Kabon

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
Is anybody familiar with Kabon frames? I am trying to build a trail/ enduro bike this winter. I have come across this frame on Aliexpress. This will be my first EMTB build. Although I have built and serviced many conventional mountain bikes over the years.

I am wondering if anybody has any experience with this frame. I am also wonderingt o what degree people recommend the Bafang m600 motor setup. Also what battery options I have were I to go this route.

Another option I have seen is the Carbonda FM-E1126. It takes a Shimano EP8 motor that needs to be sourced elsewherre.
Thanks.

Attachments

• FM-E1126-M (4).pdf
    425.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
Looks decent, but no experience, sorry. Also it's not fully clear wether you're getting the whole kit or just the frame for the price. There's no choice of motor there...

If you are looking for a safe bet you can stick to Dengfu. Their quality is proven to be decent by many riders.

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
I think it says it comes with a frame, a motor "3 Types: Comes without Motor / With Bafang M510 Motor kit / With Bafang M600 Motor kit". And extra for a 620 WH Bafang battery. This frame looks to have more modern geometry than the DengFU. Which would be better for where I ride. I am mostly wondering how well the Bafang systems work compared to other systems such as the latest version of Shimano EP8. the the Carbonda FM-E1126 is similar. But would require purchasing a Shimano motor, battery and control system. Which adds more problems. I have had good luck with Chinese direct sale frames. I rode an ICAN P-9 for a couple years. Currently I have a Carbonda FM1102 and I am building a Carbonda FM909. All seem well made. So now I am excited about trying the EMTB possibilities. If people are happy with either of the Bafang systems, that is the route I would prefer.

Last edited:

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I think it says it comes with a frame, a motor "3 Types: Comes without Motor / With Bafang M510 Motor kit / With Bafang M600 Motor kit". And extra for a 620 WH Bafang battery. This frame looks to have more modern geometry than the DengFU. Which would be better for where I ride. I am mostly wondering how well the Bafang systems work compared to other systems such as the latest version of Shimano EP8. the the Carbonda FM-E1126 is similar. But would require purchasing a Shimano motor, battery and control system. Which adds more problems. I have had good luck with Chinese direct sale frames. I rode an ICAN P-9 for a couple years. Currently I have a Carbonda FM1102 and I am building a Carbonda FM909. All seem well made. So now I am excited about trying the EMTB possibilities.
ican is lightcarbon brand builds. they sale the LCES004. The two (with dengfu) are good frames, with historical who provide trust in reliability. It's depend of your expect, the dengfu is more "enduro" strong and heavy, for fast downhill and most "plug and play". lightcarbon most "trail" and light, needs more handwork to assemble (may be more easy with bafang batteries ?). What is for you an "modern geometry"

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
ican is lightcarbon brand builds. they sale the LCES004. The two (with dengfu) are good frames, with historical who provide trust in reliability. It's depend of your expect, the dengfu is more "enduro" strong and heavy, for fast downhill and most "plug and play". lightcarbon most "trail" and light, needs more handwork to assemble (may be more easy with bafang batteries ?). What is for you an "modern geometry"
"What is for you an modern geometry" 64 degree head angle more or less. 76-78 degree seat angle. Reasonably short chainstays. Short seat tube with allowance for decent dropper post. Somewhat oppulent reach.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
My point of vue.
The head/seat angle is easily manageable with forks/shocks travels/length and it's function of your expect (64° not the true for all practice/users), short base (-440) available if you use mulet but that's providing an bike more reactive (not necessarily an advantage), +-460 facilitate climbing and tolerance.

For me the principal characteristic of "modern geometry" is the long reach with short handlebar stem (mondraker creativeness) who involve to increase wheelbase to the detriment of manageability. the frame is an compromise with all this parameters. It doesn't existing "magic values" who provide the "better frame".

Very important also for an ebike. You need to taking account of the BB height, mostly for those who ride in technical ground. personally under 350mm, no way.

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
"What is for you an modern geometry" 64 degree head angle more or less. 76-78 degree seat angle. Reasonably short chainstays. Short seat tube with allowance for decent dropper post. Somewhat oppulent reach.
"Modern geometry" is pretty subjective. There is no hard rules. It's more a buzz word used by YouTube MTB spruikers, than it is a definitive guide for bike geometry. It's falls into the same category of nonsense marketing terms as "down country". Not only is is there no definitive "modern geometry" value. Even if there was, it would be subjective to the type of intended terrain/riding style, aswell as each manufactures idea of what modern is. For example, a "modern" XC bike is going to be very different from a "modern" DH bike, even from the same manufacturer. And there will be differences between each manufacturer on top of that. Each one claiming thier newest released design to be the most "modern" out there.

But if I were to try and loosly categorise it for a rowdy trail/enduro platform. I would suggest numbers like:
Slackish HTA. 64/65°ish
Longish reach. 500mm for large.
Short stem. 40mm
Wide bars. 800mm
Sheepish STA. 78°+
Longish chainstays. 450mm+
150/160mm rear travel.
160/170mm front travel
Short seattube, big dropper.
29" front.
Either 27.5" or 29", rear maybe dependant on frame size.
With a super complicated rear linkage design using no less than 8 interconected bars. You know, to optimise rear wheel travel path.

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
"With a super complicated rear linkage design using no less than 8 interconected bars. You know, to optimise rear wheel travel path.". . . Most of the DIY frames are Horst Link 4 bar. Which seems to work fairly well when done correctly. I am looking for a medium frame, 440-450mm reach seems typical for modern bikes. I guess a big part of what I am asking about id how do people like the Bafang motor system.

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
That was a dig at some of the name brand manufacturers with the crazy rear linkage designs they are coming out with lately.

But yes. Horst link / linkage driven single pivot is by far the most common suspension design in MTB, not just in Chinese manufacturing, but over all aswell.

Tomblarom

Feb 3, 2021
Germany
Wanted to revive this, as I saw someone posting this photo in a Facebook group:
1677181985343.png

I love this bike and the geometry looks very modern despite what Dengfu produces.. What do you think about it?

bisby

Jun 10, 2021
Spain
I love this frame, I've been following it for days, it has a very modern design. seller only has size 17, size 19 as of may. It will definitely be my next purchase.

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
I have this frame. the only concern is ground clearance is too low so if using original bafang 170mm crank too many pedal strike on trail. But u can change 160mm cranks to minimize it. Overall it's a good frame.

AlexRus

Mar 30, 2019
Russia
Действительно? 64-градусный угол наклона головы и 76,5-градусный угол седла — популярная геометрия десять лет назад? Где?
separate numbers do not work, only all together)
and on Chinese bikes they often turn out to be lies ((
look at reach and chainstay

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Just for reference,
1678203313603.jpg

BXT look like they'll be coming out with a 150mm travel VPP suspension trail emtb based off one of their regular trail bikes.

Apparently (with the exception of the chainstay length), the geometry through S, M, L & XL will be identical to their regular bikes with the xl having a reach of 495mm.

Unclear as to the battery style or overall weight. But I'll spread the word on what I uncover 👍🏿

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
I have this frame. the only concern is ground clearance is too low so if using original bafang 170mm crank too many pedal strike on trail. But u can change 160mm cranks to minimize it. Overall it's a good frame.
Do you have this as a 29" or a 27.5" wheelset?

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
separate numbers do not work, only all together)
and on Chinese bikes they often turn out to be lies ((
look at reach and chainstay
"on Chinese bikes they often turn out to be lies" Are you sure the geometry spec's on this bike is lies?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles