Levo / Kenevo (gen1) Range Extender thread

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Any modification needed for the plastic housing for the harness ? very interested in getting one of these for my new kenevo . and the weight of it is perfect as i can then lose 1.4kg lol ..

was looking for a brand new 504wh for my bike but cant find one anywhere that will ship .

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Any modification needed for the plastic housing for the harness ? very interested in getting one of these for my new kenevo . and the weight of it is perfect as i can then lose 1.4kg lol ..

was looking for a brand new 504wh for my bike but cant find one anywhere that will ship .

Yes, albeit a very small mod to cut a cable sized opening in the left hand side motor cover. It’s in the bit that gets covered by the battery so hardly noticeable. You also need a different bottle holder but this comes as part of the extender kit

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Yes, albeit a very small mod to cut a cable sized opening in the left hand side motor cover. It’s in the bit that gets covered by the battery so hardly noticeable. You also need a different bottle holder but this comes as part of the extender kit
Ok thanks for this I will leave it then as not doctoring bike in case of warranty issues and will just keep looking for brand new spare battery .

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
I found someone who will make a 180w extender in this waterbottle - Flyte 550ml
Includes BMS
I've been trying to get an extender that will work with my piggyback shock
I wasn't sure it would , so i bought an empty waterbottle to try out .
Will have to play with the cage to get it dialled
It currently sits about 8mm up from the frame at the bottom of my sized medium frame and clears the piggyback by 8mm also , which is pretty perfect.
Not quite as much wattage as id like but gives a combined of 684w. (504w +180w) - about 35 % more
Im really tempted . Currently discussing with fabricator
I'll keep forum posted

1547117982437_elite-fly-bottle-550-ml-black-grey-EV337406-8570-1.jpg

20190113_112814.jpg

20190113_112748.jpg

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I found someone who will make a 180w extender in this waterbottle - Flyte 550ml
Includes BMS
I've been trying to get an extender that will work with my piggyback shock
I wasn't sure it would , so i bought an empty waterbottle to try out .
Will have to play with the cage to get it dialled
It currently sits about 8mm up from the frame at the bottom of my sized medium frame and clears the piggyback by 8mm also , which is pretty perfect.
Not quite as much wattage as id like but gives a combined of 684w. (504w +180w) - about 35 % more
Im really tempted . Currently discussing with fabricator
I'll keep forum posted

View attachment 9662

View attachment 9663

View attachment 9664

have you seen this post earlier in the thread?

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
have you seen this post earlier in the thread?
Yes thanks . Ive been in touch with Panos who was very helpful
I made a mock up to see what would work Definitely more options with an Ohlins shock . But im trying to avoid the expense of a new shock .
My Rockshox piggyback really limits what will work .
Even with the new flat top design from Danny it still wont fit .
I'll change the shock if i have to.
Exploring all options first though

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
i turned mine round and put the piggyback on the side, it was a fox van with normal mounting eyes though

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Thought bubble, how much brain/control/memory is in a Specialized battery? Looking at range extenders and thinking if it would be possible to use a different brand battery as an extender with a cable direct from the (Shimano, Bosch) battery to the motor. It would require a custom harness from backpack to motor or charger which is doable. My thinking is to use it as a commuter battery to get to/from a bike park, leave it in a locker there and use the stock battery for the days trails. All are 36v and various capacities but a lot cheaper than Specialized.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Thought bubble, how much brain/control/memory is in a Specialized battery? Looking at range extenders and thinking if it would be possible to use a different brand battery as an extender with a cable direct from the (Shimano, Bosch) battery to the motor. It would require a custom harness from backpack to motor or charger which is doable. My thinking is to use it as a commuter battery to get to/from a bike park, leave it in a locker there and use the stock battery for the days trails. All are 36v and various capacities but a lot cheaper than Specialized.

That is not doable at all as the "brain" or PC interface is entirely integrated into the stock Levo/Kenevo battery (older Levo's and all Kenevo).

Karsten

Melv

Sep 11, 2018
Bucks
Hi, Iv done it on mine, there are loads of cheap options out there, but the packs are way too big, but in a back pack no problem. You must fit a couple diodes though this stops reverse charge. I have been running a China battery for the last 3 months.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hi, Iv done it on mine, there are loads of cheap options out there, but the packs are way too big, but in a back pack no problem. You must fit a couple diodes though this stops reverse charge. I have been running a China battery for the last 3 months.

Yes that's doable but you will have to connect it in parallel with the stock Levo battery. You cannot take a non Levo battery and connect it directly to the motor as the entire control circuit is integrated into the stock battery.

Karsten

Melv

Sep 11, 2018
Bucks
Yes that's right, I run mine together makes a huge difference.
I do know the Italian guy who makes them he can set them up independently but that's over my head.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Yes that's doable but you will have to connect it in parallel with the stock Levo battery. You cannot take a non Levo battery and connect it directly to the motor as the entire control circuit is integrated into the stock battery.

Karsten
So only parallel, I wonder weather other batteries have similar controls in them which would restrict their use as a simple slave battery.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
So only parallel, I wonder weather other batteries have similar controls in them which would restrict their use as a simple slave battery.

My best guess is that you need a battery that are set up with a BMS configuration that supports the connection to another battery in parallel. I do not think that it would work with another brand battery even if it supports the same V values. Trial and error could easily end up being very expensive.

Karsten

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
as I understand it the "brain" on the 2019 models is in the tcu and the motor ,the battery apart from some simple BMC is now dumb so it may work with another battery

Ditz

Jan 26, 2019
Germany
Hi Rob,
do you know, where I can buy the Box 504 as you discribed.
"The better one is the following from a Belgian Company, run by Danny, called 'Levo Range Extenders'. Here is the information I have received:
Product Name:
Levo Range ExtenderStandard 504wh battery + THE BOX 504. 40 cells. Standard 504 battery then the Box 504 battery, total 1008wh! 100% more range! Weight 2.2KG. Price TBC. "

Alanwhittaker

May 17, 2019
Durban, south africa
Looks like an awesome product. Can't wait to test one as we have just finished the Sani2sea 3 day 260km tour here in Natal South Africa. Having only the 1 battery on the bike was seriously hard peddling at 15% most of the way only using 60% power on the stepper hills.

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
Missed this topic - really like the idea of the range extender over carrying a spare battery.

The ability to do at least 50 miles rather than 30 is what I'd like.

Any more feedback from buyers on here as to real world figures and range you have seen from the extra WH's?

On his website it seems the 2019 Levo only has the option of 252 wh not 378 like the 2018's?

Would a different bottle shape/top allow more - I'm sure Danny has looked at this of course...?

Also could not see prices on there?

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Missed this topic - really like the idea of the range extender over carrying a spare battery.

The ability to do at least 50 miles rather than 30 is what I'd like.

Any more feedback from buyers on here as to real world figures and range you have seen from the extra WH's?

On his website it seems the 2019 Levo only has the option of 252 wh not 378 like the 2018's?

Would a different bottle shape/top allow more - I'm sure Danny has looked at this of course...?

Also could not see prices on there?

Have look at this thread - same concept but better electronics and general build quality IMO. Hopefully you get all your answers there?

Eljay

Dec 2, 2018
San Francisco
I want the option to extend my range on my '19 Levo w/ 700 battery - been doing some epic all-day rides and can't get enough - I just did a ton of reading all over the interwebz including this forum and it seems like there are several options and considerations including several different range extender on the water bottle cage, or just get another battery, either another 700 or a 500

It seems like I can pick up an almost new 500 for a good price, but it sounds like they are almost as big and heavy as the 700, so maybe it's just worth it to pony up and get another 700?

The range extenders are very appealing for obvious reasons, but I run a DVO Topaz piggyback shock so I'm concerned about clearance and also concerned about putting aftermarket parts on my bike in terms of safety and warranty.

Any thoughts from those who have researched or pulled the trigger on these different options? Thanks!

Thewootts

Aug 19, 2018
united kingdom
IMG-20190823-WA0008.jpeg
its been a while. Grown up duties taking all my spare time. However tonight I finally cable tied the range extender to my bike and took it for a whirl.. nothing caught ? or exploded so I'd call that a win . It needs a few little bits to finish it off but I'm pretty happy with it. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles