Kenevo Ohlins Coil - why lol

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Just so you know,

I just checked my spring and although it is absolutely nothing like yours there is paint coming off it........
So, I called TF Tuned where I got the spring from and they confirmed that they have had a small number of Ohlins springs where the paint had come off the spring

TF confirmed with me that although it is a slow process Ohlins will cover this under warranty. TF said to me that when I get home tonight if I can send them the details of the spring regarding stroke length, spring rate etc they will send me a new spring in the post and once I receive and fit it they have asked me to send the old one back to them (y)

Hopefully Ohlins will do the same for you.

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
Just so you know,

I just checked my spring and although it is absolutely nothing like yours there is paint coming off it........
So, I called TF Tuned where I got the spring from and they confirmed that they have had a small number of Ohlins springs where the paint had come off the spring

TF confirmed with me that although it is a slow process Ohlins will cover this under warranty. TF said to me that when I get home tonight if I can send them the details of the spring regarding stroke length, spring rate etc they will send me a new spring in the post and once I receive and fit it they have asked me to send the old one back to them (y)

Hopefully Ohlins will do the same for you.
Top job, hopefully I can get a similar level of service. Hopefully if I keep the doors open with supplier/manufacturer I might get some where....fingers crossed. Good luck wih yours hope all goes well.

Cheers
George

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
Update on my situation for anyone that cares to know............ Following comments and advice on here I spoke directly with Ohlins. As soon as the chap saw the pictures his words were " it looks really bad " and you say the bike is under a year old? Send me the product and serial number so that i may help "...... ( at last someone who is on this planet )

The latest response below came through this morning

" Good morning George,

I send the claim yesterday to Sweden, and your claim is approved.
Now we must wait of the Spring from Sweden. "

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
xxxxxx xxxxxxx
Customer Support – Warranty Administrator

Kudos to this guy and for the Ohlins customer support not to mention advice from you guys ' well the good bits ) I feel that I would be banging my head against a brick wall to continue speaking with Tredz and Specialized ( although they didn't directly refuse to help it was quite evident from the response that i was fighting a losing battle )

I must add that Tredz have been really helpful ( tricky for them being in the middle and I suppose they have to remain impartial )

Tredz have since offered to cover £35 to get the new coil fitted and shock set up

Credit where credit is due!!!

Thanks again

Last edited:

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
Your coil spring should not look like that. Try dealing with Ohlins directly. This is what my spring looked like after 3000 miles of hard riding.

View attachment 11539
Hi, on a side note, how have you kept this bit looking so good? Mine has what looks like scratches from the coil.........

IMAG1024.jpg

Lochlomonddr

Dec 12, 2018
Scotland
Really glad you have it sorted, i had major issues arranging a demo with my local specialized store, contacted specialized directly and they were great, arrnaged free demo (never needed in end) but they sent me a free bottle cage, tool and a load of clothing and other freebies for my troubles.

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
Really glad you have it sorted, i had major issues arranging a demo with my local specialized store, contacted specialized directly and they were great, arrnaged free demo (never needed in end) but they sent me a free bottle cage, tool and a load of clothing and other freebies for my troubles.
Thanks Simon - me too. Ironically when i spoke with Tredz today they had a further reply from Specialized ( came through yesterday ) based on not accepting the initial ' it's a moving part ' response. The response was along the lines of - the warranty for the shock is with Ohlins and therefor the conversation needs to be with them........ not sure why this wasn't offered in the first place but hey, all worked out well in the end. Freebies sound good :) :)

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
Congrats on having this sorted out!

But that first answer you got from specialized "that's normal cause it's a moving part" is so much bullshit, whoever wrote that should be fired instantly and get replaced by someone with a brain.
I was trying to be a little more diplomatic - although I agree - perhaps not with the beheading but some furher training might be in order ;-)

Kallen100

Mar 2, 2019
Uk
Hello,

I am looking for some help and advice please from anyone with previous experience on my issue. In short, owned my Kenevo since last October(ish) and noticed that the coating of my Ohlins coil is coming off and the coil is rusting!!! The word wtf left my mouth a few times... not like this is a bike from toys r us. ' Aware toys r us are no more ' .

I have never owned a full sus bike before so for all i know this is quite normal although i can't see how the product can be fit for purpose if within a few months i essentially need a new coil ( or do I ) i don't know it certainly doesn't look great though on a 5.5k bike!!

Anyhow i have been in contact with Tredz who in turn spoke with Specialized who both agreed that it was in fact quite normal ( i have asked them to review ) mainly because the bike has had no heavy use, it is used everyday but for commuting.

I suppose it would be good to get some ideas of what my options are, is this normal or should i get a replacement under warranty? It should last at least a year right?

Or should i just buy another coil - reluctantly? The bike is going to be sold in a a couple of months, will this coil last that long?

If this coil isn't defective why on earth do Ohlins or Specialized use these coils!!??

Really appreciate any help that can be given, any experience shared - thus far i know very little.

Many Thanks in advance

All the best

George

View attachment 11519

View attachment 11520
is that a fairground in the background, do you live by the sea? if so i expect the salt air has something to do with it. the bike isnt designed for everyday commuting - but its shocking (no pun intended:) )

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles