Long term battery availability for Orbea Rise

Guyt

Feb 22, 2021
Québec
Hi!

I will likely buy a Orbea Rise sooner than later, but I have a little concern on battery availability on a long term basis. I think Orbea uses a custom internal fixed battery, so I wonder if I can buy a Rise it with confidence, knowing that I'll be able to change the battery over a 5 year period.

Thanks for helping me with my insecurities ;)

iLuveKetchup

Dec 23, 2021
Big Apple
Hi!

I will likely buy a Orbea Rise sooner than later, but I have a little concern on battery availability on a long term basis. I think Orbea uses a custom internal fixed battery, so I wonder if I can buy a Rise it with confidence, knowing that I'll be able to change the battery over a 5 year period.

Thanks for helping me with my insecurities ;)
The main issue I have with emtbs is that there are no standards. My '22 M10 is already outdated - there is new battery door, new battery, new range extender, etc. I had to replace the battery door and who knows how long they will continue to be produced? I bought two in anticipation for it to break again.

52736794824_d46c618a90_c.jpg

With all the technology moving so fast with emtbs that are low production boutique items, there is no doubt that these early generation bikes will be obsolete in short time. If not already!

Last edited:

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
one would think that with the significant cost to get these bikes the manufacturers would do some retro fitting of new parts (if possible) to previous models. I cant see why our original Rise M10 cant have the newer battery technology applied and made available, same goes with the linkages etc. When I eventually change bikes I will look hard at this side of the support equation. sadly, orbea has been a big fail for me and with bike shops selling these models at massive discounts, the 2nd hand market is a joke.

iLuveKetchup

Dec 23, 2021
Big Apple
One thought…..with significant demand, the aftermarket will step in with solutions.
This is a low volume item that has changed parts mid cycle. So it would be even less demand (volume) for those with an '22 M10, for example.
one would think that with the significant cost to get these bikes the manufacturers would do some retro fitting of new parts (if possible) to previous models.
Why would they do this? What would be more profitable for Orbea, manufacture a retro fit part or sell you a whole new bike? It's a business, their interests are profits. Not create a retro fit only to cannibalize sales for their new shiny item.

Last edited:

Guyt

Feb 22, 2021
Québec
Thank you for your feedback guys, I may rethink the orbea and consider a bike that comes with a removable and more standard battery.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Thank you for your feedback guys, I may rethink the orbea and consider a bike that comes with a removable and more standard battery.
Are anyones batteries actually 'standard'? Specialized are specific to Spec and have changed with each model. I'm not sure many other manufacturers are any better.

Ultimately though, these batteries are just a load of standards li-ion cells in a case - they should be able to be "re-celled" if a new battery in the same case can't be purchased. Orbea aren't a small manufacturer now - they've sold a lot of these bikes and spares should be available for a good amount of time.

(that said, I've heard many stories over the years of really big manufacturers who couldn't provide spare frame parts even a year or two after sale - break a chainstay or seat stay and you write off the whole frame as the stuff is batch built in Taiwan and once the production run ends thats it)

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
They put efforts in to stop people changing out the battery cells.
They want Ebikes to be "as a service model" with no repair options outside of the manufacturer

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
There are people around who would re-cell your old batter for less than the cost of a new one, if the BMS fails you may have problems though

RedRockWest

Mar 21, 2023
UK
I would not worry too much about the batteries, for other industries/products running ahead of e-bikes, there is a healthy maintenance industry that will repair batteries - they are just a collection of standard cells, so replacement is not hard.

I would worry more about parts that will break.

After a painful experience, I am not a fan of 'easy' removable batteries and compartment doors and latches - they can quickly start to rattle and break. I would rather have my battery firmly fixed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles