Kenevo Ohlins Coil - why lol

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
Hello,

I am looking for some help and advice please from anyone with previous experience on my issue. In short, owned my Kenevo since last October(ish) and noticed that the coating of my Ohlins coil is coming off and the coil is rusting!!! The word wtf left my mouth a few times... not like this is a bike from toys r us. ' Aware toys r us are no more ' .

I have never owned a full sus bike before so for all i know this is quite normal although i can't see how the product can be fit for purpose if within a few months i essentially need a new coil ( or do I ) i don't know it certainly doesn't look great though on a 5.5k bike!!

Anyhow i have been in contact with Tredz who in turn spoke with Specialized who both agreed that it was in fact quite normal ( i have asked them to review ) mainly because the bike has had no heavy use, it is used everyday but for commuting.

I suppose it would be good to get some ideas of what my options are, is this normal or should i get a replacement under warranty? It should last at least a year right?

Or should i just buy another coil - reluctantly? The bike is going to be sold in a a couple of months, will this coil last that long?

If this coil isn't defective why on earth do Ohlins or Specialized use these coils!!??

Really appreciate any help that can be given, any experience shared - thus far i know very little.

Many Thanks in advance

All the best

George

52999873_293977114629560_3555439722232807424_n (1).jpg

53110827_554411281711234_8878833570005647360_n.jpg

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply and comments. These were my thoughts exactly but didn't want to push too hard without knowing more. Think I'll give the shop another call tomorrow.

Cheers

George

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hello,

I am looking for some help and advice please from anyone with previous experience on my issue. In short, owned my Kenevo since last October(ish) and noticed that the coating of my Ohlins coil is coming off and the coil is rusting!!! The word wtf left my mouth a few times... not like this is a bike from toys r us. ' Aware toys r us are no more ' .

I have never owned a full sus bike before so for all i know this is quite normal although i can't see how the product can be fit for purpose if within a few months i essentially need a new coil ( or do I ) i don't know it certainly doesn't look great though on a 5.5k bike!!

Anyhow i have been in contact with Tredz who in turn spoke with Specialized who both agreed that it was in fact quite normal ( i have asked them to review ) mainly because the bike has had no heavy use, it is used everyday but for commuting.

I suppose it would be good to get some ideas of what my options are, is this normal or should i get a replacement under warranty? It should last at least a year right?

Or should i just buy another coil - reluctantly? The bike is going to be sold in a a couple of months, will this coil last that long?

If this coil isn't defective why on earth do Ohlins or Specialized use these coils!!??

Really appreciate any help that can be given, any experience shared - thus far i know very little.

Many Thanks in advance

All the best

George

View attachment 11519

View attachment 11520

This look ridiculous, I think it is a case for @Specialized Rider Care here!

Karsten

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
How many miles on it?
Hi R120,

The Mission control app says 1010.49km, probably seems pretty far although like I said the bike is my daily commute, no heavy riding ( I just wanted a really good bike :) )

Here is the email convo from the supplier. I am 65 kg's and wanted to go for a small but the shop assured me that the medium was the right bike for me.

Hi George,

Specialized have got back to us regarding your spring. Below is what they have told us.

Thanks for your email, I'm afraid this type of paint loss from the coil is something we have seen before and is a little but unavoidable as clearly the spring is a moving part and the paint is static so doesn't flex with the spring.

One thing that may exaggerate this wear would be if the coil is a little light for the rider's weight and they have to add preload causing the spring to be compressed for longer amounts of time. Would you be able to let me know the rider's weight and if they have ever changed the spring from the 457lb/in that is supplied on the medium Kenevo?

If you can let me know the above information I'm sure I'll be able to help further.

Kind regards,

Please could we have some information to be able to go to Specialized with further information should there be anything else that we can do to help on this issue.

I would say on this issue that we would agree with what has been said on this, however if there is anything further that you can give to us to prove otherwise, we are happy to put this forward for you.

Hi xxxxxxxxxx,

Thanks for the follow up email. All shock settings have been left as stock since the bike delivered to me mainly because everything felt sweet. I am 65kg and spent a lot of time debating between small and medium the lady on the phone assured me that medium was the right size for me. Fully appreciate the response I would add though that the bike is really only used for commuting and doesn't get any kind of heavy use - does seem a bit odd on that basis and for the age of the shock/cost etc.

Thanks again really hope something can be done

Cheers

George

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I would be inclined to save myself the agro and just paint it myself rather than fuck about sending it back and having no bike for weeks on end.

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
I would be inclined to save myself the agro and just paint it myself rather than fuck about sending it back and having no bike for weeks on end.
Russell,

I had considered this option however bearing in mind that I have never owned a full sus bike and know nothing about repairing coils, removing to coil, prepping and painting would be a huge task which I would likely get wrong. Apart from that I really don't feel that I should have to repair the coil after the use it has had.

Appreciate the comment though, thanks for the input.

Cheers
George

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
Your coil spring should not look like that. Try dealing with Ohlins directly. This is what my spring looked like after 3000 miles of hard riding.

View attachment 11539
Hi George,

Thank you so much for your reply, that is great news for me thank you. I will speak with the supplier again tomorrow and if no luck I will go straight to Ohlins.

Much appreciated

George

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The only reason I could see that happening is if the paint had been badly chipped and water got under, other wise shouldn't happen.

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
You must have an awesome commute if you need a kenevo. My spring looks like new after 6 months of abuse.
Dax, sadly it's on the flat and I never needed the Kenevo I just wanted one. I've always owned good push bikes. Was a dealer for lower end ebikes ( before the mid drive bikes came out ) was always frustrated with the cheap components on them so as soon as the opportunity came up to get an all singing all dancing ebike I jumped on it.....and here we are

Last edited:

Tucker

Apr 12, 2018
Hull
i think they key thing is you use it for commuting, with all the salt and grit on roads i am not surprised to see it starting to rust, i use mine soley for MTBing and coverd a hard 2500miles on it now and the spring is fine but i am not introducing it to road salt etc..maybe that is why yours is rusting

Lochlomonddr

Dec 12, 2018
Scotland
looks like you both have an awful lot of preload on your springs, not sure if you like to run it hard but if your 65kg and its wound up that tight then you probably are not utilising the spring to its potential. First thing I ordered was a replacement spring to be equal to my body weight, its due to arrive this week, i will have a stock spring from a size medicum that should be for sale if you want if you have no luch with a replacement.

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
looks like you both have an awful lot of preload on your springs, not sure if you like to run it hard but if your 65kg and its wound up that tight then you probably are not utilising the spring to its potential. First thing I ordered was a replacement spring to be equal to my body weight, its due to arrive this week, i will have a stock spring from a size medicum that should be for sale if you want if you have no luch with a replacement.
Hi Lochlomonddr, thanks for the message i just left the bike at stock settings as supplied by the supplier i never considered that i would have to make adjustments so that things didn't break :) I may well be, out of interest how much and where are you based even if just for a spare?

Cheers

Lochlomonddr

Dec 12, 2018
Scotland
Hi Lochlomonddr, thanks for the message i just left the bike at stock settings as supplied by the supplier i never considered that i would have to make adjustments so that things didn't break :) I may well be, out of interest how much and where are you based even if just for a spare?

Cheers
hi there, the recommedned sag is about 20-30% depending on your riding style etc, you can google loads of videos how to adjust this online.
I live near loch lomond in scotland. New one is £55 so probs about £30 ish.

SImon

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
hi there, the recommedned sag is about 20-30% depending on your riding style etc, you can google loads of videos how to adjust this online.
I live near loch lomond in scotland. New one is £55 so probs about £30 ish.

SImon
Hi Simon, thanks for the info i have read about sag, thought it was the amount of give when sat on the bike. When you say preload is that adjusted by the threaded twisty bit? I won't give it a go just helpful to know for future. Spoke with the supplier just now and they said they will go back to Specialized. Fingers crossed. Is £30 posted an option and presumably in ' as new condition ' :)
Cheers
George
Ohlins.PNG

Lochlomonddr

Dec 12, 2018
Scotland
Hi Simon, thanks for the info i have read about sag, thought it was the amount of give when sat on the bike. When you say preload is that adjusted by the threaded twisty bit? I won't give it a go just helpful to know for future. Spoke with the supplier just now and they said they will go back to Specialized. Fingers crossed. Is £30 posted an option and presumably in ' as new condition ' :)
Cheers
George View attachment 11548
it is the amount of suspension used when sat gently on the bike. If the spring is not tight enough you might have a greater sag than the 20-30% and if its too tightly wound down then you the sag will be less and you wont be getting maximum travel or feel from the suspension. Yes, that bit is how you set the preload. there is a little rubber bit that slides on the piston to show how much of the travel has been used. work out the % compered with the piston length to get your sag value. It has the same effect as putting more or less air in an air spring. Given how much yours was wound down and how light you are there cant bne much movement in the rear suspension.
Yes as new, only done a handful of rides as only a month old.

Lochlomonddr

Dec 12, 2018
Scotland
Cheers
George View attachment 11548
https://www.ohlins.com/app/uploads/world/2016/07/OM_07254-03_2.pdf

read page 6.

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
it is the amount of suspension used when sat gently on the bike. If the spring is not tight enough you might have a greater sag than the 20-30% and if its too tightly wound down then you the sag will be less and you wont be getting maximum travel or feel from the suspension. Yes, that bit is how you set the preload. there is a little rubber bit that slides on the piston to show how much of the travel has been used. work out the % compered with the piston length to get your sag value. It has the same effect as putting more or less air in an air spring. Given how much yours was wound down and how light you are there cant bne much movement in the rear suspension.
Yes as new, only done a handful of rides as only a month old.
Thanks SImon,

Just followed the steps in the manual - pic attached it looks to be around 30% or maybe just over, what do you think. Also am i in danger of teh spring snapping? Should i lock it out until this is resolved?

Many Thanks for your help and time

Cheers
George

53121513_770834773288396_7424503393848131584_n.jpg

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Guys,

This issue I believe is down to a very poor paint job on the spring and possibly the ‘painter’ using the wrong type of paint?

It obviously has not been prepared properly before it was painted.

If there is rust underneath already I suspect it wasn’t cleaned, rust proof coated or a proper under coat used on it before the top coats went on....

I suggest you go direct to Ohlins as they need to pick this up as they clearly have a supplier that is not doing any quality control on their painting process/practices.

Lochlomonddr

Dec 12, 2018
Scotland
Thanks SImon,

Just followed the steps in the manual - pic attached it looks to be around 30% or maybe just over, what do you think. Also am i in danger of teh spring snapping? Should i lock it out until this is resolved?

Many Thanks for your help and time

Cheers
George

View attachment 11549
i certainly dontthink you will snap the spring, are you only 65 kg? what position do you have the little lever in on the other side. (it has 3 settlings?) its best to actually measure it then work out the sag.

Georgieboy1984

Mar 3, 2019
Bournemouth
Guys,

This issue I believe is down to a very poor paint job on the spring and possibly the ‘painter’ using the wrong type of paint?

It obviously has not been prepared properly before it was painted.

If there is rust underneath already I suspect it wasn’t cleaned, rust proof coated or a proper under coat used on it before the top coats went on....

I suggest you go direct to Ohlins as they need to pick this up as they clearly have a supplier that is not doing any quality control on their painting process/practices.
Kiwi,

Thanks for the reply every bit of common sense I have tells me the spring is defective although the supplier nor specialized have agreed as of yet - hoping they will. In the meantime i will take your advice and see what Ohlins think.

Many Thanks

George
i certainly dontthink you will snap the spring, are you only 65 kg? what position do you have the little lever in on the other side. (it has 3 settlings?) its best to actually measure it then work out the sag.

Simon,

That's good to know, part of my worry was that i might be riding along and the spring gives way on me!! The adjuster is in the middle position. I'll do the measure test later on. In the meantime have dropped Ohlins a message.

Cheers
52983140_410792756158436_1669731363101605888_n.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles