Rail (625Wh) Kiox retro fit top tube mount

Coatezy

Nov 8, 2022
South West, UK
I have a Rail 5 on order from Trek Bristol and I have also just received a retrofit kit. Trek Bristol kindly offered to fit the kit before I collect. I’ve noticed there is a Rail specific top tube mount, would I need a controller with a longer wire to use this mount? I spotted in another thread that someone did in fact fit a controller with a longer wire but I’ve not been able to find the part. Is this part necessary and if it is, does anyone know the part number?

Coatezy

Nov 8, 2022
South West, UK
No
just get the kiox fitted and there should be plenty of wire spare .
Thanks - that’s good know. Was worried based on a couple comments on here and suggestions elsewhere to move the controllers away from the lever to gain some slack that I’d need to invest in a new one.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Thanks - that’s good know. Was worried based on a couple comments on here and suggestions elsewhere to move the controllers away from the lever to gain some slack that I’d need to invest in a new one.
Your welcome
I had no issues with mine at all , it all went on perfect.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Your welcome
I had no issues with mine at all , it all went on perfect.
My Kiox Retrofit display is to the side of the stem to make it less likely to get zapped when I stack the bike. Installed by the LBS using the cables in the kit plus a Cube Acid Kiox Bracket from eBay.

20221121_125203~2.jpg

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
This is the bracket I’m hoping to use by the way. Trek Knock Block Mount for Bosch Kiox Display | Trek Bikes (GB)
That’s what I used also.
56B21892-C749-4E68-9426-165E6F6876B1.jpeg
However there is a small part needed (small triangle shape) which aligns the new holder and retains the knockblock. On the new holder there are two alignment buttons which fit into the new triangle part and prevents the holder from spinning or misalignment.

I avoided this small part by carefully drilling two holes into the existing knockblock retainer. I would not shave off the buttons as these prevent the Kiox holder from spinning or misalignment. I tried to order the small triangle part but that would take months to come in. The modification suggested came from the LBS.
It worked.
As you can see in the pic I also attached a short tether to prevent an accidental loss of the Kiox. The Kiox is magnetically attached to the holder.

Coatezy

Nov 8, 2022
South West, UK
That’s what I used also.
View attachment 102094
However there is a small part needed (small triangle shape) which aligns the new holder and retains the knockblock. On the new holder there are two alignment buttons which fit into the new triangle part and prevents the holder from spinning or misalignment.

I avoided this small part by carefully drilling two holes into the existing knockblock retainer. I would not shave off the buttons as these prevent the Kiox holder from spinning or misalignment. I tried to order the small triangle part but that would take months to come in. The modification suggested came from the LBS.
It worked.
As you can see in the pic I also attached a short tether to prevent an accidental loss of the Kiox. The Kiox is magnetically attached to the holder.
Thanks for the heads up on the knock block chip! Don’t suppose you know the part number for the chip with the two alignment holes?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Thanks for the heads up on the knock block chip! Don’t suppose you know the part number for the chip with the two alignment holes?
I’m not sure but the LBS ordered one…and then quickly cancelled after they told me about drilling two holes. Btw, it’s not easy to drill or align. The new chip might be an easier/better solution.

Coatezy

Nov 8, 2022
South West, UK
I’m not sure but the LBS ordered one…and then quickly cancelled after they told me about drilling two holes. Btw, it’s not easy to drill or align. The new chip might be an easier/better solution.
As you say it does appear that the parts are hard to come by and it doesn’t look like you can buy the chip independently so you have to by the whole headset assembly. Also not clear which degree to go with, seems to be 58 or 72.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If I recall, the small knock block chip (with alignment holes) was available separately ($12?) but the wait was unknown. I’m not sure about the degrees.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
There is a 72 degree non block chip but can’t find a blocking one. Trek dealer wasn’t sure either. I’ll work it out though, it’s all part of the fun.

Hmmm 🤔 . I would want the knockblock chip.
I never had this problem/option because I carefully drilled the alignment holes myself. I must of got lucky because it worked. Maybe there’s no other model.
If you’re not successful with tracking down a properly fitting knockblock chip, I’ll take mine apart and post a picture.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
There is a 72 degree non block chip but can’t find a blocking one. Trek dealer wasn’t sure either. I’ll work it out though, it’s all part of the fun.

10 minutes later; I went downstairs and took it apart. B6022903-1EF2-4BED-A7E1-04A83F8A20E3.jpeg E3BE97DD-97BB-4F4A-B00F-8794889F5C69.jpeg FE3BED31-21FE-4228-B1B6-BD2D039C9052.jpeg A346B6B6-0468-4498-81B8-BBDC19C2EF78.jpeg
I disassembled and reassembled the Kiox top tube holder. The alignment holes that I drilled were not perfect …but pretty darn close. When I took it apart I noticed that one of the alignment buttons had sheared off.
B6022903-1EF2-4BED-A7E1-04A83F8A20E3.jpeg

This didn’t seem to affect the alignment but was likely caused from a sideways bump or crash. I added new blue locktite to the screw when I reassembled.

Last edited:

Coatezy

Nov 8, 2022
South West, UK
Thanks
10 minutes later; I went downstairs and took it apart. View attachment 102335 View attachment 102336 View attachment 102337 View attachment 102338
I disassembled and reassembled the Kiox top tube holder. The alignment holes that I drilled were not perfect …but pretty darn close. When I took it apart I noticed that one of the alignment buttons had sheared off.
View attachment 102335
This didn’t seem to affect the alignment but was likely caused from a sideways bump or crash. I added new blue locktite to the screw when I reassembled.
Wow thanks dude! I could probably have drill the existing one or maybe removed the buttons and then used some strong tape to stick it down but thought I’d try and answer the chip question. So from what I understand all pre 2022 bikes were 58 degree, and all 2022 onwards Rail 9s are 72 degrees. I do remember the newer 9s being different geometry so that makes sense. I bit the bullet and bought this, according to this service manual there is an upper assembly (5252157) but I can’t find that anywhere in stock online. At least I’ll have some spares if the chip is correct. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Just for info i never drilled mine
It was no problem the most it will do is turn a bit if you knock it hard but this also has an upside in that it is less likely to get damaged in a crash if you have one and it gets hit.

Coatezy

Nov 8, 2022
South West, UK
It was no problem the most it will do is turn a bit if you knock it hard but this also has an upside in that it is less likely to get damaged in a crash if you have one and it gets hit.
Good to know, my OCDs probably just cost me £50 for no real reason but it will be interesting to confirm which parts work if others want to do the same. 😅

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
That’s a good point. The same reason I don’t over tighten the bar stem or brake lever clamps.
It almost seems as though the mounting screw is enough (no alignment buttons) to maintain the alignment. Perhaps a bit of two sided tape could also help.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My Kiox Retrofit display is to the side of the stem to make it less likely to get zapped when I stack the bike. Installed by the LBS using the cables in the kit plus a Cube Acid Kiox Bracket from eBay.

View attachment 102021
It’s good to see different cockpit setups. There seems to be a product available for most individual preferences and style of riding. I don’t think one is better than the other, because if it works …it works. 🤷‍♂️

My near vision is not the best, so a phone mounted for maps is useless to me. I keep my phone in a pac along with my prescription bi-focals. When my Kiox was mounted on top of the stem it was often knocked off even though it was magnetically attached. I would not permanently attach it to the mount. Hence the tether idea.

When I moved the Kiox and new mount, to the top tube I also needed a a special adapter for a proper fit. Even though this new position didn’t help the vision issue, it did protect the Kiox and prevented most accidental knock-offs. I rely on mode colour (purple for eMTB mode) which is easier for me to see at a quick glance. I can’t read the fine-print but I can see the clock page (so I don’t exceed my self imposed curfew)😉.

My never-ending quest for a clean cockpit has triggered a few upgrades also. The Sram AXS system for the derailer and dropper has helped. I added adapters to my magura MT7’s because the brake lines protruded too far out and at weird angles. Line length is more critical with these adapters.

Wireless brakes are not an option …but maybe some day in the future. In the meantime, I will have a decent setup that suits my riding style.
IMG_6355.jpeg
The adapter keeps the brake lines a little closer to the bar.
IMG_6356.jpeg
I haven’t had as many issues with the Kiox in this position. The bar clamp adapter accepts a nightlight or GoPro. (Bontrager setup I think, with a carbon bar).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles