Review Leatt 3DF Impact Shorts 5.0

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Because I'm crap and I'm trying to compress a lifetimes learning and experience into a tiny time frame ...

No. I probably wear more armour than anyone else on here.

Yes. Normally a human shaped tape outline on the ground, or more stylishly wrapped around a tree or a rocky outcrop.

I like to think I'm not sexist, racist or dayist. Everyday gets an equal chance of a crash experience.

A few have maybe considered it, but realised it's not necessary.

It has been. It's quantum mechanics. All over the world, people "almost crash" .. that energy has to go somewhere. At the moment most of it gets diverted to me.

High Rock Ruti

Careful Now?
20200610_102939.jpg

Hello Zim

Only you and I could brag about who wears the most armor! By the way the forcefield adventure vest is really comfortable and cool and protects like nothing I've ever worn. Just bought the Forcefield shorts $190 USD they have one huge advantage that the armor covers both ass checks, in the last two years I've fallen directly on both sides of the buttocks huge painful bruises, it's like wearing a dinner plate in the back of your shorts....?

Warm Regards

Ruti

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Uhmmm .. well, it's taken a week for the bruising to come out and it's still appearing. The pad areas are inflamed, but the bruising seems to surround the pad areas - so the crappy foam must have done something....

leg.jpg

I can't find anything with better coverage anyway, so looks like I'm sticking with the 5.0's.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
ouch!!...........think you will find that high impact foam like D30 is only used where it sits against a more solid backing...e.g bone rather than soft tissue, because otherwise it does not work. So a softer foam is used for the thigh whereas d30 is used on the hip.

AP123

Jul 31, 2020
Los Angeles
Great review. I finally picked up a pair of the Leatt 3DF Impact Shorts 5.0.

With just under 1,700 bike miles under my belt for the year, I'm not sure how you guys do it without padding down under.

I'm wondering if I should return them for the 4.0.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
With just under 1,700 bike miles under my belt for the year, I'm not sure how you guys do it without padding down under.

I'm wondering if I should return them for the 4.0.
I guess we're all different. Not sure if you just get used to it, our bodies react differently, saddle shapes/sizes, types of riding (if I'm having a more sitting down ride than normal, I do sometimes crave some more comfort down there).

There's a shorter thread on the 4.0's too :

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
High Rock Ruti

Careful Now? View attachment 65019

Hello Zim

Only you and I could brag about who wears the most armor! By the way the forcefield adventure vest is really comfortable and cool and protects like nothing I've ever worn. Just bought the Forcefield shorts $190 USD they have one huge advantage that the armor covers both ass checks, in the last two years I've fallen directly on both sides of the buttocks huge painful bruises, it's like wearing a dinner plate in the back of your shorts....?

Warm Regards

Ruti

Digging up an old thread here but when i first got into biking a couple of years ago i was persuaded to go with much more experienced friends to antur stiniog. For a beginner it was intimidating and I decided to get the forcefield kit mr. Ruti is wearing.

Amazing protection, i've had some falls when wearing it and what would have been no doubt nasty injuries I've just bounced and been able to get back up from. The back protector is huge, both in terms of width and top to bottom coverage. Great when you go over the bars and land on your back!
Only downside I find it very hot to wear, I only wear it when going on uplift days.
I've got the under shorts as well which are CE rated although i don't find the coverage is anywhere near what the top gives you.

Ruti - Do you wear it on every ride? I'm looking for suitable armour i can wear when doing stuff less extreme that involves pedalling.

The POC VPD 2.0 downhill knee & elbow pads are also worthy of a mention, they've also took some hits and I haven't felt a thing.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Digging up an old thread here but when i first got into biking a couple of years ago i was persuaded to go with much more experienced friends to antur stiniog. For a beginner it was intimidating and I decided to get the forcefield kit mr. Ruti is wearing.

Amazing protection, i've had some falls when wearing it and what would have been no doubt nasty injuries I've just bounced and been able to get back up from. The back protector is huge, both in terms of width and top to bottom coverage. Great when you go over the bars and land on your back!
Only downside I find it very hot to wear, I only wear it when going on uplift days.
I've got the under shorts as well which are CE rated although i don't find the coverage is anywhere near what the top gives you.

Ruti - Do you wear it on every ride? I'm looking for suitable armour i can wear when doing stuff less extreme that involves pedalling.

The POC VPD 2.0 downhill knee & elbow pads are also worthy of a mention, they've also took some hits and I haven't felt a thing.

High Rock Ruti

Hey Bummer great screen name.

I wear my old POC full hardshell ankle to over top of knee every ride, without exception. If it's trail riding I'll wear a hydration pack every time, I've gone over the bars also looped out backwards landing on the pack several times. Full face every time don't even have shorty helmet anymore.

I use the forcefield upper when I'm riding rocky tech where the consequences are significant. Hardshell works so incredibly we'll, really hard impacts with ground, rock and tree's. I impacted hard enough to scrape the skin off my knees, elbows and shoulders under the armor, but no injuries so far.

I used the POC VPD shirt for a couple of years but no comparison to the forcefield for protection and it's seriously hot to boot.

So finally heat yes it's hot, anything over 80F. Last summer I was riding a particularly treacherous trail called Tom and Bruce's in Gloucester Massachusetts, didn't crash but bonked with heat stroke probably should have dressed lighter and taken the chance on crashing.

In case you don't recognize the sound of insanity, that's what it sounds like, or perhaps I could've taken a day off?

NFW

Warm Regards Ruti

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
High Rock Ruti

Hey Bummer great screen name.

I wear my old POC full hardshell ankle to over top of knee every ride, without exception. If it's trail riding I'll wear a hydration pack every time, I've gone over the bars also looped out backwards landing on the pack several times. Full face every time don't even have shorty helmet anymore.

I use the forcefield upper when I'm riding rocky tech where the consequences are significant. Hardshell works so incredibly we'll, really hard impacts with ground, rock and tree's. I impacted hard enough to scrape the skin off my knees, elbows and shoulders under the armor, but no injuries so far.

I used the POC VPD shirt for a couple of years but no comparison to the forcefield for protection and it's seriously hot to boot.

So finally heat yes it's hot, anything over 80F. Last summer I was riding a particularly treacherous trail called Tom and Bruce's in Gloucester Massachusetts, didn't crash but bonked with heat stroke probably should have dressed lighter and taken the chance on crashing.

In case you don't recognize the sound of insanity, that's what it sounds like, or perhaps I could've taken a day off?

NFW

Warm Regards Ruti

Sounds like some awesome rides!

So you don't tend to bother with upper protection (except helmet) when doing less severe stuff? I'm trying to decide if it's worth wearing upper body armour on every ride or just stick with helmet/elbow/knee stuff.

A friend has a nasty off on a small jump on a smooth trail, it's trying to decide is it worth always wearing a suit of armour or not...

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There is no perfect answer to armour. For the gnarliest trails I wear A Leatt top and short and that is the most protective armour I have. It is not particularly hot but it is pretty heavy. For XC type rides I use just a Leatt Roost vest.........supplemented with a POC back protector if that involves some good descents. The Roost vest has chest and shoulder protection.
For in between those extremes I use a EVOC armour top. It has pretty comprehensive protection but is half the weight of the full Leatt top.

Sods law says you can still get hurt regardless what you wear. I have just recovered from broken ribs after hitting a tree but the impact was on my side and most armour leaves the sides of the torso fairly exposed.

brentonb

May 12, 2022
Aus
My Son and I used our 5.0 for the first time this weekend, despite not testing them properly we both had small wash outs. I popped up easily and my son had a small bruise on his leg about 1cm from where the padding was. So I am assuming a good result. I didn't even notice they were on but it was very cold weather

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
There is no perfect answer to armour. For the gnarliest trails I wear A Leatt top and short and that is the most protective armour I have. It is not particularly hot but it is pretty heavy. For XC type rides I use just a Leatt Roost vest.........supplemented with a POC back protector if that involves some good descents. The Roost vest has chest and shoulder protection.
For in between those extremes I use a EVOC armour top. It has pretty comprehensive protection but is half the weight of the full Leatt top.

Sods law says you can still get hurt regardless what you wear. I have just recovered from broken ribs after hitting a tree but the impact was on my side and most armour leaves the sides of the torso fairly exposed.
High Rock Ruti

If the force of the impact is high enough our ribs will break even if the impact is directly on the armor...I wish that understanding was theoretical and not actual, and I still wear it when the riding calls for it. So many hard falls and no injuries, sometimes armor works miraculously.

Warm Regards Ruti

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Just bought these Bliss shorts on a whim as they’re currently on offer at half price with free delivery

No idea what they’ll be like, only EVA foam pads, but better than nothing which is what I currently wear

Posting in this thread as it’s the first ‘impact shorts’ thread I found!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Just bought these Bliss shorts on a whim as they’re currently on offer at half price with free delivery

No idea what they’ll be like, only EVA foam pads, but better than nothing which is what I currently wear

Posting in this thread as it’s the first ‘impact shorts’ thread I found!
Well... if you have ever taken a hard hit on your hip, any padding is better than nothing! I have been wearing these Amazon specials for many years when I ride Whistler. Plenty of well EVA foam for overal protection. Hot days are only a little hotter but I am not pedalling when I wear these.
pshorts.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles