Kinematics

Jun 15, 2021
sussex
Quick question, is the rear suspension on the Decoy progressive or linear? I'm considering getting a coil spring and wondered if I needed a progressively wound spring or not.
Thanks

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
Either or I think, some run normal coil or progressive, I've tried both and found out progressive suits me better as its more supple off the top(with the lower-ish progressive spring in), where as running a normal one is slightly stiffer off the top. My riding style is a mixture of jumps, drops , bike park and normal trail riding. So I try not switch coils at all just for the different places I ride at.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Quick question, is the rear suspension on the Decoy progressive or linear? I'm considering getting a coil spring and wondered if I needed a progressively wound spring or not.
Thanks

@stressballsteve - Linear spring is fine...maybe even preferable. The Decoy frame design very progressive (rising) rate leverage ratio (LR). The Decoy certainly doesn't require a progressive spring - last thing you need is even *more* progressivity on this frame. It's essentially the same as the Capra design which you can view the frame analysis in great detail in the youtube link and the screenshot from andrextr's channel video below.

Being a super-progressive design helps plenty in not bottoming out with a coil spring. I'm 270# all geared up and use a 650#/in coil on a Bomber CR and I have yet to even touch the rubber bumper. I don't do huge jumps but do some small drops. I could almost try a 625# but my sag is correct with 650#.

One of the downsides, however, is that the LR is so high in the beginning that you need HUGE spring rates to achieve 30-33% sag (air or coil). I ended up going to coil simply because at 330psi in my DPX2, there was little bump compliance left for traction. It was plenty supportive but just way outside of it's ideal 'happy' operating range. I'm much better now on the coil.

frame progressivity.png

Jun 15, 2021
sussex
Jeffsy29, thanks for the detailed response, all makes sense now. I’m going to pull the plug and get a coil, I’m leaning towards the formula mod.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Jeffsy29, thanks for the detailed response, all makes sense now. I’m going to pull the plug and get a coil, I’m leaning towards the formula mod.

I've never heard of them! Dig the purple coil though. I cannot make sense of this chart of theirs, but I like the idea of the semi-custom tunability.

A Y-axis label would be nice. I would assume it's a damping graph but I'd want the curve to look the opposite if it's damping force. i.e. more damping for low speed (pedaling, brake-dive, g-outs, popping off berms) and less damping for high-speed impacts like square-edge hits, roots, rocks, etc. where I want the travel of the shock to suck up the impact and dissipate force.

1624827848011.png

Jun 15, 2021
sussex
Having had the shock sat in my garage for a few months, I finally got round to fitting it. First ride out...wow, transformed the bike. The X2 isn't a bad shock, but the MOD is in a different league! The bike feels so planted and the travel feels bottomless. Its super plush and even on a heavy case it just absorbed it without complaint with no harsh bottoming. I'm currently running it with the middle CTS and a 550 spring, I'll swap it out for the firmer compression when I next go to the bike park.

shock.jpg

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
there you have it

yt has a really progressive plataform, among a huge 230 shock I think is one of the best. Either with a coil for chunky trails or air for more speedy ones its gonna work fine

Last edited:

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
there you have it

yt has a really progressive plataform, among a huge 230 shock I think is one of the best. Either with a coil for chunky trails or air for more speedy ones its gonna work fine

Screenshot_20211126-093047_Samsung Internet.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles