Light weight eMtb for the wife

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Looking at getting the wife a eMtb now.
She does nothing more than very tame xc type rides, and a hardtail with 100mm fork would be just fine. Don’t even need a large battery as she don’t go far. Must however be mid drive.
What’s out there on the market ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would check out the Giant Liv sub range - as far as i know they are the only properly female specific e-mtbs, and they do a range of hardtails. Not sure of weights:

Top Performing Electric Bikes | Shop Electric Bicycles | Liv Cycling® Official UK Site - Liv Cycling | United Kingdom

MY19-Vall-E+-3_Color-A.jpg

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
My wife is the same. Hardly a mountain biker! So I thought she'd want maybe a shopping ebike with a basket on the front (she actually asked for a basket). Then I thought maybe the Moustache Xroad 3 would be a good cross-purpose bike - capable of a bit of off road riding. So she could at least ride some of the tamer trails with me.

I bought myself a Merida Eone sixty. For me there was only ever going to be an EMTB. Then when she rode mine, she loved it! So I bought one for her as well :). I look at it a bit like a Range Rover. Nice and plush on the road but also so capable off road when you need it. Weight doesn't really matter so much with an ebike - neither does pedalling a full sus bike on the road. She loves that she can ride over curbs and tackle some off road stuff as well (muddy fields etc). She also loves the dropper post as she can have the seat at whatever height she likes :) She's even hit some of the local trails with me.

So an unexpected but great outcome as we can hit the same trails together.

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
Just a note on the raven... it is fantastic but not a "beginner bike" sorry don't know your wife's skill level. It is very race oriented meaning skinny tyres and steep angles. So not much grip and twitchy compared to a more trail oriented bike. If she decides to get more adventurous it may not inspire confidence as she pushes herself. Also the motor is a lot less powerful than the others so she will need to put more effort.

For the type of riding you are describing I would not worry about weight unless you are worried about her lifting it etc. Once you are moving the motor negates the weight anyway.

If I were you I would look for a modern trail hardtail with plus tyres and more travel as it will be more confidence inspiring, more comfortable and more fun for a casual rider. I would also list weight as one of the lower priorities for a bike like this. The Vitus hardtail looks like a good bet at a good price.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Just a note on the raven... it is fantastic but not a "beginner bike" sorry don't know your wife's skill level. It is very race oriented meaning skinny tyres and steep angles. So not much grip and twitchy compared to a more trail oriented bike. If she decides to get more adventurous it may not inspire confidence as she pushes herself. Also the motor is a lot less powerful than the others so she will need to put more effort.

For the type of riding you are describing I would not worry about weight unless you are worried about her lifting it etc. Once you are moving the motor negates the weight anyway.

If I were you I would look for a modern trail hardtail with plus tyres and more travel as it will be more confidence inspiring, more comfortable and more fun for a casual rider. I would also list weight as one of the lower priorities for a bike like this. The Vitus hardtail looks like a good bet at a good price.
Yeah true, and it looks like Spesh are doing a hardtail this year after missing out last year hear. Then I can pinch the battery for mine when needed.
Winner winner chicken dinner

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
My Dad picked up his ex-hire Trek Powerfly hardtail last Autumn from Rutland Water cycles. It was <£1500 for a bike that had done only ~120 miles. I'm sure they will be moving on this years fleet too in the near future, you may want to keep a lookout there if you would rather buy from a bike shop than online.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles