Levo / Kenevo (gen1) Range Extender thread

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
So I decided to redesign the top cap. After speaking with Danny I made it shorter so it can also fit a small size Kenevo. Also got rid the USB port for two reasons. One for been completely water proof with out it and second, I don't really need it. I always carry a small power bank in my back pack. Kenevo 756wh :eek::love:
View attachment 6214 View attachment 6215 View attachment 6216 View attachment 6217
1st class work Panos
Quick query!
Do you intend to leave the harness connector outside of the motor housing ?
If so is there a waterproof blank plug for the motor end of the harness to enable battery removal for shorter rides ?
Thanks

Steady_eddy

Patreon
Apr 25, 2018
Netherlands
It didn't fit the large either so I'm getting a new cap next week!

20181012_171417.jpg

20181012_171429.jpg

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
1st class work Panos
Quick query!
Do you intend to leave the harness connector outside of the motor housing ?
If so is there a waterproof blank plug for the motor end of the harness to enable battery removal for shorter rides ?
Thanks
Thanks Stu.
Yes there is a waterproof blank plug comes in the kit. That's the reason I left the connector on the outside so I can remove the extender easily.
I'm working on a design to have the plug fixed on the cover underneath so the would be a quick connection there.
43751536_275169086453392_5061571593436659712_n.jpg

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
It didn't fit the large either so I'm getting a new cap next week!

View attachment 6223

View attachment 6224
Just to let you know the cage Danny send wont work mate. You need to get the same one as mine and clip off the tab at the bottom off the cage to allow the bottle to sit lower. The cage Danny supplies in the kit you cant cut the tag as it will fail apart due to it's design where the tab is.

Last edited:

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Just to let you know the cage Danny send wont work mate. You need to get the same one as mine and clip off the tab at the bottom off the cage to allow the bottle to sit lower. The cage Danny supplies in the kit you cant cut the tag as it will fail apart.
What cage do you recommend please ?

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
What cage do you recommend please ?
Stu I got lucky as I had one on my other bike which I removed to try and it worked well.
I use this one, Elite Custom Race, just cut the bottom tab where is marked red to let the bottle slide lower down.

43878162_292496244926736_2996967053174243328_n.jpg

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Yea, have a look on page 5 on this thread mate ;)
Stu I got lucky as I had one on my other bike which I removed to try and it worked well.
I use this one, Elite Custom Race, just cut the bottom tab where is marked red to let the bottle slide lower down.

View attachment 6228
Thanks fella
As a result of your ingenuity im just about ready to take the plunge and order an extender
Big kudos to you sir

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Thanks fella
As a result of your ingenuity im just about ready to take the plunge and order an extender
Big kudos to you sir
Ah thanks mate......I was just desperate to get it to work on my bike lol . But was nice that it did as finally all Kenevo owners that wanted one, can now have one :D

Creatorex

Sep 15, 2018
Spain
I tested today the Danny's range extender, 252wh bottle so now it's possible riding about 100kms with 2000mtrs climbing ?. Regular trainings permits you reach home with nearly half and lot or margin to play. Also USB charger on top is very useful for the mobile, I use one htc10 I have for navigation. So nice job and fantastic custom battery.
IMAG5521.jpg

Last edited:

Steady_eddy

Patreon
Apr 25, 2018
Netherlands
Would a dual bottle holder work? Wolf Tooth B-RAD Double Barrel Bottle Cage Adaptor I use it on my 2017 Levo for 2 bottles, bottles are easier to access due to not being under or close to the shock. Battery one side, water bottle the other?

That looks like it might actually work but I for one would definitely prefer the sleekness of having it in a conventional holder....

Melv

Sep 11, 2018
Bucks
Hi Guys I went a did a DIY battery pack, total cost £ 250 with 288 wh, got the battery from China, and brought a new main lead battery cable to splice into. The mAh was a bit low 2000 that's why only 288 wh for 40 batteries. I'm now thinking of building another battery myself with twice the power and looking more streamlined est cost £ 160 just need batteries and a bms. Test rode yesterday and did 27.5m for 49% used, a ride a few weeks ago was 29.5m for 86% used. My mate said just buy Danny's, I did try but long waiting list and I do get impatient and love fiddling.
levo Battery.jpg

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
I was thinking to do a DIY job my self too in the beginning. But I went for Danny's extender due to the clever trickery electronics he use's on his that shouldn't show that there was an extra battery fitted in case of a warranty claim. Also the plug and play wiring he uses means that I can put it back to standard in about 10 minutes and there is no wires to repair.
Might be saving money with the DIY route, but I be loosing if I had to claim a warranty.

Melv

Sep 11, 2018
Bucks
I was thinking to do a DIY job my self too in the beginning. But I went for Danny's extender due to the clever trickery electronics he use's on his that shouldn't show that there was an extra battery fitted in case of a warranty claim. Also the plug and play wiring he uses means that I can put it back to standard in about 10 minutes and there is no wires to repair.
Might be saving money with the DIY route, but I be loosing if I had to claim a warranty.
I can get mine back to factory spec pretty quick as I still have the factory battery cable, but no idea on the nifty electronics. I have read lots on the forum about warranty with motors and batteries with overriding the speed etc, If I remember one guy had a new motor fitted with no questions asked, suppose its all down to the LBS. Guess its fingers crossed that I have a good motor, I do ride it everyday to work to commute with a weekend blast down the trails and average 100 miles a week.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
I can get mine back to factory spec pretty quick as I still have the factory battery cable, but no idea on the nifty electronics. I have read lots on the forum about warranty with motors and batteries with overriding the speed etc, If I remember one guy had a new motor fitted with no questions asked, suppose its all down to the LBS. Guess its fingers crossed that I have a good motor, I do ride it everyday to work to commute with a weekend blast down the trails and average 100 miles a week.
Just a matter of interest mate. What is your app shows your battery Wh is now with the DIY extender?

Thewootts

Aug 19, 2018
united kingdom
Hi Guys I went a did a DIY battery pack, total cost £ 250 with 288 wh, got the battery from China, and brought a new main lead battery cable to splice into. The mAh was a bit low 2000 that's why only 288 wh for 40 batteries. I'm now thinking of building another battery myself with twice the power and looking more streamlined est cost £ 160 just need batteries and a bms. Test rode yesterday and did 27.5m for 49% used, a ride a few weeks ago was 29.5m for 86% used. My mate said just buy Danny's, I did try but long waiting list and I do get impatient and love fiddling. View attachment 6862
be careful when you order these packs from china as you experienced it was low on capacity. the cheap packs have cheap cells with wild figures attached to them. A good quality 18650 cell will weigh 45grams and have a limit on capacity... I wont bro science the numbers I cant remember them now but a quick bit of research should give you figures to expect when ordering cells.. There is a lot of fake cheap cells around now its big business.

Scratch building your own pack should be a good little project. its not very hard.

The solution being sold in this thread is nice little package the guy has done a good job...

self building one will be a significant saving tho.

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
Nice! I’m really interested in getting one for my Levo. I’ve only got the 460Wh battery and could do with the extra range. Did you get it from the Italian guy? Can I ask price and delivery/ordering details please?

+1! They do not qoute/take new orders until 1 december.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles