Low power output from trance X e.

op2097

Oct 23, 2022
Shropshire
Hi,
My 2021 trance xe is 6 months old. Nearly.

Obviously it was my time to shine with water ingress so a few weeks ago I had a new controller and a new smart gateway as my bike was going loopy with random lights on the controller and no power.

Bike now works but seems low on power output.

For example eco mode seems ok. Tour mode (2 lights) seems ok but anything above that feels no different.

Turbo/360% assist feels requires load aof effort. Like it's not working beyond 2 lights on the controller.

Scanned and no issues.
Pulled battery etc.

Riding brings up some random results:

Normally my 98kg body will get 4200ft climb out of a full 625 battery in eco/tour.

Riding today from my house I had it in turbo the whole time and did 1400ft climb with 50/50 road/trail.
Obviously it didn't feel like turbo. On the steep climbs I had to really put a lot of effort in.

I used 25% battery. Which equates to 5600ft of climb out of one 625wh battery on turbo.

That's not right.

Any ideas?

Thanks

op2097

Oct 23, 2022
Shropshire
Hi, I have the same bike.
Apologies if I’m being dumb, but are your app tuning settings at 100%
Yeah all maxed out. Played around with it lots. Does nothing. Just eco, then all above that feel the same.
Going to leave the battery out for 48 hours to reset the gateway and put a spare controller on to see what happens.
If all fails it's back to the dealer. again.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Hmm, this is an odd one. I’ve not heard or read about this type of fault before on the forum. On my bike there isn’t a noticeable difference between 4-5 on the power modes, but a definite kick between 2,3,4. The only component you haven’t changed is the motor but that doesn’t really make sense unless it’s a torque sensor issue. Back to dealer I’d say and get the laptop out. What was the water ingress issue ??

op2097

Oct 23, 2022
Shropshire
Hmm, this is an odd one. I’ve not heard or read about this type of fault before on the forum. On my bike there isn’t a noticeable difference between 4-5 on the power modes, but a definite kick between 2,3,4. The only component you haven’t changed is the motor but that doesn’t really make sense unless it’s a torque sensor issue. Back to dealer I’d say and get the laptop out. What was the water ingress issue ??
Apparently it was the gateway and controller at fault. They didn't really say. My 2021 has no waterproofing on any of the loom, just bare plugs. The main power plug was blue with oxidisation after 4 months!!
On the giant Facebook page 2 people have said they have had the issue.

One guy ended up with a new motor as all his power levels were akin to eco.

The other guy got told by giant that the gateway and battery need to relearn how much power to give the motor by judging your riding and that it should improve in time. That sounds like bs to me though.

I'll have a play and send it in.

Wish I'd never had bought the damn thing.

Definitely not right. I've done 1400 miles on it and it's just nowhere near the same now.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Agreed, definitely not right. Sounds like the controller and motor are not talking to each other, but they Should be able to see that in the software when they were fitted, I don’t think it’s a case of plug and play, firmware is required I believe. Only good thing I can say is that in my experience Giant dealer back up is excellent. I had issues on a 2022 trance advanced I bought (never had a problem on the 21 after 5000k) and it was no holds Barred getting it sorted for me. Good luck with it and please post the solution 👍

op2097

Oct 23, 2022
Shropshire
So,

Changed to the old spare controller I had with the bike (broken bracket. Obvs 😏)
Worked fine. Full power!
Put new controller back in. Works fine. Random! Maybe just not together properly. Who knows.

Thing is, shouldn't have to keep taking the bloody thing apart and getting new bits etc at the age it is.

Poor quality all round

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
So,

Changed to the old spare controller I had with the bike (broken bracket. Obvs 😏)
Worked fine. Full power!
Put new controller back in. Works fine. Random! Maybe just not together properly. Who knows.

Thing is, shouldn't have to keep taking the bloody thing apart and getting new bits etc at the age it is.

Poor quality all round
Well that sucks, bad connection maybe. I hate it when you don’t find a definitive problem and the thing starts working again. Glad you’ve resolved it though 👍.

op2097

Oct 23, 2022
Shropshire
Well, the bike crapped out on me.

This is how useless giant UK are:

Sent bike in. To giant UK themselves.
They replaced the loom and sent it back to the local bike shop. Bike shop tested it and the bike cut out straight away.
Sent it back to giant where it had a new motor as well. All working now.

Apparently they don't test the bikes in use. They just use a computer for diagnostics.
Pretty poor that it had to go back and forth as they didn't even try sitting on it and riding it.

Whole process took 2.5 months.

I'll never buy another giant!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles