KIOX 300 retrofit on an RSX

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am no real fan of bike displays and not really interested in most of the data they provide but there is one thing I am interested in and that is navigation. OK so navigation does yet exist on the Bosch Smart System but it is promised so I wanted to get ahead of the game and fit a Kiox 300 ready for when it does. I was also convinced to go ahead and fit one on the basis that it only needs to be there when I need it.....and most of the time for Forest rides etc I will not have it on my bike. Removing it either means simply removing the display leaving its cradle etc still on the bike, or for the sake of a couple of minutes and one allen key the whole set up can be removed.
So firstly no one seems yet to have stock of the KIOX 300 Retrofit Kit.........certainly not in the UK anyway. No problem. The kit merely consists, a short cable, the bar mount, a cradle ( forward cable outlet or rear cable outlet options) and the Kiox display itself. All of those components can be bought separately at any Bosch dealer ( e.g Bikester). I bought a 250mm cable, bar mount, and cradle with forward cable outlets so I could mount the Kiox 300 behind the bars over the stem.
Fitting the kit is simple. Fit the bar mount and cradle, disconnect the cable going into the LED Remote and plug that into either outlet on the cradle, and connect the new short cable to the other cradle outlet and the LED Remote. Fit the Kiox 300 display into the cradle.
Because Kiox 300 is just a display monitor from the LED Remote all that you need to do now is switch on the system ( the LED Remote top button) and the screen comes on. In terms of set up, all that is really required is to go into settings to do things like set the time, and decide on metric or imperial units.

I also set up a tether on it. It has a tether bar and I tethered it to the bar mount.

Today I did a 15 mile cross country type ride with a good mix of trail conditions. Even on the roughest and fastest sections there was no tendency for the Kiox 300 to be dislodged, and the display, like the LED Remote auto adjusts light levels so it was easy to read all the time.

In the absence yet of navigation there were a couple of screens I found interesting. One was a screen showing cadence. I have never really had any way to determine exactly what a cadence of 70 rpm was like for example.......now I know! I liked having a speed reading again having previously been used to having that on a Purion. I can see some of the other information being useful on a longer adventure type ride......current ride distance, range for each power mode, battery level as a % etc. Not the sort of information I need for most of my riding though.

Total cost c £130.

I just need now to work on a neoprene cover for the cradle so that it is protected when the Kiox 300 is removed from the cradle, and perhaps a screen protector for the Kiox 300 display itself.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Does the Bosch/Kiox have incident detection yet?

I had a big accident a few weeks ago, and incident detection is my new 'must-have' feature. I wear both a smartwatch and use a Garmin Edge, but only the Garmin triggered and alerted my emergency contacts of the incident and sent them my GPS location.

As it happens, adrenaline meant I could ride the 10 miles home, and only when I'd packed my bike away I realised I'd better get myself to the hospital for a checkup 🙄 Still not back on the bike 🤕

If you have it and ride alone, configure and enable it is my advice.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Sorry to hear a bout your accident..............no the Kiox 300 is as yet pretty basic but youcan bet it is aiming at Garmin type functionality! Oh...I never ride alone so unless both of us crash I have a guardian!

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Great write up👍 I’m toying with getting one for exactly the same reason, the nav.
Where did you buy everything from?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Great write up👍 I’m toying with getting one for exactly the same reason, the nav.
Where did you buy everything from?
I bought the KIOX 300 from Bikester and the various bits to fit it from Ride Repair Cycles.
I have also just updated both the flow app and the bike..using the flow app...something I would not normally be confident to do given the vagaries of blu tooth connections, but I have been very impressed with the speed and reliability of the app to bike connection and wanted to overcome what seemed a bit of a problem. To explain, I was advised in my phone notifications that an update for the Fow app was available but when I clicked on that and it took me to the Google app store to do the update, it said it was unable to update. I assumed that because the app is live it would need to be closed in order to update but rather than do that I went in "My Bike" in the settings menu of the app whilst connected to the bike. There it advised an update was available but the app needed updating first. It did both in a bout 5 minutes and the Kiox screen confirmed the bike was updating and then that the update was successful and complete. All good.

I am now intrigued by the Bike lock/Alarm/tracking function it said is enabled in the update. It needs the addition of a "connect module" to work. If implemented the motor can only be started if my phone is nearby and on ( the Lock function), if the bike is moved it emits an alarm ( alarm function), if it is wheeled away an alert is sent to my phone and from there I can track the bike ( track and trace). That all sounds good so I will investigate what the "connect module" is and whether it is in fact yet available.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Yeah I’ve read about the module, think it will appprox £90 and the £39 per year if I remember correctly.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
yep found that info now. It does not yet seem to be available anyway. I could not find anything that showed how big the module is or how it fits to any bike. As far as cost is concerned the purchase price is double what I paid for my existing tracker but the annual cost is £20 cheaper so worth considering at some stage as a replacement for my tracker maybe.

Tower

Aug 21, 2022
United Kingdom
yep found that info now. It does not yet seem to be available anyway. I could not find anything that showed how big the module is or how it fits to any bike. As far as cost is concerned the purchase price is double what I paid for my existing tracker but the annual cost is £20 cheaper so worth considering at some stage as a replacement for my tracker maybe.
Hi Mike,

Prior to collecting my bike last week, I had asked the sales team at MTB Monster to make enquiries about the connect module (availability/fitted price etc) only to be told on collection they had been advised by the Bosch rep that the module wasn't available until spring 23.

Interestingly I spotted this today which confidently states the unit is due to be released on 1st September.

I've signed up for a e-mail alert and will post if I get anything.

Tower

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Re: the Kiox 300, also interested due to sat-nav but additionally, the mini remote that replaces the LED unit.

The mini remote is only compatible with the top tube mounted controller since it is only a switching unit.

Tower

Aug 21, 2022
United Kingdom
Quick update re: connect module.

I had e-mailed Bosch via the Flow app and have received a response today as follows.

Thanks for contacting Bosch eBike

It will be available from autumn this year

No specific date was given but lends credence to the possibility of 1st September.

Tower

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Anyone heard when and if, it will be possible to load a gpx file to the Kiox? Its the only reason I’d buy the screen.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think Rob said recently that Navigation would be soon.............that is the main reason I fitted a Kiox 300 as well. I suspect the way it will be done is by using Komoot linked to the bike via the Flow app. Currently the Flow App links the GPS data from the phone to the sensor data from the bike and combines them to provide the ride data. The Flow app ( ie the Bosch Servers) will also send that compilation of ride data to Strave or Komoot if you enable that in the app. So the lines of communication are there. Maybe the issue is Google maps?? Note that you can use the app to see the current position of the bike on a google map. That uses the phone GPS and the phone google maps.....access to which is paid for by Android/Iphone aspart of the cost of the phone. Note however, that you cannot get that same display on Kiox.....because that is now another device using google maps, and that is not free!! I suspect therefore there will be a subscription in some way, maybe a Komoot subcription. Last time I used Komoot (like Strava) there was a free membership and a subscription membership with more functionality...dont know if that is still the case.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I had a quick look at Komoot and it looks like you buy map access. Hopefully you will be able to run Komoot or Strava on the Kiox screen.

Tower

Aug 21, 2022
United Kingdom
What's the difference between that and the retrofit version?

Wudzi,

Not sure what you mean exactly. The above link is for the Connect module which is a retrofit on the basis it isn't fitted as standard by a manufacturer.

To my knowledge the unit is only available as a retrofit option as the majority of emtb owners are unlikely to want or need a gps tracker.

Tower

Wudzi

Feb 14, 2022
Andover
Wudzi,

Not sure what you mean exactly. The above link is for the Connect module which is a retrofit on the basis it isn't fitted as standard by a manufacturer.

To my knowledge the unit is only available as a retrofit option as the majority of emtb owners are unlikely to want or need a gps tracker.

Tower
The one I linked to is a different price to the one you linked to. Just not sure which is correct to order.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
the retrofit version is complete with cable and mounting kit. The first item linked a bove is just the tracker............presumably for someone who has broken or lost the tracker. So you need the retrofit.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
the retrofit version is complete with cable and mounting kit. The first item linked a bove is just the tracker............presumably for someone who has broken or lost the tracker. So you need the retrofit.
From the description is would seem the new CX motor has the mounting location with 4 bolt holes for the Module. The package looks interesting but at the moment I have already paid a year in advance for my tracker subscriptions so I will look at this a gain when they expire.

The one thing I do not like about it is the requirement to implement the bike lock first. Whilst the phone is an integral part of the Bosch connectivity system, nothing prevents you riding the bike without without it.........except the bike lock.

Last edited:

hainman

Apr 8, 2021
Glasgow
Can I ask was the retrofit just the Kiox and swapped out from the older Kiox to the newer 300?
I’m trying to swap my Purion to Kiox but isn’t straight forward

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Can I ask was the retrofit just the Kiox and swapped out from the older Kiox to the newer 300?
I’m trying to swap my Purion to Kiox but isn’t straight forward
Think you are getting confused!! If your bike is the Bosch System 2......ie Purion conroller........then in order to get a display one of your options is Kiox and you can buy that as an upgrade kit.

Kiox 300 is a completely different display to the System 2 Kiox and is only compatible with the Bosch System 3 ( The Bosch Smart System).

hainman

Apr 8, 2021
Glasgow
I’m in process of changing the Purion with Kiox
But not 300,was curious if the 300 was able to be retrofitted in with the older Kiox

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I’m in process of changing the Purion with Kiox
But not 300,was curious if the 300 was able to be retrofitted in with the older Kiox
No.....the Bosch Smart System components are not backward compatible with any previous Bosch system. The reason is that the Bosch Smart System uses a different/faster CAN network to connect all electrical components ( called CAN FD).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles