Levo Gen 2 Levo won't turn on - intermittent fault

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Hi,

Has anyone had this before?

symptoms - single green flashing charge light, accompanied with bike won't turn on

this then comes and goes when it feels like it, with the bike not being touched. This AM it turned on and charged fine, this afternoon , the fault is back.
pic.JPG

LBS has replaced TCU and power cable so far.

found this elsewhere which perhaps suggests battery?
IMG_0657.JPG

do battery failures come and go?!

I've had no problems once its going, it doesn't cut out or anything.

One other curiosity is that mission control and the bike don't agree on the charge %. This AM the charger showed flashing on the 4th LED (so 75-100%), with amber light so charging. Mission control showed the charge at 100%.

I've also noticed if I charge it to fully charged, green light on the charger, that after maybe a mile or 2 of riding the battery is already down to say 94%

thanks

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
It's possibly a faulty cell. If so, the short will - depending on where the cell is located - have a varying effect on range and power & can possibly be intermittent though usually not. Can you see what the pack voltage - fully charged - is via Mission Control or BLEvo ?

Last edited:

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
seems to be 41.2V. battery was 100% in the morning, then "discharged" itself 3% by afternoon without the bike moving?!

IMG_0664.PNG

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Hmm the only thing that seams to be certain from that - after only 24 charge cycles - you're getting a new battery pack! Hope you get it soon - that's pretty certain too.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
What is the voltage sposed to be?
It's supposed to be 41.2V. I'm not sure how smart its smart bits are, specifically the Battery Management System. With a flashing LED & explanation like "OTHER POSSIBLE INTERNAL FAULT SEE RETAILER", I'm guessing not that smart. So the potential is with a short, the BMS is still allowing full charge up to 41.2V but to a smaller number of cells so that the average charge per cell in series may exceed 4.2V.
This demonstrates the usefulness of a simple cell or module level diagnostic screen.

images

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU

"battery health 100%" is slightly misleading then
In theory, if measured correctly, it should be accurate, although there are many data points which could be used to calculate an approximation of battery health – including voltage sag & imbalance, internal resistance, calendar age, cycle count etc. It could also be estimated simply by:

current pack capacity in Wh
---------------------------------------------
specified capacity in Wh

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Its currently not working again. It has a mind of its own.

Back to LBS today. I think they are replacing battery, motor, cables, and TCU. Wow!

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
update for the archives. This was found to be due to the cables near the shock being slightly out of their cable rubber carrier thing, causing undue pressure on the cable. since that was fixed its now been stable for a month.

I'd love to know why the battery showed that fault though....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles