Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Product Image:
shorts.jpg

Product name: Leatt 3DF Impact Shorts 5.0
Price paid: €120
Score (out of 10): 8

Review: After numerous falls, I always ride in my cheapo amazon/chinesium armoured under shorts which are styled to match the Fox Titan range and have matching hard plastic thigh armour.

You can't really wear the fox copies without underwear as they're not overly comfortable ....

The hip armour on the fox copies is lacking and only consists of foam pads, however the coccyx armour is another hard plastic plate running horizontally giving excellent protection.

What I really want is those, but WITH hip protection. For some reason 99% of armoured shorts are one or the other.

Reading the specification, I went for the 5.0 leatts.

What are they like ?

Well, comfort 10/10. Fit is excellent and they're well vented.

There's no chamois, so if you prefer one, they're not for you. Personally, I find drying the car off with it afterwards just seems wrong.

Protection : The reactive hip armour feels firm and supportive and gives a good area of protection. It's downhill from there though. The thigh protection is sadly just a cheap low density eva type pad. Yes, it's better than nothing, but if I said "hey, run at that pile of pointy rocks over there and dive on it" , you'd be mad to think that sticking a few mm of soft foam - which is probably the same as used to make a camera strap a bit more comfortable - is really going to make any difference. The coccyx support is similar, but worse. This is the same soft foam and is about the size of your average computer mouse. It's almost like it's just a way to have a nice embossed logo rather than protection.

Additionally, there are two soft foam pads which stick up above the waist. These are a nice addition, but once again, would be a more use if they were at least double density foam. As it is they're more of a style add on, like batmans ears, rather than offering any additional protection - though they would protect you from a bramble or a nettle to that section of the waist.

Edited to upgrade rating from 6-8 as they've actually performed far better than expected in accidents.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have the 3df impact 4. They include a chamois and have no cocynx pad....which I see no need for. As with virtually all impact shorts they are primarilly for hip protection and the Leatt is EN1621 Level 1 approved. I use Leatt airlight top and Leatt knee pads. All the padding on Leatt gear is 3df impact eva and laminated to meet CE standards of protection depending on the body area. The thicker laminates are reserved for bone structures/critical areas. On soft tissue areas a thinner laminate is used. All Leatt protective wear is mainly designed for MX rather than bike.
I can testify to its comfort and protection having crash tested it including a fall on a rock garden that was severe enough to write off my helmet.
Bike shop prices for Leatt are a rip off. MX suppliers have much lower prices. I found the 5 online here in the UK for £73. (Motocard)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Finally got a ride in with these on. It's about 33c today so fairly toasty.

Wearing these and shorts, without underwear, rather than my other armoured under shorts which you have to wear with underwear, was noticeably cooler ! Much Much cooler !! Two layers, instead of three.

They're comfortable and without some of the extra pads of my cheapo armour around your bottom, felt like you were just sitting naked on the saddle - which interestingly was considerably more comfortable, even with my skinny arse.

Though with no protection at all round the rear,except the tiny coccyx pad I can be expecting some nasty bruising/permanent disability on my next off.

It's interesting that Mike thinks you don't need protection there. The lower back/coccyx area on my titan is the most damaged area of that armour from dozens of rock strikes (which I do only for testing purposes ....... o_O) Sadly the photo doesn't really show the extent of the gouging/wearing/denting - though one section is clearly missing now ! The chipped rivets at least gives some photo indication of impacts to that area.

titan.jpg

The problem is that most armoured jackets over the last couple of years have moved to be "stylishly" cut and have short backs, including the revised Titan. You only need to read MTB or MX forums to see how many accidents lead to really nasty lower back impact damage.

The manufacturers response to this is that the lower back should be protected by armour provided in the shorts. Though none of them make shorts with armour in that area. :unsure: :(

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Im thinking you maybe need to focus on why you seem to have so many accidents! Do you lack a sense of self preservation? Is there a pattern? Do you only crash on fridays? Are people purposely setting boobytraps on your home trails? It needs some careful analsis...video replays etc.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
ZF, thanks for sharing the intel.

What is your opinion on equipment protecting the ribs? I did a cartwheel over the handle-bars few weeks ago and I am healing slowly.

I have a air-flow motorcycle jacket, which gives me good shoulders, elbows and back protection, but ribs are exposed.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What is your opinion on equipment protecting the ribs? I did a cartwheel over the handle-bars few weeks ago and I am healing slowly.

Tricky !

If you're already amoured up with what you have you don't want to get too cumbersome/restricted/heavy/hot.

I'm waiting for an Alpinestars paragon pro vest to arrive. I hope to wear this as a base layer under a TLD7855 to give better rib protection and back protection. It has a removable kidney belt if you're wearing other things. You need to wear a base layer anyway with a 7855 or it chafes your nipples (or tape them). The difference between the paragon and the paragon pro is the chest protector.

I bought mine from amazon, but found it cheaper here afterwards :

Can't tell you what it's like in real life yet though .. maybe tomorrow.

I did find a few "chest only" protectors when I was searching, but I can't find them now.

All the armours seem to either be :

Simple EVA foam - light, not very effective generally.
Layers of different density foams - slightly heavier but good protection
Reactive Foam - heavier, less air flow, chemically unstable (unpredictable life span) - but effective (when it works) and generally quite flexible.
Hard armour - effective, can be less comfortable and more restrictive.
Hard armour with a cell structure - very effective, can be more restrictive.

I should do an armour thread really ... or another one .. :) ...

Similar to the alpinestars one are the fox baseframes. The rear armour is smaller, but removable.

For better protection you're onto the alpinestars bionics or A1, A1 Plus (this years) A4 longer back, A4 Max (this years), and similar with the fox Roost guards and so on.

For slightly more protection in the vest format, the nicest one is probably the sweet protection enduro vest.

Quite hard to find. Much higher level of protection but a bit bulkier. Let down slightly with a central zip which lessens the effectiveness of the chest protection, but tough enough that it probably makes up for it .. still haven't decided if I should buy one of these or not. Really like it, but concerned that using it as a base layer it might be too warm.

Also, just incase what you wearing let you attach chest/rib protection, something from here might do it ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
focus on why you seem to have so many accidents!
Because I'm crap and I'm trying to compress a lifetimes learning and experience into a tiny time frame ...

Do you lack a sense of self preservation?

No. I probably wear more armour than anyone else on here.

Is there a pattern?

Yes. Normally a human shaped tape outline on the ground, or more stylishly wrapped around a tree or a rocky outcrop.

Do you only crash on fridays?

I like to think I'm not sexist, racist or dayist. Everyday gets an equal chance of a crash experience.

Are people purposely setting boobytraps on your home trails?

A few have maybe considered it, but realised it's not necessary.

It needs some careful analsis.

It has been. It's quantum mechanics. All over the world, people "almost crash" .. that energy has to go somewhere. At the moment most of it gets diverted to me.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Because I'm crap and I'm trying to compress a lifetimes learning and experience into a tiny time frame ...

Yes. Normally a human shaped tape outline on the ground, or more stylishly wrapped around a tree or a rocky outcrop.

I like to think I'm not sexist, racist or dayist. Everyday gets an equal chance of a crash experience.

It has been. It's quantum mechanics. All over the world, people "almost crash" .. that energy has to go somewhere. At the moment most of it gets diverted to me.
Ok lets try some psychology
1. You expect to crash so you wear a lot of armour because then you are safe....except any armour is only ever going to help dissapate minor impacts...none of it will prevent injury if the crash is hard enough.
2. You seem to accept it as inevitable....expect to crash ...invites a crash
3. Your focus is on protection rather than prevention....change focus. The retail therapy aspect is maybe not as good but hey!

Then there are other things to think about.
What causes a crash? Bike not as capable as you expect? Wrong tyres? Wrong pressures? Bike suspension set up?

Then of course there is talent v trail! Maybe do some sessioning rather than long rides. Maybe get some coaching?
There has to be an answer...not sure your local health services can cope with a one man epidemic!!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ok lets try some psychology
1. You expect to crash so you wear a lot of armour because then you are safe....except any armour is only ever going to help dissapate minor impacts...none of it will prevent injury if the crash is hard enough.
2. You seem to accept it as inevitable....expect to crash ...invites a crash
3. Your focus is on protection rather than prevention....change focus. The retail therapy aspect is maybe not as good but hey!

Then there are other things to think about.
What causes a crash? Bike not as capable as you expect? Wrong tyres? Wrong pressures? Bike suspension set up?

Then of course there is talent v trail! Maybe do some sessioning rather than long rides. Maybe get some coaching?
There has to be an answer...not sure your local health services can cope with a one man epidemic!!
Oh....and you are fatalistic!

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Tricky !

If you're already amoured up with what you have you don't want to get too cumbersome/restricted/heavy/hot.

I'm waiting for an Alpinestars paragon pro vest to arrive. I hope to wear this as a base layer under a TLD7855 to give better rib protection and back protection. It has a removable kidney belt if you're wearing other things. You need to wear a base layer anyway with a 7855 or it chafes your nipples (or tape them). The difference between the paragon and the paragon pro is the chest protector.

I bought mine from amazon, but found it cheaper here afterwards :

Can't tell you what it's like in real life yet though .. maybe tomorrow.

I did find a few "chest only" protectors when I was searching, but I can't find them now.

All the armours seem to either be :

Simple EVA foam - light, not very effective generally.
Layers of different density foams - slightly heavier but good protection
Reactive Foam - heavier, less air flow, chemically unstable (unpredictable life span) - but effective (when it works) and generally quite flexible.
Hard armour - effective, can be less comfortable and more restrictive.
Hard armour with a cell structure - very effective, can be more restrictive.

I should do an armour thread really ... or another one .. :) ...

Similar to the alpinestars one are the fox baseframes. The rear armour is smaller, but removable.

For better protection you're onto the alpinestars bionics or A1, A1 Plus (this years) A4 longer back, A4 Max (this years), and similar with the fox Roost guards and so on.

For slightly more protection in the vest format, the nicest one is probably the sweet protection enduro vest.

Quite hard to find. Much higher level of protection but a bit bulkier. Let down slightly with a central zip which lessens the effectiveness of the chest protection, but tough enough that it probably makes up for it .. still haven't decided if I should buy one of these or not. Really like it, but concerned that using it as a base layer it might be too warm.

Also, just incase what you wearing let you attach chest/rib protection, something from here might do it ?

Good intel ZF... I need to digest and decide.
I am also considering some lightweight elbow and knee protectors and use them more tactically.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Good intel ZF... I need to digest and decide.
I am also considering some lightweight elbow and knee protectors and use them more tactically.
Yes .. Sorry .. probably threw too much there :)

I tried a few different knees but settled on the Sam Hill's . Compression fit, so no straps. Comfortable. Not too hot. They're just a piece of flexible plastic with some extra foam bits round the sides, but so far I've found them very effective. Take a couple of minutes to warm up and settle - or they used to, now they must have bent to my shape and I don't notice them from the moment I put them on. Even walk the dog with them on afterwards sometimes.

There's loads of types/weights/fitment types/armour types out there and everything will suit different people.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I had Gform sleeve type knee pads but my legs must have got thicker because they started to feel too tight...and I got thoroughly hacked off with having to take shoes and socks off to put them on or take off. I use Leatt 3DF zip up kneed pads now. Super comfortable and not too hot. Somewhat bulkier than the G Forms but a lot more protection.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Road traffic analysts have discovered that if they make the road look more dangerous, the drivers slow down! This was far more effective than lots of speed signs and other top down devices.

Maybe if Zimmer removed some of his armour he may naturally slow down enough to enjoy the ride without painful crashes.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Maybe if Zimmer removed some of his armour he may naturally slow down enough to enjoy the ride without painful crashes.
Na. Tried this a few times .. I go faster. Slightly lighter, slightly freer moving, slightly cooler .. it all adds up to performance advantages. No armour gives me at least 5 seconds on a climb and a minimum 2 seconds on a descent. As much as I like to (try to) go fast, I know I'm not good enough to do that consistently without eventually having an off. As I've reached an age where things seem to break more easily (or I've taken up a sport which puts you constantly in the proximity of rocks and trees at damage inflicting speeds) it's insane not to wear as much armour as I can. Each "Injury causing off" merits a full analysis of what happened and what protection could be better without being hotter/more restrictive.

I'm thinking of developing my own line of Zimmer Beer Armour. The armour sections are all interlinked and filled with beer. This is cooled before a ride and keeps the riders temperature down. As you ride, you hydrate from the armour. Drinking the beer relaxes the rider. As they drink more they become slower and their bodies more jelly like and less liable to damage themselves from impact. Eventually, once all the armour has gone, it's no longer necessary as the rider can no longer ride anyway. I could also call it "Less Reactive Armour".

I totally agree on your first part though. How often do you get stuck behind some incompetent baffoon driving at 60kph on a clear open 90kph country road. You get to the 50kph village and zoom .. they're off into the distance. No more scary ditches and uncertain road direction. Nice guiding kerbs, pavements, walls, houses and roadside babies out getting some air.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A quick update on these. Got some hot weather mileage on them now.

Excellent breath-ability. Very cool too wear, you wouldn't really know you have armoured shorts on. Not restrictive at all.

Everything downstairs is well supported in a comfortable and cossetted manner, without being suffocated ! Not hot, no grating, rubbing, chafing, moving about. Ideal for someone like @BAMBAMODA who will be certainly looking out to protect his high quality nether royalty from extremes of temperature or discomfort.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I agree with ZF, in my 50’s I break easier and I have more responsibilities.
Armour is a small price to pay for more confident and exciting ride!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That’s all very good info Zimmer. I have some fox padding that is so hot that I can’t drink enough water to stay hydrated in this current heatwave.

I know you mountain Germans like to keep things as natural as possible, but I agree that thing has to be way too hot shoved down your pants.

foxy.jpg

Also got an overheating warning on my Levo SL.

Well, you did tell @levity you were preparing for the Zombie apocalypse. Do you think you're pushing the SL too hard in preparation ? I did think afterwards you'd be better with a FF Levo for a Zombie apocalypse. But in hindsight, I think the SL is the way to go. It's about range and consistency with Zombie's not outright climbing speed. With the SL you can have a bandolier stuffed with 15 drinks bottle range extenders to keep you going ! It's genius. I need to pay more attention to your research and conclusions.

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
@Zimmerframe Enjoying all of your protection reviews. Immense.

A couple of questions though if I may :-
- What would your ideal Zimmer-fool outfit look like today ?
- You don't seem to rate any impact shorts very highly at all. Why? I appreciate age increases china-hip-syndrome whilst reducing size/exposure/necessity for some other bits but you don't seem as obsessed below -- your - ahem - waist? But which underwear / shorts / trousers / pants do you think best ?

Boh questions are actually serious.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@Zimmerframe Enjoying all of your protection reviews. Immense.

A couple of questions though if I may :-
- What would your ideal Zimmer-fool outfit look like today ?
- You don't seem to rate any impact shorts very highly at all. Why? I appreciate age increases china-hip-syndrome whilst reducing size/exposure/necessity for some other bits but you don't seem as obsessed below -- your - ahem - waist? But which underwear / shorts / trousers / pants do you think best ?

Boh questions are actually serious.
Hi @EME !

Good questions !

After 2 months of intensive armour overdosing ... Obsessively trying to find the most protection, I've circled back round a bit to accept there there has to be compromises on weight, freedom of movement, heat.

I think you have to match/balance your shorts in some degree with your upper body protection with regard to heat and deciding where and how much protection you want around your lower back - which may or may not be covered by the armour in the shorts.

The more I've worn the leatts the more I've come to like them - to the point that they became my everyday choice. They're comfortable and very cool. Most of my testing has been in hot weather - so the cool was attractive ! The hip pads I really like and the softer thigh/waist pads I've accepted as not to bulky/hot to take the sting out of things. I've still been looking at other options, but so far haven't found anything which suitably combined quality/comfort/protection and still cool ! The temperatures have crashed here now, so I might make a different choice for a winter under short. So the Leatt 3.0 4.0 & 5.0 all offer the same basic protection with some small variations.

For upper body, it's not so easy. It's all about managing compromises and deciding what you're trying to protect against.

In it's simplest form.

If you want to protect as much of the upper body as possible from general impacts then the Troy Lee Designs 7855 is the only real option. At only 700g it's also incredibly light and none restrictive. The downsides being that the chest/back and shoulders only give you good protection and not excellent protection. The Elbows seem pretty good, I think these might have been improved from earlier models, or I've just been lucky.

If you want good CE1 back and shoulder protection in something cool, which can also be worn on it's own in summer, then the Racer Motion Top 2 is really really nicely made, well thought out, very comfortable and has some minor chest protection. The more I wear this, the more I like it. The elbows aren't really anything to jump up and down about visually, but in fairness stopped any pain when I repeatedly impact tested them. What you lose with the more focused armour is the all round protection you get with the 7855 - but you can't have them both unless you're willing sacrificing being too bulky/heavy and HOT !

Next step up from there in terms of protection level, lots of options. At the moment I think my choice is heading towards the Forcefield Pro Shirt XV. I have an XV2 here which I've not had chance to ride in yet. I've worn it for a few days doing other things to get a feel for it and it's comfortable, well made, light weight. The XV2 is one of the rare tops with CE2 back, chest, shoulders and elbows. Amazingly it does all that and weighs in at 1250g - the same as a Leatt Airfit Light. The chest is the same makeup as the back and as chests, shoulders and elbows get CE1 and CE2 to a different standards to backs (approximately half the rating), the CE2 chest is therefore about twice the protection of anyone elses CE2 chest. They also do an "AIR" version which is all mesh rather than the "becool" fabric which feels cool so far. Hopefully will get a chance to ride in it soon and review it properly..

Some quick pics to give an idea on the forcefield :

The Shoulders and Elbows. D3O CE1 left. Forcefield CE2 right :

FFbits.jpg

D3O CE1 BP4 Back protector in Size Medium on the left. Forcefield CE2 in size SMALL on the right ..

ffbackout.jpg

The same, on the insides :

ffbackin.jpg

Incidentally, the CE2 Forcefield back - which is also larger than the CE1 D3O back is actually lighter at only 324g !

I generally buy armours in "Medium" - except for a couple where I've landed in "Large". The forcefield I landed at the top of Small/Bottom of Medium and went SMALL. It's stretchy, probably stretchier than the Troy Lee, so if in any doubt size down (same with the TLD7855). If they made an XS, I think that might even stretch enough to fit.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

High Rock Ruti

More armor than me? Seriously doubt that!

20200610_102939.jpg

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
@Zimmerframe Thanks very Much. A fascinating insight ar a point in time. It will be interesting what your winter foliage looks like .

LBS will be delighted at your recommendations.

@High Rock Ruti As an experienced self-wrapper what do you wear?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So another quick update/test on the Leatt 5.0's

Still my preferred protective short - but always on the look out for something better.

One thing I find with the Leatt armour in the armoured tops is it doesn't breath well - hence I rarely wear them.

The mesh on the shorts breaths really well, but I was curious about the armour panels on the hips and thighs but it's normally been too difficult test.

This morning was 7c degrees so no sweating just from ambient temperature .. Put them on for a short dog walk. 1km down to the lake and 1km back up a DH track.

Interestingly, whilst I never notice they're on when riding, they actually felt quite cumbersome when walking.

So stripping off after - the armour panels are all sopping wet - so no, they definitely don't breath well in the protected areas.

Ideally, I'd like some with the new SAS-TEC Tripleflex pads in on the hips and thighs - 7mm thick and CE2, incredibly flexible and breathable.

or the new A-XOC pads - a different design with even better breath-ability. (These are actually also manufactured by SAS-TEC).

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have been using the Leatt armoured shorts for nearly 2 years ( the 4s rather than the 5s which are basically the same but with a chamois and without those sticky up bits on the top!). I have never experienced any dampness whether winter or summer. I wear under armour compression shorts underneath and trail shorts over the top, both are breathable/wicking......so is it inappropriate layering causing the dampness problem?? Wherever you have a source of heat ( your body) directly meeting colder air you will get condensation unless there is another layer to absorb and wick that moisture.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles