Levo 2019 34T Chainring.. anyone fitted?

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
My son bought me Hope 34T Chainring for Christmas but before Christmas I didn't check and assumed the stock chainring was just a 30T as it was on the 2018 Levo, so I'd only requested a 34T, had I realised it was already a 32T, I would of probably asked for a 36T.

Anyway....the shop fitted it today whilst doing a fix on the electrics (bike died on last ride) and I don't have a puller to remove the stock chainring. When I collected the bike and took it back to my van I noticed a rubbing noise, and thought oh that is probably the Chain guide, I didn't want to bother the shop again so I thought I'd adjust it when I got home... Only trouble is the doesn't seem to be enough adjustment to clear the chainring. I slide the guide up as far as it will go and then swung it round on the frame bracket a little as well, but what ever I try it's still rubs and is noisy. Has anyone else had this issue on the 2019? I'm shocked that just going up in size by 2T the guide doesn't seem to be able to cater for it.

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
My son bought me Hope 34T Chainring for Christmas but before Christmas I didn't check and assumed the stock chainring was just a 30T as it was on the 2018 Levo, so I'd only requested a 34T, had I realised it was already a 32T, I would of probably asked for a 36T.

Anyway....the shop fitted it today whilst doing a fix on the electrics (bike died on last ride) and I don't have a puller to remove the stock chainring. When I collected the bike and took it back to my van I noticed a rubbing noise, and thought oh that is probably the Chain guide, I didn't want to bother the shop again so I thought I'd adjust it when I got home... Only trouble is the doesn't seem to be enough adjustment to clear the chainring. I slide the guide up as far as it will go and then swung it round on the frame bracket a little as well, but what ever I try it's still rubs and is noisy. Has anyone else had this issue on the 2019? I'm shocked that just going up in size by 2T the guide doesn't seem to be able to cater for it.
I had a 36T chainring fitted by Berkshire Cycles who did state that they have to make a slight adjustment to the chain guard to get it it fit. They just drilled the hole out slightly so that it rotates freely. Didn't sound to difficult so I'm pretty sure it's easy enough to manipulate at home to get it to move.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
I've got a Hope 36T on my 2018 Levo - so not directly related to your query BUT, same as @lenny74 Berkshire Cycles modified the chain guard just a tad :)

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
I've got a Hope 36T on my 2018 Levo - so not directly related to your query BUT, same as @lenny74 Berkshire Cycles modified the chain guard just a tad :)

I had a 34T fitted to the 2018 and I that didn't need to be modified. That was a 4T jump in size.
I'm surprised that the 2019 won't accept a 34T (2T jump) without needing mods, they made the Chainguide with adjustment but only for accepting a 30T or 32T it would seem. Crazy!

Adjustment from 30T to 36T should of been the normal acceptable and expectable range I would of thought by the design team.

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
I’ve got a 36 and it rides great now. Just adjusted the guide

Jezzer, are you saying on your 2019 Levo (Carbon or Alloy?) you managed to fit a 36T without any mods to the Chainguide? My levo is the Expert and so Carbon. I wonder it the bolt hole for the Chainguide is in a slightly different position on the Carbon to the Alloy frame ?:unsure:

Jezzer

Oct 25, 2018
Hampshire
Hi Neil, I filed it around and intend to take it off completely but I may look at Lenny’s to see the mod Chris did. I think they are in the same position FYI

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Hi Neil, I filed it around and intend to take it off completely but I may look at Lenny’s to see the mod Chris did. I think they are in the same position FYI

Oh ok so you did actually modify it to fit the 36T..

It wouldn't of taken the design team much effort to add a little more adjustability within the guide itself and it is still something that they could address by redesigning the guide slightly over the next year.
Please take note here "Specialized" :) Thank you.

Last edited:

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley

Although I have the 2018 levo, it still needed modifying for the 36t.

When I get home I'll upload a snap for you to look at if @lenny74 doesn't get it before me.

:)

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
Ok, let me just clarify here before people start drilling holes in carbon frames!! this was a very small adjustment made to the chain guide itself, nothing major and my understanding is that was to allow the guide to move more freely to allow a better fit.

Simple answer is, drop it back in to the guys at Berks Cycles and they will adjust accordingly. Mine runs perfectly and I didn't really consider it as anything out of the ordinary.

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Ok, let me just clarify here before people start drilling holes in carbon frames!! this was a very small adjustment made to the chain guide itself, nothing major and my understanding is that was to allow the guide to move more freely to allow a better fit.

Simple answer is, drop it back in to the guys at Berks Cycles and they will adjust accordingly. Mine runs perfectly and I didn't really consider it as anything out of the ordinary.

I wasn't even considering touching the frame, it's the guide that needs the modifying. The bolt in to the frame is a fixed a point and cannot be moved in any way. I will have no problem modifying the guide myself when I have a proper look shortly.
But bottom line is... it should have enough adjustment built into the guide to it doesn't need to me drilled or filed out! I've only gone up 2T in size to a 34T!

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
I wasn't even considering touching the frame, it's the guide that needs the modifying. The bolt in to the frame is a fixed a point and cannot be moved in any way. I will have no problem modifying the guide myself when I have a proper look shortly.
But bottom line is... it should have enough adjustment built into the guide to it doesn't need to me drilled or filed out!
Ha, don't worry neils, I was only joking about the frame drilling ;) point being this is only a very slight adjustment required to allow a bit more clearance.

I have taken a look at mine but I can't even tell what they have done, its that minor, although it does look like plenty of clearance which would allow for at least a 38T with no further adjustment.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
On mine, the fixing point has been drilled a bit bigger so you can move the guide up a tad. The guide is also filed internally.
As I say, I'll take a pic later and post anyway :)

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
This is my 38T set up. I just put the chain guard in this position.
20190104_123157.jpg

It will still do the job if necessary. But you are probably over complicating things. Chain won't drop just like that, especially on narrow wide chainring.

Last edited:

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
This is my 38T set up. I just put the chain guard in this position.
View attachment 9336
It will still do the job if necessary. But you are probably over complicating things. Chain won't drop just like that, especially on narrow wide chainring.

You right with what you say about the thick thin chain rings, I don't think I've ever had the chain jump off on my Enduro (drive train XX1). But for the chain guide to work effectively it does need to be further back than you show on your Levo and start guiding the chain before it runs onto the top of the chain ring.

I have now finished the mods to my Levo 2019 Chain guide. It needed about 4mm of lift which can't be done just by filing the square headed bolt (one side only) and slot in the alloy back plate, doing this will only give approx 2mm lift max. If you want the Chain guide to run in its correct position its better to also file the inside under side of the plastic. Set the Chain guide up on the bike so that the plastic outer plate bottom edge, which has an internal radius, so that it matches the radius of the Chain ring as near as possible. Ride the bike for a minute or two in first gear (largest sprocket at the back). Remove the Chainguide again and examine the inside under side of the plastic guide where the chain runs through. You should see witness marks left by the chain rubbing against this inside under side. Clamp the Chain guide upside down in a vice with soft jaws. Use a 5mm wide smooth cut engineers file to slowly work away the witness marks on the plastic, use a rocking motion with the file to get a slightly round finish to the area your working on. You may need to do this process two or three times until you finally get no witness marks and rubbing from the chain whilst in first gear.

IMG_3415.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles