Loading bike into the Van.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I’m looking for some ideas.
I have a weak lower back and hefting the bike into the van, rear end first, can be a bit jarring.

I’d like to connect the fork to a fork mount and then lift the rear of the bike and slide it into the Van fork first.

I have a VW T6.

Is there anything commercially available that does this?

Tone461

Nov 29, 2020
West Midlands
Not a VW expert here but I've seen a sliding drawer type setup on youtubers BCPOV and BKXC sprinter type vans? Not sure if it'll be too big for a VW

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
As above you can get pull out drawers on rollers like your desk drawers but can take up to 100kg+ however you still have to lift you bike into the drawer but with it pulled out of van is an easier angle only other option would be a ramp & go in forwards using walk mode

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I don’t really want a pull out draw.
I want the fork mount to slide from front to back of the van.
Mount to fork onto the fork mount and then left up the rear of the bike and slide it in.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A dedicated Specialized Levo loader ?

1678019240716.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Mount to fork onto the fork mount and then left up the rear of the bike and slide it in.
I think they're suggesting something "like" a draw. So if you had a full length "draw" rail/track, but only fork width wide, you could mount the fork then just slide it into the bike and lift the rear, with no twisting risk.

You could throw something together pretty easily with two Aluminium U's and some small wheels which slot in with the fork mount on.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
What you effectively want is a pull out shelf the height of the rails with the mount at the back of pull out shelf/drawer, remove wheel & fit forks to mount & raise rear wheel as push in!!
Simples

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
These are the runners then get someone to build drawer for you
AOLISHENG Heavy Duty Drawer Runners with Lock 800mm Full Extension Load Capacity 170 Kg Ball Bearing Industrial Locking Drawer Slides Side Mount 1 Pair (with Lock, 32 inch (800mm)) https://amzn.eu/d/7TwSR2v

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think the answer to your issue is technique....and its totally free!
First use a front wheel stand and remove the thru axle. Lift the bike leaving the front wheel in the stand.
Hold the bike under the down tube and under the seat stay and bend your legs. Just straighten your legs to lift. No back stress.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I would suggest a dedicated Ebike carrier that fits to the tow ball at the rear. Lifting up past anything more than this would be a right pain in the ass.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I would suggest a dedicated Ebike carrier that fits to the tow ball at the rear. Lifting up past anything more than this would be a right pain in the ass.
I’ve covered that already……..! Seriously though if you can’t get your bike into the van then you’re gunna be a danger to yourself on the trails and I would consider doing something else!

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Im quite capable of lifting the bike. But for the sake of making things as easy as possible, I think a fork mounted push the bike into the van method is far easier than hefting the rear end in first.

In reference to rehab on my back, it’s all in hand and going well with various Pilates/Yoga moves. Will progress onto strengthening when the muscles are no longer in spasm.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Leave the wheels on, get a ramp, push it into the back of the van, throw a blanket over the bike, lay it against the side of the seat or stick the front wheel in a rack, bang a ratchet strap over it, job done. This is what I do everytime I load a bike into the van, no messing around taking wheels off.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I’m still having physio for a broken knee and making things as easy as possible isn’t the way to go !

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
A ramp is the easiest solution

Any kind of pull of drawer will be the same height as the bike
You could in theory bolt a fork mount to a linear rail system, but I don't see how it would help, you'd connect the fork to it - then when sliding the bike in have to lift the back end up into the van, which is the same amount of effort as.... lifting the back end into the van

A small ramp that hooks onto a rail and allows you to just push the bike in or use the walk assist would be the better solution surely?

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil

You could in theory bolt a fork mount to a linear rail system, but I don't see how it would help, you'd connect the fork to it - then when sliding the bike in have to lift the back end up into the van, which is the same amount of effort as.... lifting the back end into the van

A small ramp that hooks onto a rail and allows you to just push the bike in or use the walk assist would be the better solution surely?

The downside on doing that is that you would have to step up into the van, lifting more weight (unless the bike is heavier than the rider) and hunching you back 😫

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
The downside on doing that is that you would have to step up into the van, lifting more weight (unless the bike is heavier than the rider) and hunching you back 😫

Yeah I have a bad back as well - 25 years of sitting at a desk
I can't think of any way that's easier really - as you say a ramp will mean you walking the bike up whilst climbing into the van and hunching over.
In a transporter you can probably walk the bike in without bending over too much though?
I don't find it too bad just lifting the back wheel into my Caddy and then the front sits on a fork mount.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

We have a couple of similar ramps we used to use to load a couple of supermotos on the back of our pickup truck (which we no longer have). We also still have a couple of Bumpstops that were bolted to the load area which held the bike front wheels, perhaps they could be used for eBikes?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles