Jeb

Jul 17, 2019
Colorado
These boards are great!
5AB69785-0DB5-4645-8053-2EBCEBF274C0.jpeg

Churchill

Jul 15, 2018
Idaho
Ha ha, great photos. My derailleur ices over like that every time. I think I am going to try hosing the gears down with mold release to see if that helps.

Capture.JPG

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
that chainlink looks like it I the wrong way around....
Please kindly elaborate. I too get confused with the orientation because even if you flip that link so that the slotted hole is behind, the one on the opposite side still ends up at the front of the chain’s direction of travel.

Unless of course the orientation has something to do with which side of the chain link is facing the cassette upon that would be ‘ramping-up’ onto the next larger cogs.

That being the case I would’ve thought the way it shows on the picture would be the correct way?

So confusing for me... :oops:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Please kindly elaborate. I too get confused with the orientation because even if you flip that link so that the slotted hole is behind, the one on the opposite side still ends up at the front of the chain’s direction of travel.

Unless of course the orientation has something to do with which side of the chain link is facing the cassette upon that would be ‘ramping-up’ onto the next larger cogs.

That being the case I would’ve thought the way it shows on the picture would be the correct way?

Arrow showing the way to lock link in place nothing to do with wheel direction , merry Xmas

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

In my head, maybe I over simplified it when I saw it... but if the arrow is supposed to point in the direction of chain travel, then it should be pointing up ? The chain travels up through the derailleur to the cassette ? - in the northern hemisphere anyway :)

Though there is the old timers snow trick of running your chain the wrong way round to create more friction and help with de-icing .... (made that up) ...

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
In my head, maybe I over simplified it when I saw it... but if the arrow is supposed to point in the direction of chain travel, then it should be pointing up ? The chain travels up through the derailleur to the cassette ? - in the northern hemisphere anyway :)

Though there is the old timers snow trick of running your chain the wrong way round to create more friction and help with de-icing .... (made that up) ...
I'm an old grumpy so and so , if it goes on the wrong way it usually takes me a few days mm or is it weeks to see it but probably feel it before i actually see it especially in the dark cold winter then it's too cold to sort ah roll on spring.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Arrow showing the way to lock link in place nothing to do with wheel direction , merry Xmas
Thank you for the very kind Christmas spirit in your reply, and blessings to you too in this holiday season.

My KMC quick links don't have arrows and I've seen them installed both ways in the past. Now that I have been made aware that some links I've never used before do have arrows, I shall presume that the arrow only pertains to how it's viewed from the right side of the bike... because the arrow points the other way when viewed from the left side of the bike. Good to learn something new every day. I shall do the same with my KMC links from now on.

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town

"The open end should face backward relative to the direction of the chain. IOTW, when the master link is above the swingarm between the front and rear sprockets, the open end should be to the rear adn the closed end toward the front"

The arrow should point in the direction of force ... so when above the chain stay it should point forwards in the direction the bike travels, it was designed to take the most tension that way.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Car v ebike in snow

In an ordinary car on an ordinary road, let’s assume it’s snowing to the point where the snow has just reached that depth where you can’t really use your car to get from A to B anymore. You then take your ebike out of the boot. How much better will the ebike be at that point to complete the journey?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
In an ordinary car on an ordinary road,

Ah .. but what is ordinary ?? 4x4, light, heavy, wide tyres, thin tyres, winter tyres ... :)

And what kind of snow ! Hard, soft, fluffy, slushy ? Icy ? Dry ?

In the UK the "snow type" can be quite debilitating to "ordinary" vehicles , even if there's only a sprinkling. So I'd imagine you'd make much better progress on your bike, but expect a considerably reduced range and make sure you've got warm/waterproof gear as UK snow is normally cold, wet and sucky compared to everyone elses nice dry fluffy fun stuff. And leave the bees at home.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Naaa, I think the main problem is that the English just can't drive in snow!!
Even the underground (tube) drivers can't drive in snow. When I was in london, only 5 snowflakes needed to hit the ground, and the whole of London (Including the underground) would come to a standstill. I used to go everywhere on my mountainbike, and loved overtaking thousands of jammed up cars.
Here in central Europe there is a winter tyre rule. Everyone has to have winter or allweather tyres in winter, therefore the cars can usually go quite a long way in snow. BUT what Zimmerframe sais is true, the type of snow plays a role, but I think mostly if a car can't get through (With winter tyres) then an e-bike would also have problems.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles