a lot of cutoffs when I ride a steep gravel road uphill. It looks like something is not well mounted inside and it's affecting the engine performance. I have hardware version FC 1.0 and software CRX10NC4814i101003.1. I am waiting for the BESST tool to change the software, but when I see the problem progressing in my motor, I don't think a software update will help me solve these issues. It seems to be a torque sensor problem. @patdam, is it difficult to replace the torque sensor by yourself?
I have a new torque sensor ordered, it’s in transit so will let you know how easy it is to replace.
I just swapped back to my M500 motor and really notice the difference the power delivery is consistent, although sedate and lower cadence.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
HI. not difficult. for your problem take care before that is not an wiring problem (bad contact). For my case with 3.2 and 3.6 controller software rev it remained only power variations, mostly perceptible at lower crank RPM and/or lower arms torque, mostly when the motor is hot. At dismanteling i have constated that the printed circuit on the torque sensor had a crak (not broken), i think that the prob come from here. in any case solved after torque sensor replacement.

Remove case from controler side (chain ring side) with take care that crank arms axle (the torque sensor) keep in the other crankcase side (leave left crank arm in place). Dismantle the pignons assembly and after you can extract easly the torque sensor, Take care at assembly , it have an protudring printed circuit and it have precise location.

DSCF1850.JPG

DSCF1851.JPG

Last edited:

iscander13

Oct 11, 2021
earth
for your problem take care before that is not an wiring problem (bad contact)
Hello. What do you mean to say there is a wiring problem (bad contact)? I don't have a power cutoffs, only an assist cutoffs when I pedal for a second or more, as if I'm riding at 0 assist level. The motor seems to think I am not pushing the pedals. The display is working with no problems. Do you mean I need to re-plug all the connectors on the engine side?

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Hello. What do you mean to say there is a wiring problem (bad contact)? I don't have a power cutoffs, only an assist cutoffs when I pedal for a second or more, as if I'm riding at 0 assist level. The motor seems to think I am not pushing the pedals. The display is working with no problems. Do you mean I need to re-plug all the connectors on the engine side?
No, if displaing is right and if you have an software whitout power variations (3.1-CS, 3.2, 3.6). it's seem alike my problem, in my case it was the torque sensor. I couldn(t check with the BESST tool, M510 torque sensor doesn't recognized. I haven't find supplier to purchase an new one and my supplier (myebike) don't answered at my requests. Fortunately the bafang center in my country had support me and have sent me an new torque sensor. Firstly you need to request to your motor supplier (normal procédure) and if he don't help you, try with bafang to recover one, see if you have an local center in your country. good luck.

napshotman

Feb 28, 2023
SG
Hello Rider, i have the exact same problem as you FC1.0 and FW is 3.1 and ODO ard 800km, i will need to know whether is the problem lies in the sensor or firmware. Following...

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Hello Rider, i have the exact same problem as you FC1.0 and FW is 3.1 and ODO ard 800km, i will need to know whether is the problem lies in the sensor or firmware. Following...
i think that (not sure) 3.1 alone have software power variations. those i'm sure haven't are 3.1-CS, 3.2, and 3.6 (but for this one, gap between cranks stop and motor stop)

iscander13

Oct 11, 2021
earth
I hope next week I will have besst tool and can change firmware to 3.6. I will let you know in this thread what will change.

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
I hope next week I will have besst tool and can change firmware to 3.6. I will let you know in this thread what will change.
I think 3.1 can't flash to 3.6, already tried before. Btw I have M510 FC 1.0 3.1 and 3.6 but my 3.1 sensor torque is broken and waiting to arrive maybe next week.

MrFixit

Mar 3, 2023
UK
How’s this for service; After many many messages back and forth with Chili, 2 people from Bafang - based in France, actually went to my friends house here in the UK on Tuesday, to test both of our M510 motors. They were at my friends house for over 3 hours checking both motors; by riding mine and using a best tool on both, initially they could not find anything wrong with my motor, (my friends motor had stopped running some time ago), they were going to leave my motor but then the motor started to run by itself - an issue I have had - as well as cutting out since receiving it last August. Anyway, they took both motors back to France for further checks. We have since had a telephone call to confirm that within two weeks we will receive two new replacement motors by air direct from China!

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Wouldnt be worry much about corrosion. It wont eat up material any soon.

Use the lube on bolts and around the bolts and ride. ;))

shikhov

May 11, 2022
Russia
These cutoffs are very strange. I had several very long rides (up to 4000m elevation) with no issues at all. Motor worked as it should. But next ride - constant cutoffs all the time. Another ride - fine work again. But I didn't change anything! o_O
I have FC1.0 with 43V firmware and 48V battery.

Last edited:

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand
Hi
I think I have the same problem, most of the time the motor works fine and the power delivers smooth as it should, but then it just keeps surging, power on , then cuts for a second and powers back on again. If I stop and then start off again it comes right.
I don’t know if all M510 do it but when I first start riding it’s dead no power then slowly the power comes on, almost like a safe mode, when I first installed it didn’t any peddle assist at all, but then starting working.
I would love find a solution.
Maybe it is the torque sensor?
Hi
I have replaced the torque sensor and the problem has gone away.
It was a relatively easy job to replace the torque sensor, the M510 motor is much the same as the M600 to strip down, there are plenty of youtube videos on how to do it, the only difference is that the M510 has all the bolts on one side and doesn’t have the separate controler cover.
I swapped back to my old M500 motor, it was good to compare, the M500 is very sedate, not on my first ride, but once you get into tech climbs with roots etc it’s much harder to keep a rhythm the power comes in too late and has much less run on. That said the M500 is fine for trail riding very smooth, quiet and reliable.

40A04EB5-CD5B-4ACE-8538-C072391B7E5C.jpeg

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Hi
I have replaced the torque sensor and the problem has gone away.
It was a relatively easy job to replace the torque sensor, the M510 motor is much the same as the M600 to strip down, there are plenty of youtube videos on how to do it, the only difference is that the M510 has all the bolts on one side and doesn’t have the separate controler cover.
I swapped back to my old M500 motor, it was good to compare, the M500 is very sedate, not on my first ride, but once you get into tech climbs with roots etc it’s much harder to keep a rhythm the power comes in too late and has much less run on. That said the M500 is fine for trail riding very smooth, quiet and reliable.

View attachment 112264
you haven't forget to apply grease on gears before close the motor ?

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand
you haven't forget to apply grease on gears before close the motor ?
Yes I greased all the gears and replaced one drive bearing as it had a small amount of water ingress.
I will be opening the motor every year just to check for any water and grease the gears going forward
I just did my old motor M500 also which needs a new bearing on the non drive side.

iscander13

Oct 11, 2021
earth
When I'm waiting my warranty motor and I have besst I decided to play with the firmwares today on a trail.
1) 3.1 cs the most natural FW. Like it, but i have the same cutoffs unfortunately
2) 3.6 - Horrible FW. Really dangerous. After you stop pedalling the motor gives off full power for 2-3 seconds. Yes i read about it, but i didn't thought that is so crap. But i have no cutoffs on this FW, hello bafang, if you decided to fix shitty torque sensor behaviour this way i am not your customer.
3) 3.2 something middle between 3.1 and 3.6. As result i have less cutoffs, but still have assist after stop pedalling. Also i noticed that with 3.2FW i have very weak walkmode (but i had the battery around 20% and maybe this was the reason)
3) On a basic 3.1 no chance to have fun riding up.

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand
Yes I greased all the gears and replaced one drive bearing as it had a small amount of water ingress.
I will be opening the motor every year just to check for any water and grease the gears going forward
I just did my old motor M500 also which needs a new bearing on the non drive side.
I just received some drive side new oil seals
On inspection the old seals are quite worn on both my M510 and M500, I recommend replacing these seals if opening up your motor as a precaution .
I got mine from here from YIEN EBIKE Store on AliExpress
the seal size is 54 x 40 x 3

1D217462-16C7-4EBC-87C4-1F53E9678E0F.jpeg

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand
Hi Patdam
My power variation problem has returned, I have never done a firmware update and not sure if it will fix the problem.
What Firmware update do I need for my 36V motor do you know?

F27765C5-63EB-4F2D-BEDA-86C3117D3A4B.png

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Hi. sorry i don't know, i never used 36V. Now i have replaced the controller to an FC2.0 on tmy FC1.0 48V. Because if torque sensor replace have solved initial power variations on all mode, I still had some randomly on high mode. Fully solved with the FC2.0. In add it have a lot off more adjustable parameters to personalize the motor functioning.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Goff, maybe would be best for you also to swap controller for FC2.0
I see u have FC1.0 and fw v1.1, there was 3 revisions of FC1.0. It is hard to tell which FC1.0 u have.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Thats great. ;)
Working now on a webpage, so there will be proper page finally. I hate it though, so much youtube to watch. ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles