M20 or H15?

Steve-O

Aug 29, 2022
Colorado
Biggest concern with the M20 is the 34 fork. More than likely it would be just fine and it’s more in my head. The draw to the H15 is the Fox 36 as well as the benefit of the larger battery for more range.

My LBS also has an M10 with a great build (Fox 36, XT 4 piston brakes, xo1, 203 rotors, better wheels, etc)

This will be my first EMTB and I still plan on riding my XC and gravel bike most of the time. I’m 190 lbs and ride aggressively downhill, but jumping and drops aren’t typically on the trails I ride (or they’re on the smaller side).

So, do I keep the budget friendly or do I do the YOLO thing and splurge for the M10?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Sounds like with the M10 wouldn’t have to change anything which is good. I went M20 but I was swapping everything out, already had all the parts, always buy frame only builds but not an option with ebikes

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
If it helps I was also concerned about range on the carbon models, I needn't of worried, my bike achieves 23 miles with 500 meters of climbing and uses 30% battery, everything is subjective and all down to the individual but coming from a full power bike I was concerned about range.

I don't live near anything dramatic so most of my rides are classed as cross country but I now no that when I do venture out further a field the orbea will do me just fine .

It doesn't lack in the power stakes either, I have climbed some very steep inclines with this bike that I was doubtful it would achieve compared to the full power bike. Beyond these climbs the full power bike would just loop out or spin out, so in either case unachievable.

I get the anxiety over the cheaper models components.

Ironically the more expensive carbon bikes come with lesser speck suspension to save weight.

I was Sorley tempted by the M20, Start fitness had these bikes up for £4600 with there discount code :unsure:
In the end i went M10 from the same place for £6750.
My local orbea dealer would not price match.

Steve-O

Aug 29, 2022
Colorado
That color and build is exactly what I want. The LBS here has that build but it's in a customer color of grey front to black rear. Not the best but they have it $1500 off and I wouldn't have to change a thing. Thinking that's the way to go.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Problem with carbon is the the attachment points for the linkages eventually delaminates over time from the carbon. Those fittings are usually just glued in place.

HarryJune

Jun 18, 2021
Berkshire
I was in the same position, went for the H15 and loving it, more than enough power and range.
I reckon l get around 60-70 miles on full charge mostly in trail mode at swinley.

mvtomas

Dec 12, 2021
Seattle WA area
Great build on that M10. Went with H15 due to the 36 fork and larger battery. Changed the saddle, went to 4 piston SLXs, 203 rotors front and rear. Others in my ride group have M10s and they have the range extenders for the rides we do.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I have an M10 (that started live as an m20), my wife has an m20 and my closest riding buddy has an h15. I prefer my m10 build to his H15 build, but just barely. With the range extender, our bikes weigh about equal, although mine is built up burlier (stronger and heaver wheels, heavier tires and cushcore in my bike vs exo casing in his). We have more or less, the same battery range (when I have the range extender) to the point where I rarely have more then 8% more then he when we're in the bottom 1/3'rds of our batteries.

As far as how the bikes ride... They are very similar. Both are pretty flexy frames and unlike many other bikes where I've ridden both the carbon and aluminum models of the same bike... they feel like the ride quality and flex is nearly the same. The fox 34 is indeed under gunned if you 140 lbs and up on this bike and/or a hard charger. I have ridden my wife's bike once or twice and loaned it out to some advanced friends that are her same height (5'8") but about 50lbs heavier and they have noted a significant amount of fork flex but it's not a complete deal braker to the ride like it is on some bikes.

I think it mostly comes down to how much you want to or plan to upgrade and what your expected ride lengths are. If you are wanting to push 25+ miles or 3k+ climbing often, get the H15. If you want a lighter base bike and plan to upgrade and being able to ride with the bike 3lbs lighter if given the opportunity (range extender) is important, then get the M20.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Biggest concern with the M20 is the 34 fork. More than likely it would be just fine and it’s more in my head. The draw to the H15 is the Fox 36 as well as the benefit of the larger battery for more range.

My LBS also has an M10 with a great build (Fox 36, XT 4 piston brakes, xo1, 203 rotors, better wheels, etc)

This will be my first EMTB and I still plan on riding my XC and gravel bike most of the time. I’m 190 lbs and ride aggressively downhill, but jumping and drops aren’t typically on the trails I ride (or they’re on the smaller side).

So, do I keep the budget friendly or do I do the YOLO thing and splurge for the M10?

Steve-O,

I bought the M20 and found that the Fox 34 with 140mm travel was useless on any type of technical terrain. If you plan to ride smooth flow trail or park paths it will work well. The fork itself is a good fork however, the application for which it is being used is wrong. I ended up replacing the Fox 34 with a Fox 36 160mm fork and E13 165mm crank arms. The bike handles extremely well and no longer bottoms out or pedal strikes, despite the severity of the terrain.

The Orbea Rise has a 336 bottom bracket height which is fairly low, especially when compared to the Pivot Shuttle SL, 352mm, Specialized Levo SL, 348mm, and Trek Fuel EXe, 349mm. Orbea specs the Rise with 170mm crank arms. When you couple the low bottom bracket height, 170mm crank arm length and M20's 140mm fork travel, it creates an issue where the Rise M20 will bottom out easily in technical terrain and drops. I broke my Rise's engine skid shield after only a few rides.

The M10 and M20 are both great bikes however, I think for the additional money and how you will want to ride, the M10 with the Fox 36, four piston brakes, Float X rear shock and Mavic Crossmax XL wheels is a much better bike.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
I agree that the OEM Fox 34 is underwhelming. So is the stock shock. the combo of both combines to bottoming.

I replaced fork with a 150 coil-converted Lyrik and the rear with Push 11.6. OEM SLX brakes were replaced with Saints, and dropper with a 180 post from OneUp
My m20 bike is immensely more capable now in all aspects.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
I agree that the OEM Fox 34 is underwhelming. So is the stock shock. the combo of both combines to bottoming.

I replaced fork with a 150 coil-converted Lyrik and the rear with Push 11.6. OEM SLX brakes were replaced with Saints, and dropper with a 180 post from OneUp
My m20 bike is immensely more capable now in all aspects.
That’s a very nice setup. I love the feel of a coil fork, very plush and it keeps the front wheel firmly planted over the small trail chatter. The Push shock is a sweet touch also.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles