Review LoamLab Counterpunch Bar Ends

LoamLab

Jun 10, 2021
Squamish
Thanks for the write up Zimmer! Even though you mounted them with the graphics upside down ;)

I'd like to note that they all come with stainless steel bolts now, so they won't rust like the ones in the picture.
As mentioned, you can get them with and without the grips, and many people use them with their own grips by trimming off the end, using open ended grips, or swapping out the outer clamp on ODI dual lock grip.

If anyone has any questions, hit me up!

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
thank you for great advice ! Just ordered them. I'd wish you reported this before i ruined my right hand on a tree :alien: Can't wait to ride with it, and save my hands ! (y)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I did have them mounted the correct way up to start with.

When I put them back on I decided it was logical to have the Slash Chain tool on the drive side, easier to remember where it is, so they went back on upside down.

I actually prefer it .. Instead of the cool Fist/Fist bump .. The hand is now presented as it would be just before the middle finger is extended ..

LoamLab

Jun 10, 2021
Squamish
thank you for great advice ! Just ordered them. I'd wish you reported this before i ruined my right hand on a tree :alien: Can't wait to ride with it, and save my hands ! (y)

Right on, thanks! Your order is on the way. I wish I came up with the idea before I broke my hand too, but nothing like a bit of suffering to get me moving on the idea :)

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
Right on, thanks! Your order is on the way. I wish I came up with the idea before I broke my hand too, but nothing like a bit of suffering to get me moving on the idea :)
Hello,

Riding instructors and mates told me the 'counterpunch' device was dangerous, because i could hang on everything on my way. It could also be dangerous for me, in case of falling. And again, they argumented about the fact that here, in "terres noires" and around, there's a lot of uncut trees, bushes, bruswoods, shrubs ... that i may hit then fall, because ot the counterpunch.
I replied them : "arent brakes, pedals, extremities of the bar etc, already dangerous in case of falling ? And what about hand protection devices, those you can mount on the bar ? Aren't they dangerous too in case of falling ?
I don't really know what i should think after this, excepted that i want to try ! :rolleyes:
:p

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Riding instructors and mates told me the 'counterpunch' device was dangerous, because i could hang on everything on my way.
Respectfully, they are wrong. The Counterpunch sticks out about as far as my fingers do so the risk of hanging up on anything is very small.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm amazed mine have never caught on anything , as I ride where there's lots of small trees coming up, brambles, bracken. But things just follow your hand around and feed off the end of the bars.

For personal injury, the bar end is a larger area than a standard bar end, so less likely to penetrate and forces are spread over a (slightly) larger area.

LoamLab

Jun 10, 2021
Squamish
Hello,

Riding instructors and mates told me the 'counterpunch' device was dangerous, because i could hang on everything on my way. It could also be dangerous for me, in case of falling. And again, they argumented about the fact that here, in "terres noires" and around, there's a lot of uncut trees, bushes, bruswoods, shrubs ... that i may hit then fall, because ot the counterpunch.
I replied them : "arent brakes, pedals, extremities of the bar etc, already dangerous in case of falling ? And what about hand protection devices, those you can mount on the bar ? Aren't they dangerous too in case of falling ?
I don't really know what i should think after this, excepted that i want to try ! :rolleyes:
:p
Hi Ton Ton,
Perhaps checking out the video of my hitting a tree will help ease your mind a little.
There's a video if you scroll down here... LoamLab Components – Counterpunch

And if you look through the gallery, you will see a photo with my hand that shows how you fill the pocket with your finger, which means only little fern leaves can get in there. Anything big and strong enough to grab has no room.

As for falling, that's a risk for you to decide, and as you pointed out there are several pointy things on a bike. But the CP faces forward, and it would take some aerobatics to get the front of it coming towards you. By no means impossible, but not overly likely. And a full sideways gut/bar hit actually provides more surface area than a standard cap.

Broken (or even really sore) pinkies are a known problem. But a bigger problem is crashing when you clip a tree and perhaps having a worse injury. We know for sure this happens. So it comes down to assessing a known risk against an unknown risk, but there are more than 2000 people riding these now and I've not had one person say they crashed due to the fault of hooking up. I think once you clip your first tree, and ride through your first bushy area, you will feel the same way about them as I do. Pushing your pinky into the pocket creates a really locked in and secure feel, with many riders saying they are like SPDs for your hands, and their top reason for running them. Ride like that and nothing of consequence is getting in there.

Cheers
Mark

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Got mine the other day.
I had to pay €13.00 import / customs.
Mounted them and they look great. I had corona last week so haven't tried them yet.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Totally enjoying mine also.
The only negative thing I can say against them, is that as they are metal, when you lean your bike against something hard like a stone wall, house wall or a car, then you have to be more careful. Plastic or rubber ends for that purpose might be good. Just an idea.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I could’ve used those pinky-blinders on this trail.
IMG_3756.jpeg

…or narrow my bar by a few mm.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles