M510 power variations

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I open this tread specially dedicated to the M510 power variations, because it seem that otherpeople with M510 rev 1.0 still have the problem of power variations not fully solved (alike me) with the 3.1-CS, 3.2 or 3.6 controler software update. I hope that could help us to find an solution.
To complete about this problem. It occur essentially when i'm tired and i need more motor assist with less crankarms effort. I have tested (for the first time) in all the PAS levels. the problem occur in every, than 1 to 5.

As i can't read the characteristic of the torque sensor with the BESST tool, nor do an calibration. I'm asked myself (but i don't find the answer :unsure:) if in fact it's not a problem with the torque sensor ?

+
One remark for those who have the motor functioning with walk mode and not with crank arms turn.
You don't perform test only on bike stand ? because torque sensor only functioning with an effort on crank arms, not if you turn with hand with whells without contact with ground

Last edited:

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
I open this tread specially dedicated to the M510 power variations, because it seem that otherpeople with M510 rev 1.0 still have the problem of power variations not fully solved (alike me) with the 3.1-CS, 3.2 or 3.6 controler software update. I hope that could help us to find an solution.
To complete about this problem. It occur essentially when i'm tired and i need more motor assist with less crankarms effort. I have tested (for the first time) in all the PAS levels. the problem occur in every, than 1 to 5.

As i can't read the characteristic of the torque sensor with the BESST tool, nor do an calibration. I'm asked myself (but i don't find the answer :unsure:) if in fact it's not a problem with the torque sensor ?
could be the torque sensor. one of my M510 rev 1.0 no assist at all, i still waiting from my seller torque sensor replacement. maybe end of this month arrive and i hope it solved the problem of power variation.

PadreParada

May 13, 2019
Madrid, Spain
I have an M510 Rev 1.0 with firmware 3.6, since a week ago. I have done a couple of rides, but I haven´t notice any power variations. What do you exactly mean by "power variation". When does it show up?

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I have an M510 Rev 1.0 with firmware 3.6, since a week ago. I have done a couple of rides, but I haven´t notice any power variations. What do you exactly mean by "power variation". When does it show up?
It's at low crank RPM (+- less than 60rpm) and low effort on cranks arms (you know, after 4 hours of ride, when you are tired and you want more help from motor ;)). the power assist cuts and restart on all the PAS levels. But currently i'm in contact with bafang people who help me, they think that is an problem from the torque sensor. i will perform an return when the problem will be solved.

With you rev 3.6 You haven't gap between crank arms stop and motor stop ?

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand

Hi
I think I have the same problem, most of the time the motor works fine and the power delivers smooth as it should, but then it just keeps surging, power on , then cuts for a second and powers back on again. If I stop and then start off again it comes right.
I don’t know if all M510 do it but when I first start riding it’s dead no power then slowly the power comes on, almost like a safe mode, when I first installed it didn’t any peddle assist at all, but then starting working.
I would love find a solution.
Maybe it is the torque sensor?

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Hi
I think I have the same problem, most of the time the motor works fine and the power delivers smooth as it should, but then it just keeps surging, power on , then cuts for a second and powers back on again. If I stop and then start off again it comes right.
I don’t know if all M510 do it but when I first start riding it’s dead no power then slowly the power comes on, almost like a safe mode, when I first installed it didn’t any peddle assist at all, but then starting working.
I would love find a solution.
Maybe it is the torque sensor?
I have changed my torque sensor, but only quickly tested on road. I will perform return to say if problem is solved or not after long MTB ride this week-end.

savas

Oct 16, 2018
sofia
i had this issues with 3.2 or 3.1, once i have upgraded to 3.6 no such issues as Patdam discribes.Didn't test yet battery attenuation ,waiting for a good weather.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
i had this issues with 3.2 or 3.1, once i have upgraded to 3.6 no such issues as Patdam discribes.Didn't test yet battery attenuation ,waiting for a good weather.
You haven't gap between crank arms stop and motor stop with your 3.6 rev ?

savas

Oct 16, 2018
sofia
probably a slight one , but it doesn't bother me ,need to test again.But 3.6 is good,especially when you tune it with Besst pro.But i will share more data once i have the oportunity to have a ride on some trails. So far i like it!

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Problem solved. It was the torque sensor. After exchange motor functioning normally. I'm too happy, this motor is lot of better than the m500 and thank bafang for they support.

savas

Oct 16, 2018
sofia
where can u download 3.6 version?your motor 48v?
i have found it here in the forum.Yes it is 48v .We need to create a repository of these firmwares here in a topic

Attachments

• CRX10NC4814i101003.6-28-2230-boot3.0-90-20221109142919(1)(1).bin
    91.1 KB · Views: 149

BootsDave

Feb 5, 2021
Aveyron, France
Problem solved. It was the torque sensor. After exchange motor functioning normally. I'm too happy, this motor is lot of better than the m500 and thank bafang for they support.
Great for fixing this problem. Do you have a part number for the new torque sensor.
I guess that Bafang shipped a whole batch of motors with faulty torque sensors?

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Great for fixing this problem. Do you have a part number for the new torque sensor.
I guess that Bafang shipped a whole batch of motors with faulty torque sensors?
Hi dave.
It the same model: SR P410.48.ST.2.0 (writes on torque sensor). Alike the previous, i can't read his characteristics or calibrate it with the BESST tool. But this one functioning correctely :love:

MrFixit

Mar 3, 2023
UK
Firstly I want to thank everyone who has put time and effort into looking at this issue. I have had the same problem for over 6 months. My motor will also begin spinning if I leave it switched on on any of the levels. I left it leaning against a tree and the bike took off. I have a question regarding corrosion of the casing, has anyone else experienced this? See images, basically there is corrosion both ends of all three holes where the bolts go through to connect the motor to the frame. Patdam, from whom did you receive your replacement torque sensor from?

IMG_20230120_131739_2.jpg IMG_20230120_131752_3.jpg IMG_20230120_131813_0.jpg

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
i suppose you had riding near (on ?) sea ? mine is lot of less damaged. But I confirm that magnesium case corrodate more quickly than aluminium (not specific at bafang products), i pulverisate WD40 on parts without paints when i assemble the motor. But for those who ride in salted atmosphere, i recommend to perform that ofen.

Torque sensor has provided by bafang. Now, it have an agency in my country (france), always not dedicated to final customer help, but they did their best to help me.
I noticed that BAFANG have relaxed they customer policy compared at 4 years ago and now it seem it's more easily to find somebody who accept to help you if you have a problem. 1st step request to your motor supplier and if it don't answer try to contact your local bafang center.

MrFixit

Mar 3, 2023
UK
I am in contact with Chili the supplier, and have sent a video of motor cutting out and surging as well as the photos of corrosion, Chili's response to the corrosion issue was noone else has mentioned it. The corrosion in part will due to winter riding in the UK, our roads are salt gritted in the winter, however I have only had the motor since August, I would have thought the paint should have protected the casing better than it has.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
th
I am in contact with Chili the supplier, and have sent a video of motor cutting out and surging as well as the photos of corrosion, Chili's response to the corrosion issue was noone else has mentioned it. The corrosion in part will due to winter riding in the UK, our roads are salt gritted in the winter, however I have only had the motor since August, I would have thought the paint should have protected the casing better than it has.
the machined parts (fixation holes) are not painted. the problem now if you doing nothing is that the corrosion will run under paint

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Release the bolts and put some “wax oil “ on and around the bolts and nuts, as long as there is no oxygen, there won’t be any corrosion. Tighten up the nuts and wipe off the excess. On the internal studs and the likes, look at any marine stores and they will have an anti corrosion grease to put in there before tightening. Don’t over fill the holes though.

MrFixit

Mar 3, 2023
UK
Thanks for the tips, I have used a wire brush to remove the corrosion from the casing and cleaned out the holes, I have applied a corrosion inhibitor, primed and repainted the casing and applied ACF 50 To the bolts before I reinserted them through the casing. I never thought of applying wax oil, which I will do. 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles