Levo: annoying noise... (SOLVED)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
FFS! Stop interpreting posts to suit your agenda. You've even posted the bit where he says;
the only difference you would see is the slight drop in pressure by reconnecting the pump
What exactly is your agenda anyway? You don't own a Levo any more?

even if they do who cares as long as its correct sag and the shock works
Exactly.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
You are right, I've checked the manual and on the RT model, there are two positions, OPEN and PEDAL, they are very similar.
Mine is the M (Red) what is the diiference?
Yes mine was M but it was too soft for my weight so i had a stiffer shim stack fitted

Cyclone

May 10, 2018
FFS! Stop interpreting posts to suit your agenda. You've even posted the bit where he says;

What exactly is your agenda anyway? You don't own a Levo any more?

Exactly.

Im a previous Specialized Levo owner looking to buy a new bike after returning it, I explained this earlier. You don't even own a Specialized Levo? :) So what is your agenda?

I'm not interpreting results in any way. I provided Information to the guy who though his rear shock was broken, I advised him that it's actually working fine, but many believe it to be working incorrectly due to lack of knowledge of the product.

I explained how it works, and the dealer specialized agreed .

I asked a current Levo owner to post a video demonstrating how / why some people "think" it doesn't work by doing the following.

1/2/3/4/5

Someone posted 0/1/1/7/9 and while that was useful and I thanked them, I explained that they didn't actually follow the instructions provided. What we were trying to present to the OP was a video demonstration that when disconnecting the pump, the shock will read 50psi (which is what his read) but this reading I see inaccurate and wrong, and the shock is likely closer to 175.

Then you came in, a non Levo owner, as usual poking shit at my posts, not reading anything, assuming I'm disagreeing with Dave, and then you misinterpret everything, attack me and go on one of your very well renound mental rants?

You are a mess bro! Get to bed!

I'm helping OP by advising that while his shock reads 50psi it's actually FINE!
It's ME saying that the shock should be judged by its SAG not its PSI when a pump is connected.
Its ME saying not to worry his shock Is fine as long as SAG is correct.
It's ME providing knowledge as a previous LEVO owner.
It's ME providing a way to recreate the issue to demonstrate practically that the pump (much like cake) is a lie.

I THANKED DAVE for the video but pointed out that HE didn't follow MY instructions correctly (politely) and therefore we were unable to demonstrate what the OP was actually experiencing on this occasion. But we can do so later.

Then you came In and went on your usual metal conspiracy rants?
You need to take time off the internet mate!

Cyclone

May 10, 2018

The tell him ROB.
He is not even a LEVO owner or previous LEVO owner, he has No experience with Levo at all.

I'm helping OP and advising him that his shock is ok (if sag is still 20/30) and to look at sag not psi.
Iam thanking Dave for helping as he posted a video following my practical reproducble instructions, but also pointing politely that he missed a step in MY instructions, so all she cool with me, dave and OP.

UNTIL ....
This well known (non Levo) guy who likes to follow me around and leave shit posts on everything I write every day even when I'm helping.

He is a nightmare and awful for this community. He argues with everyone! But he has a real boner for me ;)

Last edited:

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
@Cyclone thanks mate, you been helpful all the things you mention were right, pump pressure reads 50% but if you pump lightly goes back to 175% very quickly.
from my side, you save me the time of taking the bike to the store, I will try different settings and see how it goes.

Cyclone

May 10, 2018
@Cyclone thanks mate, you been helpful all the things you mention were right, pump pressure reads 50% but if you pump lightly goes back to 175% very quickly.
from my side, you save me the time of taking the bike to the store, I will try different settings and see how it goes.

You're very welcome, glad to have helped.
I had the same questions and experiences with mine, and it was via a visit to my dealer that it was cleared up, glad that saved you a journey, and hope that gets you back out riding a bit quicker :)

villho

May 26, 2018
Siuntio,Finland
And just realized that my shock in lock position has the same sag and behavior as in unlock :mad:, or I am doing something very wrong or specialized should have better quality control.
The lock position in these Monarch shocks does not have anything to do with the sag. The lock position just closes (slow-speed) damping enough so that the bike is better to pedal (i.e. not that much pedal bob). If a bike is static with a rider on it, the damping can be anything, but the sag will settle only according to either spring weight+preload (coil shocks) OR air spring pressure (air shocks). Shocks or forks with full lockout for damping is a different story, but Monarch shock is not one of them.

It needs to be mentioned though that as air shocks have quite a lot of stiction in them (due to tight tolerances in their seals, which need to hold hundreds of psis), before measuring the sag, it would be good to bounce the bike up and down a couple of times, before taking the measurement.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I found the cause of a really annoying rattle-noise on my 2018 Levo . . . it took me a few weeks to pick it up, I had initally thought it was the headset, and I fully dismantled and re-greased and re-checked everything, but the noise persisted.

Turns out, it was the FUCKING MULTI-TOOL RATTLING IN THE LITTLE MULTI-TOOL CAGE UNDER THE BOTTLE CAGE. My god, it was so damned satisfying to discover this.

If you have an annoying noise, try taking out the multi-tool and going for another ride.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
PS > Rob, I have heard the same rattle on some of your videos. I am guessing you have the multi-tool in your bike still??? Put it in your pocket ;)

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
I found the cause of a really annoying rattle-noise on my 2018 Levo . . . it took me a few weeks to pick it up, I had initally thought it was the headset, and I fully dismantled and re-greased and re-checked everything, but the noise persisted.

Turns out, it was the FUCKING MULTI-TOOL RATTLING IN THE LITTLE MULTI-TOOL CAGE UNDER THE BOTTLE CAGE. My god, it was so damned satisfying to discover this.

If you have an annoying noise, try taking out the multi-tool and going for another ride.
You know what, that is probably SPOT ON... it already crossed my mind by the type of sound that it is, the only differnce is that my multi-tool cage is in the top part of the frame and not bellow the water bottle
will take it out on my next ride... I'm sure that will work, THANKS @Tori

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa

@Tori unfortunately wasn't the multi-tool causing the noise, I think is a loose cable in the frame that with huge vibration hit the carbon... will be trying tomorrow!

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
Looks like I found the issue and solved it, was not the multi-tool, there was the dropper post cable loose inside the frame (but I don't think this was the reason), somehow the battery screw was slightly loose :oops: , as always one needs to check the basics!!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles