Kenevo Gen1 Kenevo Expert 2022 not turning on.

WillowsWarrior

Feb 26, 2023
Stirling
Hi all,

As the title says - Kenevo Expert 2022 not turning on - it's brand spanking new (as in it only got delivered this morning).

No indication of life from Mastermind TCU.
Battery fully charged (4 green leds).

Anyone seen this before?
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
It needs to be plugged into a dealer computer and setup.
It would still turn on even if the dealer didn’t set it up, you’d just get the turtle icon.

I would probably pull the TCU and make sure everything is plugged in. Mine did this after the first ride, apparently the TCU plug was barely plugged in wiggled itself loose.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As the title says - Kenevo Expert 2022 not turning on - it's brand spanking new (as in it only got delivered this morning).

No indication of life from Mastermind TCU.
Battery fully charged (4 green leds).

Anyone seen this before?
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
I had this on my bike a few days ago , battery fully charged but Mastermind wouldn't switch on tried charging it via USB- C , I cleaned the battery connections and it worked,

Do you have the app installed, any errors showing up??

WillowsWarrior

Feb 26, 2023
Stirling
I had this on my bike a few days ago , battery fully charged but Mastermind wouldn't switch on tried charging it via USB- C , I cleaned the battery connections and it worked,

Do you have the app installed, any errors showing up??
Not even had a chance to connect it the Mission Control app as it has not been able to turn on.

Apparently the firmware was upgraded (and fully setup) before it left the shop (got it from a very reputable dealer - but they are a few hundred miles away, so can't just pop round).

I've checked the connection between battery and motor, it looks perfect.

Going to ring a dealer that is closer to see if they can help/look at it.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
If it is confirmed setup at the dealer then you should unplug and plug back in all the connections.
Take off the non drive side crankarm and cover. Also the main battery plug is magnetic and loves to pick up crap, preventing it from seating all the way. there is also a plug on the TCU.

WillowsWarrior

Feb 26, 2023
Stirling
If it is confirmed setup at the dealer then you should unplug and plug back in all the connections.
Take off the non drive side crankarm and cover. Also the main battery plug is magnetic and loves to pick up crap, preventing it from seating all the way. there is also a plug on the TCU.

I did try a few of the things suggested - but didn't have any luck.

I managed to contact a more local dealer who was happy to have a quick look this morning, they disconnected the TCU and reconnected it, checked the motor/battery connection and didn't see anything obvious.

Their first thought is that somehow between the first shop and being delivered the TCU has somehow failed - he's going to try and get a hold of TCU to test that out.

Fingers crossed it'll be a fairly quick fix.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The battery in the original TCU was a non rechargeable lithium button battery typically lasting 3 years. Is the Mastermind battery now a rechargeable one? If so it is possible it was at a low state of charge to start with and since the bike shop would have had it plugged in to flash the firmware for some..........and probably not actually taken the bike for a ride at all, that battery may be completely discharged. That is all I can think could be the difference between when the bike shop set the bike up and it then being dispatched.............probably in pretty cold conditions. If it is like the Bosch Smart LED Remote controller, it can be charged via its USB port. Worth a try?

WillowsWarrior

Feb 26, 2023
Stirling
Well good news! It's all working now.

(I may have this wrong as its possible I may have misheard when they told me - I was too excited that it was fixed)

They swapped in a spare TCU and it worked, which pointed to an issue with the original - swapped the original back in, they managed to re update the firmware and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Turns on every time, have got it to connect to Mission Control.

Thanks to all for suggestions and pointers - much appreciated.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles