Levo chain guide bolt torque

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Sucker keeps loosening up and dropping onto chain causing the ticking sound, and can't find proper torque listed. Anyone know this? Thanks, Jeff

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
The 2019 Levo manual says:
1545483810573.png

1545483828145.png

So I guess it's the 5mm HEX bolt you need to torque it at 10Nm where you first need to apply blue loctite. (see note 4)

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Yeah I got the manual as well. But that list of torque values doesn't really include the chain guide torque value. 10 N meters is quite a bit. I think I will put blue Loctite and start at 5 N meters and keep going up until it stops loosening.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Holy thread resurrection .... I’ve just managed to snap mine (2019) trying to get it to 10Nm, anyone know if the nut and bolt can be bought separately?

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Yup, stripped the thread on the bolt, in my defence there is not much thread there and the flats remove half of it anyway. No replacements available in UK and Best Bike in Germany (looks like a good source of bits) out of stock. I didn't fancy running without the guide as that 1/4 turn run on could do a lot of damage if the chain falls off the inside so I:
  1. Checked the adjustment on the mounting plate to stop the guide rubbing the spider, 1/2 way up the slot in the plate.
  2. Took it all apart and cleaned it with IPA.
  3. Epoxied the bolt into the mounting plate, turned it clockwise so the shoulders touched the edge of the slot so that the glue joint wasn't taking all the torque. Left overnight.
  4. Reassembled the guide without the rear washer to see if the chain rubbed in the smallest sprocket. It didn't so I had managed to get a wee bit more thread. Took it apart again.
  5. Now the plate turns when I torque up the motor bolt and I didn't want to put any strain on the chain guide trying to hold it in place with a tool so I hand tightened it then judged how much the plate turned when torquing to 18 Nm - 1/4 turn.
  6. Loosened the motor bolt, held the plate 1/4 turn from its desired position with the inner guide in place and hand tightened the motor bolt, torqued to 18Nm and the plate turned spot on.
  7. Blue Loctite on the thread of the guide bolt, inserted the washer between the two parts of the guide and finger tightened until it just gripped.
So far so good, if it fails again I'll epoxy the whole thing together.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles