Looking for “moving map” app for iPhone in USA

NCMike

Aug 12, 2022
georgia
I’m trying to find a mapping solution that will keep my location in the center of the screen and have the map move under me. I’ve mounted my iPhone to my handlebars and so far have been using MTB Project and the Specialized Mission Control app. They‘ve been a big help for navigation, but I have to stop and scroll around to find my position on the map. I’d prefer to just look down and see where I am without the need to keep repositioning the map. I‘ve downloaded Trailforks and All trails, and they’re great, but Im thinking they’ll have the same issue as the previous apps I‘ve tried. Is there an iPhone app that can do this, or will I need to go to a Garmin 1030 or 1040 to get a moving map display big enough for my old eyes to see that will show my position on the trails as soon as I look down?

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
Don't all map apps have an option to keep your position in the middle of the screens? I mean, komoot does this, google maps, apple maps.
Is your issue mainly it being too small, or too zoomed in, or too zoomed out? And then having to fiddle with the touch screen zoom? The bosch nyon 2 has zoom control with the buttons, its a bit fiddly though. I would prefer dedicated zoom in/out buttons.

NCMike

Aug 12, 2022
georgia
Don’t know about Komoot, but yes google maps and Apple Maps work exactly the way I’d want them to and work fine on a road routing, but they can’t navigate around the trails. All the apps I‘ve tried so far showing mountain bike trails are great at viewing the trails, and even getting detailed information about them, but none of them will keep my position on the center of the screen and move the map under me like when using google maps or Apple maps. The maps stay stationary and I just “ride off the screen”, so when I need to get directions, I have to stop, move the map around to find myself again, then I can see where I am in the trail system. So far the best answer I’ve found is to plan a route in Trailforks (or something similar), then download the route to a garmin bike computer. This would work like I’d like and even give turn by turn navigation, but I’m trying to avoid spending the money on buying another GPS device when I’d prefer to just use my iPhone. So far I haven’t found an iPhone solution, so may have to break the piggybank open for a Garmin 1040 (Since my eyes are to old to see anything smaller).

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
I’m trying to find a mapping solution that will keep my location in the center of the screen and have the map move under me. I’ve mounted my iPhone to my handlebars and so far have been using MTB Project and the Specialized Mission Control app. They‘ve been a big help for navigation, but I have to stop and scroll around to find my position on the map. I’d prefer to just look down and see where I am without the need to keep repositioning the map. I‘ve downloaded Trailforks and All trails, and they’re great, but Im thinking they’ll have the same issue as the previous apps I‘ve tried. Is there an iPhone app that can do this, or will I need to go to a Garmin 1030 or 1040 to get a moving map display big enough for my old eyes to see that will show my position on the trails as soon as I look down?
Have you tried Outdooractive.com?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Most of the ones I've tried will generally track with you, though a couple you have to press an icon to engage this option.

Generally with all of them though, if you move the map display on the screen with your finger, it will jump into manual mode (because it thinks you want it to) and stop tracking you and then you have the manually move the map. You then have to press the re-centre button (for example) for it to start following you again.

NCMike

Aug 12, 2022
georgia
Interesting, maybe I‘ve be putting it into “manual mode” and didn’t realize it. I’ll try again and put emphasis on using the recenter button and see if that works. Thanks for the tip!

NCMike

Aug 12, 2022
georgia
Zimmerframe, you’re a genius! You nailed it. With me changing the zoom size and messing with the screen before I started the rides, I was placing them into manual mode and only relocating my position by moving the screen again until I could see the blue dot. I just came back from a walk with the dog, and by hitting the re-center icon instead of manually relocating my position, it did exactly as I wanted. My position stayed in the center of the screen and the map moved correctly under me. Thanks!!!!
On a side note, I was using both Trailforks and MTB project apps during my walk. Trailforks was far superior for using as a mapping app because it had much deeper Zoom capability and seemed to update much faster and show more accurate position. MTB project made a trail with a bunch of short lines, like it only marked a position every few seconds then drew a line between them. I look forward to trying both of them in the woods, but so far I’m expecting Trailforks to be my GOTO app on my iPhone while riding, especially now that I know these apps can also track and save my ride. Until now, I was only using my Garmin watch for route tracking.
Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Most of the ones I've tried will generally track with you, though a couple you have to press an icon to engage this option.

Generally with all of them though, if you move the map display on the screen with your finger, it will jump into manual mode (because it thinks you want it to) and stop tracking you and then you have the manually move the map. You then have to press the re-centre button (for example) for it to start following you again.
Same with the UK ordnance mapping on my Android phone (use 1:25k)

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Zimmerframe, you’re a genius! You nailed it. With me changing the zoom size and messing with the screen before I started the rides, I was placing them into manual mode and only relocating my position by moving the screen again until I could see the blue dot. I just came back from a walk with the dog, and by hitting the re-center icon instead of manually relocating my position, it did exactly as I wanted. My position stayed in the center of the screen and the map moved correctly under me. Thanks!!!!
On a side note, I was using both Trailforks and MTB project apps during my walk. Trailforks was far superior for using as a mapping app because it had much deeper Zoom capability and seemed to update much faster and show more accurate position. MTB project made a trail with a bunch of short lines, like it only market a position every few seconds then drew a line between them. I look forward to trying both of them in the woods, but so far I’m expecting Trailforks to be my GOTO app on my iPhone while riding, especially now that I know these apps can also track and save my ride. Until now, I was only using my Garmin watch for route tracking.
Thanks again for the help!
And if you're Trailforks Pro user you can use Gaia GPS for free. It has better topo and aerial maps and you can get all Trailforks trails into then app. And in US it has great selection of different maps.

Armor11

Dec 26, 2022
BC, Canada
And if you're Trailforks Pro user you can use Gaia GPS for free. It has better topo and aerial maps and you can get all Trailforks trails into then app. And in US it has great selection of different maps.
I did not know that I had access to GAIA for free with my subscription. This will be awesome for my area and exploration/camping activity. Love this forum/community for the stuff I learn.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I did not know that I had access to GAIA for free with my subscription. This will be awesome for my area and exploration/camping activity. Love this forum/community for the stuff I learn.
I got this via email.
1678128788201.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles